Konami Anniversary Collections

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ALK

Konami Anniversary Collections

Post by ALK » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:32 am

Konami has announced 3 Anniversary Collections to celebrate 50 years of Konami, one with 80s arcade titles, one with Castlevania games and the other with Contra games, coming to Switch, XBONE, PS4. and Steam.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... ndo_switch

Just don't ask them about a Metal Gear Collection. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Re: Konami Anniversary Collections

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:19 am

Some big omissions there, and the 3 collections make it seem more like latching onto the 50th anniversary as a marketing thing rather than a seriously considered celebration of the work.

Still, there are some good titles in there (I'll probably fold and buy the arcade collection for Salamander).

Digital only, so I'm thinking of these more as cheapish bundles than a serious collection of works. $2.50 per game isn't unreasonable. I do hope they plug the gaps, having stuff like Iron Horse and Time Pilot missing is annoying.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Castlevania Collection will be a definite purchase for me

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:40 pm

Digital only ........ no thanks
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

merman

Post by merman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:38 pm

Mixed feelings on this... Digital only but cheap, wondering if it will have the care & attention paid to other compilations (e.g. SNK's recent effort)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:26 pm

Where is Violent Storm? I keep waiting and waiting for a day when I can play it properly outside of MAME.

Also odd that they didn't even bother with Simon's Quest to "complete" the NES trilogy.

It's a positive thing overall though. Still, would have been nice to see everything whacked together for one big compilation (digital OR physical) rather than broken apart like this.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:10 am

Just once I'd like them to rerelease Sunset Riders at some point on a modern system.

Oh well, maybe a 90s arcade collection if these do well?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:17 am

A good remastered Silent Hill collection is being cried out for. A 'remastered collection' doesn't mean the second and third games in a rushed out double set. Perhaps SH 1-4, either as a set or individually, remastered with the same love that RE got in REmake for Cube....that is whats wanted!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:21 am

These sets look like more like cash ins. I know that's the name of the game of course, but these companies tend to 'Namco Museum' the hell out of things, milking old stuff for as much as they possibly can. Many gamers would prefer originals to emulators etc...but you got to see people right, give them value for money and a fair go. IMO.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:58 am

I'd probably buy the Contra and Castlevania collections just for the SNES iterations, especially if they're a budget download package. Two of my favourite games of evah.
I can't see them being that cheap though.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:11 am

Arcade classic pack is $20, I'd expect the others to be the same.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:30 am

In for Contra and Castlevania for sure, especially if we get some of the more obscure ports of Castlevania releases.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Doesn't look like all that much of a collection really...
Press Play On Tape

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:49 am

I'd think that it's more of a Gradius collection with some makeweights than what would spring to mind when I think of Konami's arcade games.

Ah well, if you like their scrolling shooters it's an easy purchase and who's to say that there won't be further offerings on different themes?

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:23 pm

Well the arcade collection is simply most of the titles already released under the Arcade Archives banner, so they're decent versions, but it's a bit galling for idiots like me that have bought them all at £7.00 a pop.

The CV collection could be alright, though having just released CotN and Rondo as a separate double-pack, I can't see either of those being included. I'd I'd guess at the emulation being as bare-bones as that pack, as somebody else hasn't already done the work for them like they have with the 50th Collection. Kudos for taking up one slot with a Game Boy game that was considered mediocre even back in the day as well!

The Contra one could be interesting if they include some of the PS1/PS" titles among the final four.

Pretty poor effort all-round through really, even setting aside the stuff stuck in licencing hell, we're still missing some incredible games here. Not much of a celebration really, but then again I don't know why I'm surprised - this is Konami after all.