Konami Anniversary Collections

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ALK

Re: Konami Anniversary Collections

Post by ALK » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:52 pm

Rest of the Castlevania line up.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... _on_switch

Well, there goes one of the selling points for the Mega Drive Mini.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:38 am

I see the arcade collection is in the xbox store.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:40 am

Dreadful line-up for the CV comp. I'm curious in a car-crash kind of way as to how they'll pad out the Contra one now. Include GBA Contra III or PlayChoice 10 Contra as separate games?

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue May 07, 2019 2:04 am

I'm still looking forward to these and keeping an eye out for them on the Xbox store. I'd like to see both SNES and mega drive games on there. As an ardent SNES fan back then I would never have lowered myself to playing the MD titled but I recall the sega magazines raved about it.
I don't really have any interest in revisiting the 8-bit.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:19 am

Picked up the Arcade Collection the other day on PS4... the games here are well presented with some decent display options. I'd have liked an auto-fire option for the shooters and there's not that much content here for £15.99. The free e-book that comes with it is lovely, but this is exactly why I'd have preferred a physical version with a proper printed book. The trophy list is also quite disappointing... just high score challenges. Overall I would recommend it if you love your 80s Konami arcades, but perhaps wait until it's reduced in price if you want value-for-money!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri May 10, 2019 11:58 pm

batman877 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:19 am
Picked up the Arcade Collection the other day on PS4... the games here are well presented with some decent display options. I'd have liked an auto-fire option for the shooters and there's not that much content here for £15.99. The free e-book that comes with it is lovely, but this is exactly why I'd have preferred a physical version with a proper printed book. The trophy list is also quite disappointing... just high score challenges. Overall I would recommend it if you love your 80s Konami arcades, but perhaps wait until it's reduced in price if you want value-for-money!
I agree. These old compilations need to give decent value for money as it is just money for old rope. Konami have some outstanding game history to utilise- if done well. I've often bleated on about their perplexing attitude to the Silent Hill franchise. Gamers screaming out for decent remasters or further SH games. Really don't get them.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 am

No auto-fire? The individual AA releases had it...

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue May 21, 2019 4:02 pm

So Castlevania has been released. Has anybody got it? I'm not sure of I really want it now TBH.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue May 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Depends how much you wanna play Bloodlines I guess, which the cart is quite pricey and assuming you're not picking up the Mega Drive Mini.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Wed May 22, 2019 8:11 am

In somewhat bizarre news, Konami are have now they are going to patch in overseas versions, auto-fire and TATE - i.e. everything they took OUT of the original releases... the mind boggles.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed May 22, 2019 12:05 pm

BellyFullOfHell wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:11 am
In somewhat bizarre news, Konami are have now they are going to patch in overseas versions, auto-fire and TATE - i.e. everything they took OUT of the original releases... the mind boggles.
If they do I'll be buying for my Switch!

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue May 28, 2019 2:18 pm

3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue May 28, 2019 4:46 pm

It would be interesting to see Super Probotector and Contra 3 "side by side".

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:16 am

Konami has patched all three collections so Japanese versions of games can be chosen in the "extras" menu. Which is great news for several games across all three collections as the Japanese versions are often seen as the "definitive" versions (Castlevania III, Contra Hard Corps, Haunted Castle ad many more...)
I've been putting quite a few hours into the collections, they've been rather great (in my opinion), with the CV one stealing many hours away. I look forward to finally getting the Contra one this week so I can revisit those games again.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:40 am

They're a mixed bag for me, simply because it's only really the NES games on either that I haven't much experience with. The SNES/MD versions, have been hammered over the years, and I've no interest in GB games whatsoever. Still feel that Konami could have made more of the 50th Anniversary Collection, even forgetting licenced stuff just off the top of my head they could have included:

Jailbreak
Jackal
Green Beret
Yie-Ar Kung-Fu
Mikie
Track n Field
Hypersports
Sunset Riders
Vendetta
Crime Fighters

That's literally the first bunch of stuff that popped up, and as they're basically throwing ROM's into an emulator shell at this point, I fail to see why they've expended so little effort on it. They've lost a sale here, because I'd already picked up most of the title available separately, and there was no extra incentive at all. A missed opportunity. Still, it is Konami, all together now.......