Mame Advice please

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: Mame Advice please

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:31 pm

Ok, merged set, fair enough. All mine have been split sets so I'm used to working that way. No idea why you're having problems, MAME is supposed to work ok with merged sets now, but I've never gone down that route. If I had the time and space, I'd give it a go to figure it out for you, but I'm in the middle of a big DIY project at the mo' and only have a piddly little tablet for Windows and it's full to the gunnels with crap as it is.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 pm

The download was from the Archive.org, not sure if that was the best place to go now, ha ha. I think the Rom set I got might not be complete though. There are few comments about issues on with the download being corrupt. Mine wasn't corrupt,but the site says the download is 58GB, but my completed download is 48GB, which might mean a chunk is missing maybe? Not sure...

They do make loads of changes though. For example Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was a favourite of mine in a local seaside arcade back when I was a little'un. Anyway, tried it in that Mame set, didn't work, said it needed the Atari System One BIOS Rom. Found said file on the web, put it in the zip and it was now missing just two files still. Downloaded the BIOS from two other website, both still missing these files. Downloaded MAME v153, put the rom in there and it works! :)

Anyway I've got nearly 200 games now, so I'm nearly finished for the time being, far too many old classics to get stuck into!

merman

Post by merman » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:37 pm

MattyC64c wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:36 pm
The download was from the Archive.org, not sure if that was the best place to go now, ha ha. I think the Rom set I got might not be complete though. There are few comments about issues on with the download being corrupt. Mine wasn't corrupt,but the site says the download is 58GB, but my completed download is 48GB, which might mean a chunk is missing maybe? Not sure...

They do make loads of changes though. For example Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom was a favourite of mine in a local seaside arcade back when I was a little'un. Anyway, tried it in that Mame set, didn't work, said it needed the Atari System One BIOS Rom. Found said file on the web, put it in the zip and it was now missing just two files still. Downloaded the BIOS from two other website, both still missing these files. Downloaded MAME v153, put the rom in there and it works! :)

Anyway I've got nearly 200 games now, so I'm nearly finished for the time being, far too many old classics to get stuck into!
There's a reason. As MAME develops, the emulation of certain games changes - it might be a better emulation of a particular chip, or breaking protection. This also includes the BIOS files and samples.

So the ROM sets effectively match the MAME build number. Match the ROM set to the MAME build and you will have fewer issues.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube