Mega Drive Mini

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ALK

Re: Mega Drive Mini

Post by ALK » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:30 am

At E3, they had a giant Genesis controller on display to try out some of the games on the Mini for giggles.

https://twitter.com/JuiceboxCA/status/1 ... 9811054592

Hoping this tours at some UK cons and expos, I'd love to try it. XD
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

You've Been Gamed

Post by You've Been Gamed » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:16 pm

I would definitely buy one of these, but for the right price. I loved this console growing up

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:15 am

As if the non-functional Mega CD/32X/S+K/Sonic 1 set wasnt enough, Japan is now getting a collector's edition with 22 tiny carts.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/ ... KmfdJwFzBs
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 am

Awesome! It's the vastly superior Japanese artwork too.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 am

Thought I'd bump this in anticipation of it's release this week. By all accounts reviews are excellent.

But, have to admit in having a little cold feet about buying in the last couple of weeks. With the excellent Sega collection on 360, with emulators on my modded original xbox with older games...regardless of how good it is, how much do I need yet another mini console added to the cupboard? I'm starting to become an accidental collector again Lol

Perhaps on a good deal. But for now, perhaps not.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Not out in the UK until 4th of October, but the 6 button pads are out on Friday.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:55 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:22 am
Thought I'd bump this in anticipation of it's release this week. By all accounts reviews are excellent.

But, have to admit in having a little cold feet about buying in the last couple of weeks. With the excellent Sega collection on 360, with emulators on my modded original xbox with older games...regardless of how good it is, how much do I need yet another mini console added to the cupboard? I'm starting to become an accidental collector again Lol

Perhaps on a good deal. But for now, perhaps not.
Yeah, that had been my thought, that Mega Drive has been done to death, but the game selection is at least different enough to counter that. Sure Sonic 1 and 2 will always be on these things, but the Mickey Mouse games, Megaman Wily Wars (The cheapest way to own it legit), and even Mega Drive Tetris (Again, only 3 known copies in the world so only way to "own" it.), the uncommon and very rare/pricey stuff make it worth it.

But yeah, I'll wait a little bit when money is good again.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:00 am

Yes, I'm just wondering unless you are a collector of mini systems, who is this aimed at? The casual retro fans probably already have the At games machines or a collection for another console...and Sega have devalued their own product over the years with the releases up until this, their own mini system, despite how excellent it sounds. Perhaps I'm misreading it. But I think Nintendo have got them right, Sony got it terribly wrong, and Sega have not made their titles exclusive enough to create demand.

Funny, a week earlier I would have raced out and bought it! :lol:

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:58 am

AceGrace wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 pm
Not out in the UK until 4th of October, but the 6 button pads are out on Friday.
Although worth pointing out compatible 6 button pads have been out for ages.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:37 am

I'd think it's about as good as it could be and a worthy, if belated, competitor to the SNES Classic.

Owners of the AtGames machines, given their infamous shortcomings, should have few qualms about getting one of these as an upgrade.

It fares less well against the PC and console compilations, which offer a richer experience with many additional features, but even there the exclusives are going to swing it for many.

If you wait around for a bargain you might eventually get it a bit cheaper, but I can't see it bombing as hard as the PS Classic did.