What was the final word in Lunar Lander games?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

actlan

What was the final word in Lunar Lander games?

Post by actlan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:27 am

Lunar Lander was one of the original Atari arcade games. It was copied and added to on many platforms. Does anyone know the ultimate expression of this subgenre? How far did it get? I can remember seeing Lunar Lander type games as recently as Windows 3.1.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Re: What was the final word in Lunar Lander games?

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:37 pm

Well it must have done something right to have all these ports and later versions!

I remember the Apollo 11 version on the Speccy!
Press Play On Tape

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:27 am

I'd think you could say that it evolved into the realistic space simulator genre that's currently represented by games like Orbiter and Kerbal Space Programs, both of which offer highly realistic lunar landing simulations among their other offerings.

demon

Post by demon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:09 am

I would guess there are Android/iOS games which take advantage of a phone's gravitometer to control the spacecraft by turning the phone itself?

actlan

Post by actlan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Nah, I mean the direct lineage from Lunar Lander. Not Kerbal, the line died out before then. Besides, lunar landing is just a part of it. I remember seeing Lunar Lander on Vic-20, and just about every other platform. Windows 3.1 was the last I remember seeing.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:27 pm

actlan wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:30 pm
Nah, I mean the direct lineage from Lunar Lander. Not Kerbal, the line died out before then. Besides, lunar landing is just a part of it. I remember seeing Lunar Lander on Vic-20, and just about every other platform. Windows 3.1 was the last I remember seeing.
I wouldn't say that the line ever died out entirely. There are seemingly multiple modern re-makes around if nothing else.

My take is just that once realistic space flight simulators started to be able to do the Moon landing, around the early 90s, it rather got subsumed into that genre. If you're looking for a modern game that's specifically about that, you could perhaps try Lunar Flight but gameplay-wise it's basically a special case of Kerbal.

On the other hand, if you're looking for more arcade-like descendants, there's also the lineage that goes the way of Gravitar and Thrust. Oids is probably the high watermark there in terms of gameplay, but there was also Lander, a 1999 game, that went full 3D.