Where can I play the classic game Elite?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dave4shmups

Where can I play the classic game Elite?

Post by dave4shmups » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Elite only came out here in the States on the Apple II, and I do have an app on my iPad where you can play and buy Spectrum games, but using the onscreen keyboard can be a real chore. But I still really want to play it-should I just download a BBC Micro emulator, or is there a website where you can play the game?

FatTrucker

Re: Where can I play the classic game Elite?

Post by FatTrucker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:04 pm

There were versions of Elite on most formats throughout the 80's (even the NES!). I'm pretty sure the original game is free on the Frontier Developments website and also a link to a browser version. F Dev are still going and still headed by David Braben who co-wrote the original game. The latest version Elite Dangerous is pretty good if you like a chilled space sim.

My personal favourite version of the original game was on the Amiga and AtariST. Its funamentally the same as the original Beeb and Speccy Versions but with full colour filled vector graphics and better sound and music.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:28 pm

Ian Bell keeps a page with all the published versions of Elite here:

http://www.elitehomepage.org/game.htm

As for which ones to go for, the NES one is probably the easiest to get up and running in an emulator as well as being one of Ian's personal favourites. However, if you want that classic BBC Micro feel, the emulator I'd recommend is BeebEM:

http://www.mkw.me.uk/beebem/index.html

Alternatively, there's a remake for modern PCs called Oolite:

http://www.oolite.org

I'm guessing you'll also have heard of Elite: Dangerous but, if you haven't, there's that too.

dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 pm

OK, thanks for the info and the links! The Frontier website lists the game Elite, but there doesn't appear to by anyway to play it on your PC. I've read about the NES version of Elite, and I wonder if it would work on one of the many NES clone consoles out today, because most of them have a NTSC-PAL switch.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:30 am

dave4shmups wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:17 pm
OK, thanks for the info and the links! The Frontier website lists the game Elite, but there doesn't appear to by anyway to play it on your PC. I've read about the NES version of Elite, and I wonder if it would work on one of the many NES clone consoles out today, because most of them have a NTSC-PAL switch.
If you want to play either of the PC Versions of Elite you'll need to use DOSBox or some other emulator, since Windows 10 generally cannot run old DOS programs. You can download the game files from Ian Bell's website above though.

I don't think the NES version will work on the NES Classic just by downloading the ROM file, but it's apparently possible to get it working if you install one of the NES cores from RetroArch. At that point it's no longer a candidate for the easiest version to emulate though.

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:53 pm

There was a GBA homebrew version that was awesome. I think it was based on the NES version. Brilliant if you want to play with a controller.
Scott me up beamie!

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:36 pm

There is also "Elite : The New Kind" - which is an unofficial Windows conversion of Elite and available at this site - https://www.new-kind.com/

I believe the GBA version was based on this (and there was a Nintendo DS version as well based off the GBA version)
Where logic won't work, I will