The Google Stadia

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

The Google Stadia

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:22 pm

Oh yay, its a device that streams games

IT IS NOT THE ON LIVE!!
Its a controller type thing

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... -interview
Its great, till your internet goes down or you want to play on a rubbish internet connection
Bit like On live then

merman

Re: The Google Stadia

Post by merman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Nope, not for me. This whole idea of games as a service and having to stream them worries me, doubling down on the problems of "losing" games from your digital library. (Look at all the websites dedicated to telling you what's on the film/TV streaming services and how often they put out messages saying "X is being removed from Service A).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:44 pm

Not interested either.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:17 pm

So another platform for your multiplats then.

Pass. If you can't afford a console and don't mind streaming, I suppose you might get something out of it but I always want an offline option for my consoles should I have no Internet for whatever reason.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:05 am

No, I just don't trust Google not to be dicks, imagine your gaming to be interupted by a random ad like on Youtube, I can forsee all manner of that type of thing on top of the usual microtransactions crap.
ALK wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:17 pm
So another platform for your multiplats then.

What would also concern me is Google's deep pockets and their potential to buy up existing franchises as exclusives.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:21 pm

I'll see what the games are before I judge it but can't see it being for me. I don't care about it being digital, most of my purchases these days come from PSN sales, but my internet ain't that great for streaming games.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:33 pm

I can see it becoming a significant platform for the sort of games that you've got to be on-line to play anyway, especially multiplayer shooters and MMOs. Using Google's existing infrastructure can keep the extra lag due to streaming down to a bare minimum, and possibly even reduce the overall latency for games where your nearest server would otherwise be on a different continent. If you end up with better graphics, faster response times and more robust connectivity it's a win all round.

However, for single player games with only local content there's no real upside, and I'd hope that Google don't attempt to buy into that market by getting those kinds of games as exclusives.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:39 pm

Looks like another On Live, unless Google puts some serious cash into advertising and pushing this thing.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:41 pm

Some Doom Eternal on Stadia footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRJMYZUzjA

demon

Post by demon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:16 am

I think this can be potentially a game-changer like Netflix or Spotify.

Obviously, music CDs and movie DVDs/BlueRays didn't cease to exist because of streaming services, those are still very much available for people who want them, but streaming music and movies DID shift their markets big time.

Personally, I am a huge fan of streaming music and movies, even tho they work very differently for me: I watch movies and TV series almost always ONCE, while I have listened to lots of songs or records hundreds or even thousands of times.

Either way, streaming means I don't ever have to worry about dealing with physical copies. I am aware of the fact that a lot of people covet physical property to boost a sense of self-worth, but I also think that physical goods "enslave" their owners into needing to allocate them physical space in their house, keeping them clean and functional (this is usually not a significant concern with digital discs, but with other goods), protecting them from loss/damage/theft when carried around. With streaming, I don't have to worry about it at all, and as long as I have a phone, tablet or computer nearby, I have access to them everywhere.

I don't understand why people are concerned with their internet availability, where do you live, in the 90s? My home connection has almost never been down save for a couple of short maintenance events per year, and even in that case I can resort to 4G in the meantime. Or I can just wait half an hour before it goes back up.

Now, on the other hand, I too have some doubts that with GAMING I would be interested in a streaming service. But for me the reason is that hell... I am a RETROGAMER! I think the vast majority of "new" games suck :D So I don't think it will be worth at all for me to subscribe to a streaming service which gives me mostly FPS games which I find pretty much all identical to each other. But I can totally see how this can be THE best solution for people who indeed like contemporary games, especially those who get bored quickly and are always looking for the next title.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:35 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG06H7IQ9Aw
Digital foundry is on it again
It requires a 25mb connection MINIMUM to work

Thing is, I will always want a psychical item, a lot of games I have I have had since I gotten them (30+ years)

Modern games have changed.
These days they come out un-finished with day one patches, then a year or so later the next one comes out (if it sold), most are just throw away titles just to get a quick quid.
This might be good for modern ones.

Then we get to mobile games, this is what we might end up getting, im not talking about the good stuff, im talking about the barrel scraping stuff, the "clones" of what ever is popular right now and filled with adds,

That gets me to the next worry
Adverts, whats to stop them from having in game adds? Playing the newest battle royal game, die and add for Burger king pops up

And lastly
Developers, will they be getting a decent cut of the money?
Are we going to buy the game at full price or is it a monthly sub?
Full price for a download is always a bit shitty

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:07 am

If they go the way of a monthly sub, like Netflix for games, I'd be in if the range of games was decent. Not the massive slew of indie stuff that's taking over stores, but the big name titles. I'd be up for paying a tenner or so a month, playing a game for a month or two til I finish it, then never looking back. At that price, rental games are ok.

If they're expecting me to pay £40-50 for a new game that could disappear from the network at any time, count me out.

I don't mind digital gaming, but if I'm 'buying' rather than 'renting', I want a download I can return to in a year or ten for my favourite games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:01 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:07 am
If they go the way of a monthly sub, like Netflix for games, I'd be in if the range of games was decent. Not the massive slew of indie stuff that's taking over stores, but the big name titles. I'd be up for paying a tenner or so a month, playing a game for a month or two til I finish it, then never looking back. At that price, rental games are ok.

If they're expecting me to pay £40-50 for a new game that could disappear from the network at any time, count me out.

I don't mind digital gaming, but if I'm 'buying' rather than 'renting', I want a download I can return to in a year or ten for my favourite games.
I can grantee it wont be a tenner, there isnt a lot of modern titles that interest me. (Think only new DOOM and Crackdown 3 do, the later is 60 bloody quid for the download version on PC)
It will end up having a lot of indie stuff (Bit like the Switch)

The main problem I have with digital only games is preservation, you do get some really good titles (Enjoyed the Scott Pilgrim one) that get taken off then end up lost unless somebody rips them.
Unless limted run do copies of it its gonna be stuck in digital hell.

Another thing is, the on the go idea is great till you get to the outside world and realise that a lot of these free internet connections are a bit plank. If you could kinda temporally store it (like what Netflix does) offline for on the go play then it would be more useful.
I have seen this with a few phone games, they require an internet connection for no good reason (single player RPGs) and wont let you play with out it

In short
Cloud gaming is good in theory, but like clouds, it can blow away and your just left with a ball of eye burning sun shining and nothing to do but play what ever app you have on your phone.

Right now my Vita gets a lot of play due to it just sliding seductively into my pocket and it just being so damn nice to play on for a while
Phones batteries tend to drain fast when constantly using them while the wifi connection is on

Also
SMEG! I tend to write long posts about stuff like this

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:07 am

The Digital Foundry analysis doesn't convince me that Google has solved the inherent problems of streaming - and that's before we even get into the question of whether streaming is at all desirable. The lag figures they're talking about suggest a delay of about ten frames in a 60fps game, and that's in the highly controlled environment Google was showing it off in. The 25Mbit connection requirement is going to be a struggle too, as will data caps.

But then, there's what streaming means in terms of a cultural change for gaming. Preservation efforts have come primarily from users rather than companies - whether that's people dumping ROMs or users producing patches to keep old PC games running on modern hardware. A streaming service means that the player never gets anywhere near a copy of the code, and while it'd be lovely to think that Google could preserve these games properly, the recent Myspace music loss incident shows that it's a bad idea to trust so much data to a single entity. In particular, I dread to think what will happen to licensed games - when the distribution contract ends, that game will be pulled from servers like current digital releases are, but with no local copies this effectively means that the game disappears forever. A game like Marvel vs Capcom 2, which became a long-lived staple of the tournament fighting scene, could never have the same sort of lifespan. And while there wouldn't be a reason for most games to leave the service, there's no reason for most shows to leave Netflix but they still do.

Even if you've somehow ended up on this forum but have no interest in playing older games, there are reasons to be wary. What happens if you love a Stadia game and want to mod it? Well tough luck buddy, the code's on Google's server and you're not getting access to it. Remember when Nintendo wanted to stop the Super Smash Bros Melee stream at Evo, and even shut down the tournament itself? A streaming service makes it much easier for a company to exercise that sort of control. When a dispute erupted between Blizzard and the Korean e-Sports Association over StarCraft II broadcasting rights, KeSPA and its players continued to play the original game - with a streaming service, Blizzard could have just shut that original game down.

There are some exciting aspects to game streaming - remote updating, near instant start-up times, and possibly a solution to cheating in competitive online games. It should definitely be an option for people. But I feel that there are too many issues with it for me to really want to endorse it over the existing model of local hardware/software ownership, and I would hope to see as few exclusives as possible on Stadia because of those concerns.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:18 am

That's a great analysis Nick. Many of us have been shouting 'what about when they turn the servers off' for years and the early services are being shut off, the most recent being the Wii Shop Channel.
Xbox Live: RetroBob