What PC operating system do you use?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

So what operating system do you use?

DOS /Windows 3.x
2%
Windows 95
No votes
Windows 98
5%
Windows 2000
No votes
Windows XP
54%
A mixture of some of the above
14%
All of the above
2%
Windows Vista
5%
Mac OS X
10%
Other
10%

Total votes: 63

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:19 pm

Lorfarius wrote:Am I the only Vista voter? :(
Never mind, get a microphone plugged in..turn on the speech recognition from the control panel and repeat the following:

"Open word pad"
"I don't want to die alone. I don't want to die alone. I don't want to die alone"
"Close word pad"
"Yes, save it"

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:23 am

I'm not voting because I use more than one and there's non-PC OSs there and the post is pointless and stupid :P

But I use Windows Vista HP on my laptop. XP Pro on my desktop and the rare and exciting XP x64 on my work machine.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

RetroRyan

Post by RetroRyan » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:29 am

I have XP on my main computer and Vista on my laptop.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:16 am

Hello Dudly :D
Dudley wrote:I'm not voting because I use more than one..
Oh look a 'mixture of some of the above' option, where’d that come from then :shock: :wink:
Dudley wrote:...and there's non-PC OSs there...

Yup, aha, aha, I did say PC operating systems, yup, I did!!!
(somebody else added stuff, because somebody else complaned that I only had PC operating systems :roll: )
Dudley wrote:...and the post is pointless and stupid :P
Well it's not pointless and stupid, because it shows what platform most people are using emulators on, so there :P :P

Good post Dud :D :wink:

By the way: are you sure it's his tale :shock: :D

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:04 am

GarryG wrote:Hello Dudly :D
Dudley wrote:I'm not voting because I use more than one..
Oh look a 'mixture of some of the above' option, where’d that come from then :shock: :wink:
Which is worthless because it makes no distinction between a Linux/ OS-X user and an XP/Vista user.

By the way: are you sure it's his tale :shock: :D
No it's not any kind of story.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:46 pm

woody.cool wrote:
oli_lar wrote:Ubuntu Linux on this Dual Core,
What d'ya think of Ubuntu? Personally I don't like it as a Linux distro - normally I use Gentoo Liniux.
Its the first I've tried - I've only just started using Linux. Theres nothing to compare it to then really, but I'm glad it supports USB during installation. It was pretty annoying trying to find one that did, as my new PC doesn't have any PS/2 ports on it.
That said I really didn't like the default brown background....

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:17 pm

oli_lar wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
What d'ya think of Ubuntu? Personally I don't like it as a Linux distro - normally I use Gentoo Liniux.
Its the first I've tried - I've only just started using Linux. Theres nothing to compare it to then really, but I'm glad it supports USB during installation. It was pretty annoying trying to find one that did, as my new PC doesn't have any PS/2 ports on it.
That said I really didn't like the default brown background....
Ubuntu's default colour scheme is just Image

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:04 pm

I've used several Linux distros over the years and settled for Ubuntu in recent times (Ubuntu of the laptop and Kubuntu on the desktop, to be precise, though both are Ubuntu with different default desktops, that's all). The reason? Good software selection available, decent hardware compatibility and by far the best software installation system of the ones I've tried (including Mandrake/Mandriva, SUSE, Fedora and Gentoo). It's just a happy medium.

I have WinXP on my second desktop, but aside from games and website testing under IE I rarely use it.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:14 pm

I've said it before (elsewhere) but I'll say it again (here), I demand a recount on the basis OS/2 Warp is omitted!
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:12 pm

Windows XP Media Edition on my desktop

Windows XP SP2 on my Laptop with Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista UIltimate running in VMWare.

pipoldchap

Post by pipoldchap » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:17 am

Xp on the main PC and win

3.11/DOS on my ragin' pentium 60. It's like watching old people make sweet love... slow and ugly.
I WISH I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner...

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:19 am

RocketRanger wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
So "as a Linux distro" what's wrong with it?

..As a desktop operating system I think its about as polished as I have (personally) seen Linux get. You can almost let your Gran use it.
It's basically Linux for the XP user (if that makes sense) - it lacks manual control over some of it's more advanced features and takes the Microsoft/Windows attitude of "I know best & therefore I'll pick the default option and assume you will only ever use it like that" - this is no way to design an Operating System - especially a Linux/Unix based Operating System!!!

However ..... as far as a "user friendly" and "rather stable" Operating System - Ubuntu is superb - I've never managed to make it screw up in the way I can get Windows XP to screw just by looking at it.

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:06 am

woody.cool wrote:
RocketRanger wrote:
woody.cool wrote: What d'ya think of Ubuntu? Personally I don't like it as a Linux distro - normally I use Gentoo Liniux.
So "as a Linux distro" what's wrong with it?

..As a desktop operating system I think its about as polished as I have (personally) seen Linux get. You can almost let your Gran use it.
It's basically Linux for the XP user (if that makes sense) - it lacks manual control over some of it's more advanced features and takes the Microsoft/Windows attitude of "I know best & therefore I'll pick the default option and assume you will only ever use it like that" - this is no way to design an Operating System - especially a Linux/Unix based Operating System!!!

However ..... as far as a "user friendly" and "rather stable" Operating System - Ubuntu is superb - I've never managed to make it screw up in the way I can get Windows XP to screw just by looking at it.
You're comparing it with XP's inherent coherency as a user interface. Do you really think Windows is so terrible in that aspect? Ubuntu is trying to be a Linux distro that is as easy to pick up (by new users) as Windows, yet be as stable and configurable as Linux under the hood. I think thats exactly what Linux needs to be if it is to be a serious contender on the desktop.

I don't agree with you on the 'advanced features' aspect. It is still Debian underneath, and everything can be configured by a technically savvy user.

I actually quite like Ubuntu brown - it matched my sofa.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:32 am

RocketRanger wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
RocketRanger wrote: So "as a Linux distro" what's wrong with it?

You're comparing it with XP's inherent coherency as a user interface. Do you really think Windows is so terrible in that aspect? Ubuntu is trying to be a Linux distro that is as easy to pick up (by new users) as Windows, yet be as stable and configurable as Linux under the hood. I think thats exactly what Linux needs to be if it is to be a serious contender on the desktop.

I don't agree with you on the 'advanced features' aspect. It is still Debian underneath, and everything can be configured by a technically savvy user.

I actually quite like Ubuntu brown - it matched my sofa.
Maybe my comparison wasn't a good one - but I prefer Gentoo or even Fedora over Ubuntu

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:30 am

woody.cool wrote: Maybe my comparison wasn't a good one - but I prefer Gentoo or even Fedora over Ubuntu
...but what about the games man?