Hardships of modern gaming and Dead Or Alive 5

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Silence the Fallen

Hardships of modern gaming and Dead Or Alive 5

Post by Silence the Fallen » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Life is frustrating... I have had so many highs and lows with my Xbox 360 over the years. I absolutely LOVE the games that I have for it, but HATE the overall experience of playing them on the 360.
I'm sure everyone has reminisced about the gaming of decades past where you bought a game, put it in your system of choice and played. Simple, no? It should be. It's gaming. It's supposed to be fun. An escape. A distraction from the real world.

Then came systems with online functionality integrated into the core experience and my gaming spirit withered a bit. I had my Xbox gamer profile hacked a few years ago. I had to create a completely new account and lost all my DLC along with it. I'll be damned if I ever re-purchase it.

I've gotten by okay since. Although the experience of playing my 360 is still not great. I just recently got Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate for me and my son to play. We were excited. We opened up the game, put it in the system, and it goes something like this... Signing into your profile. Logging into Xbox live. Loads game. There is an update for your game. Signing out. Updates game. Restarts game. Designate a save location. (Okay. I only have the default HD. Why do half of the games ask me this?) Checking location for existing DLC...

By now both of our excitement has worn off a bit, but still looking forward to a few matches. Then we are greeted by this.

I have scoured the internet for a solution over the past few days. Ive checked my console settings, Xbox live account settings, deleted my profile and re-downloaded it to the console, even disconnected the console from the internet. I checked my other games like Soul Calibur 4 and 5, Virtua Fighter 5, Bayonetta and Onichanbara and they play fine, no issues. But, no matter what I do everything is crossed out on the DoA 5 title screen and I can't play a game that i bought new.

I've seen some ramblings about getting a Gold membership, but screw that, I'm not doing it. There is a reason I keep going back to the classics, and this experience has reminded me why.

Megamixer

Re: Hardships of modern gaming and Dead Or Alive 5

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:59 pm

This COULD be an issue with this specific game and Team Ninja/Tecmo because the Dead or Alive 5 series and its DLC has always been a mess. It looks like it is trying to ask you to download stuff to help the game be compatible with the Last Round follow-up, possibly because the different revisions are compatible with one another online and so Ultimate would need specific extra data for that. A lot of people forget that Last Round also came out on the 360/PS3.

This is the game that had one of the worst, most un-organised massive DLC catalogues I've ever seen. Oh and I've bought DLC for older versions of the game that simply doesn't work with the latest revisions, the content even listed as "unavailable" on the store despite the fact that I previously bought it. I've seen people complaining about this before and the lack of fixes from Tecmo.

Unfortunately, if they did something that bricked or damaged one of the older DOA5 versions, then it's unlikely that they will go back and fix it. They are all about DOA6 now and if anything about 5 was going to be updated any further then it would be Last Round.

Obviously this just kind of proves your point!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Silence the Fallen

Post by Silence the Fallen » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:34 am

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:59 pm
This COULD be an issue with this specific game and Team Ninja/Tecmo because the Dead or Alive 5 series and its DLC has always been a mess. It looks like it is trying to ask you to download stuff to help the game be compatible with the Last Round follow-up, possibly because the different revisions are compatible with one another online and so Ultimate would need specific extra data for that.
That's a really good point!

Because I couldn't access the xbox games store through the DOA menu to download the DLC, I'm attempting to look them up individually through the system. I have found a few of them and installed them. Hopefully when I get them all it'll run.

::Keeps fingers crossed::

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:09 am

Don't recall this happening to me when I brought vanilla DOA 5 last year. Granted, its not the version with over a grand's worth of DLC outfits but yeah.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Silence the Fallen

Post by Silence the Fallen » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:51 am

So it appears that DoA Ultimate gets a free upgrade to DoA Last Round?

I'm totally okay with this, but it was quite the ordeal. I started off downloading the DLC it told me to download in the picture. I couldn't do it from the store front in the game and had to access add-ons in the Xbox dashboard. After downloading what it told me to, the game would still not work. So I downloaded all of the free (36 of them!) DOA Ultimate and DOA Last Round DLC packs. That got the game working and even though I bought DoA Ultimate everything in game says DoA Last Round.

Big thanks to Megamixer for getting me pointed in the right direction. I honestly was not expecting a resolution. Just came here to vent my experience.

Now if you will excuse me. I have some DoA to play! :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Glad to hear it.

Yeah, I totally forgot that Ultimate upgrades itself to Last Round. I don't think it adds any new content to your game, just allows for compatibility between older/newer versions.

As for the DLC, you have to pay for all of the costumes but the Compatibility Catalogues are necessary to get them to display/function in your game. Why these couldn't just be an update to your game's data on the HDD, I don't know. If you're forced to download them then maybe it's because you have to have them to "see" other players' costumes online (ones that you haven't bought).

I love the game (and have bought LOADS of the DLC costumes) but the gradual updates have definitely been a huge mess.

Btw, if you ever go current-gen, you can upload your 360 DOA5 data to cloud storage and transfer it to the Xbox One version of Last Round. XBO/PS4 versions include most of the paid-for DLC characters as standard aside from Mai and the Dynasty Warriors girl.

Anyway...enjoy! :D
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.