Is the Wii U still worth getting in 2019?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

English Invader

Is the Wii U still worth getting in 2019?

Post by English Invader » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:04 pm

Following my recent frustrations with the PS4, I thought I'd consider some of the older(ish) systems that didn't do so well. I've heard good things about the Wii U and, while the public didn't take to it, most gamers who have given the system a chance can't speak highly enough.

My only reservation is over potential online server dependency and whether Nintendo are likely to pull the plug any time soon. I could also use some advice on any potential hardware flaws to look out for and game recommendations would be welcome as well.

RetroBob

Re: Is the Wii U still worth getting in 2019?

Post by RetroBob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:20 pm

I have a Wii U and loved that console but personally I'd get a Switch: many of the best games have or are getting Switch versions. Developers never really used the screen properly but certainly one of the things that people loved about the Wii U, myself included was 'off TV play' i.e. someone else could watch TV and you were playing on the Wii U screen. So, functionality wise the Wii U is basically a prototype for what became the Switch.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:14 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:20 pm
I have a Wii U and loved that console but personally I'd get a Switch
I can't afford a Switch for reasons detailed in the PS4 thread I posted in off-topic. The Wii U appeals because it can be had for in and around £100. I just want to know how internet dependant it is and whether it's likely to be a doorstop in a year's time.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Yes but it depends, on what you want it for, the games you like etc.

Personally I think there is a strong case for owning a Wii U.

Much is made of the games being ported to the Switch but there are still exclusive games, and good ones too, like Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3, and many of the ports are cheaper on the Wii U compared to the Switch, also many of the last gen games ported to the Wii U are arguably definitive editions.

The Wii U also doubles as a Wii. This is a big plus for me, as it expands the library significantly and allows you to play Wii games through HDMI with little fuss.

The Wii U also has the virtual console which may never be on the Switch in it's current form.

Don't bother with the white unit as the internal memory is too small.

It's good idea to inspect the gamepad of a used system, because they're not cheap to replace, so check the touchscreen works and isn't scratched beyond whatever you can tolerate. Also check the sticks and buttons obviously.

I think a handful of games require a necessary update, such as Injustice Gods Amongst Us, and some games such as Smash will give you the optimal version with an update. Xenoblade X has an optional update pack to improve perfomance but it's not the end of the world if you somehow miss it. I recently downloaded the free Monster Hunter 3 ultimate DLC so that should still be available .

It's anyone's guess how long it's online support will last, so enjoy the free online multiplayer. My guess is online play will be the first to go, but I can see Nintendo supporting DLC, virtual console and game updates for quite some time. also Nintendo tend to give a reasonable amount of notice, so you should have time to download anything (or at least 1st party content) you think you'll need/want in future.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:34 pm

English Invader wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:14 pm
RetroBob wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:20 pm
I have a Wii U and loved that console but personally I'd get a Switch
I can't afford a Switch for reasons detailed in the PS4 thread I posted in off-topic. The Wii U appeals because it can be had for in and around £100. I just want to know how internet dependant it is and whether it's likely to be a doorstop in a year's time.
It's a doorstop now as it's been supplanted by the Switch but that doesn't stop there from being some great games on it already. You can do two things I suppose... keep saving and buy a Switch in however long that takes, or buy a Wii U now.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:42 pm

If you're not going to get a Switch anytime soon (There are rumors of a new model coming this year which could be a mini handheld only model at a cheaper price) then you can get many of the games that were ported to Switch for much less. There still the odd exclusives like Xenoblade Chronicles X (Which doesnt sound like there's going to be a Switch version anytime soon.), Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Paper Mario and others, not to mention the whole Wii library (Bar the download titles.). Heck, Breath of the Wild hasnt shot up in price yet on Wii U, so you can enjoy one of the Switch's best games without actually owning a Switch. Might be worth looking at CeX's Wii U section on its website and start writing down a wishlist.

The drawback through is we have no idea how much longer the online multiplayer servers for games like Mario Kart and Splatoon are going to last for. Plenty to do offline though something like Splatoon has online as its main thing plus we've seen Miiverse and the Wii Shop shut down in recent times. I suspect the Wii U eShop will be around for sometime, I mean the Wii Shop lasted nearly a decade and a half.

But yeah, I'd easily recommend a Wii U for someone not buying a Switch soon. If anything, you won't find much reason to rebuy most games when you do.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:32 pm

I'd still get a WiiU if there's one at the right price for a bulk lot, it has some excellent titles on it.

They seem to hold their price quite well though, as most Nintendo consoles over other brands. Perhaps it is due to less of them meaning there isn't an oversupply as the likes of Wii and DSLs etc are quite cheap to find, due to being so plentiful

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:04 am

I've still got mine set up. It's a got a great library of first party games and, while some of those have been ported to the 3DS and Switch, I'd suspect that most of the rest won't be. On the third party front though, it's dire. Rayman Legends is still about the only AAA game I can think of where you wouldn't be better off playing it on something else.

Also, the topic came up a couple of years back and I don't think that much has changed in the meantime, so you might find it worth a read:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54897

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:20 am

It's the most modern console I own.

There are some things it does exceptionally well, but it never seemed to get the love or support it deserved. As soon as the Switch was announced, it seemed to be dead in the water.

As well as the first party games, it works great for the lego games, when I'm playing against one of my kids as it doesn't do that annoying split screen thing, also the games seem to be relatively cheap atm, considering they are usually fairly extortionate on Nintendo consoles. (Wii aside of course)
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:18 am

I decided to hold out for the Switch in the end. In the meantime, I decided to get an original Wii in view of backwards compatibility with the GameCube and convenient support for RGB and component. I already have a good GC collection with more than enough games to take advantage of this. It'll also give me a chance to play New Super Mario Bros and the Wii version of the 2009 Ghostbusters game.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:28 pm

Considering Nintendo didn't really deem the online facilities of the Wii worthy of maintaining for an extended period of time after the Wii U came out, I'd assume the same now the Switch has been around for a while.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:06 pm

One thing I'd add is that if you've never played the original Wii and have an interest in some of the games on that then the Wii-U is an even better prospect as the Wii "mode" is flawless. So even if there are only a handful of Wii-U games on your agenda, there are still more things to pick up. The console was slated for being a Wii+ but when under-telly space is at a premium, you can't knock a 2-in-1 console with two libraries to choose from. Neither of my current Wii or Wii-U collections are that big anymore (after clear-outs) but combined, it's a pretty sweet selection of games.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:40 pm

English Invader the Wii consoles and games are all 50% of in Game so you get Wii U games from 50p Zombie U & Mighty No 9 also exclusives like Pikimon 3 for £7.

My Wii U has sound problems either garbled some games have garbled sound with speech or perfect sound with missing speech. Not sure if I’m just unlucky.

I would also recommend Project Zero Maiden of the Dark Water it’s my absolute favourite Wii U game. It was a Game exclusive box set and I paid £50 for it New, sadly it’s double that price second hand.

Exclusives Wise
Wonderful 101
Devils Third a incredibly violent Team Ninja game. Ine of the bosses Jane Doe made me hate the game, as she was impossible to beat(for am
Super Mario 3D World
Tokyo Mirage
Sega All Star Racing the Wii version has more characters
Project Zero Maiden of the Dark Water
Wind Waker HD
Rodea the Sky Soldier
Shovel Knight maybe not exclusive but good

The cons as a lot of people are going for a full set games are harder to come.

And it’s backwards compatible with the Wii
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:14 pm

I'd add Zombie U to that list. It's available on other platforms, but the use of the Wii controller is excellent (as a map, looking in your bag, a camera etc.)

A really underrated survival horror game, and one not set in the US for once.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:13 pm

English Invader wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:18 am
I decided to hold out for the Switch in the end. In the meantime, I decided to get an original Wii in view of backwards compatibility with the GameCube and convenient support for RGB and component. I already have a good GC collection with more than enough games to take advantage of this. It'll also give me a chance to play New Super Mario Bros and the Wii version of the 2009 Ghostbusters game.
You should pick up Metroid Prime 3 to play in preparation for 4.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823