The most er... indirectly characteristic character line-ups.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sureshot

The most er... indirectly characteristic character line-ups.

Post by Sureshot » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:44 am

Following on from the Road Rash thread, I'm back playing some of them again for umpteenth time, and one thing that always felt enhanced the atmosphere and enjoyment of these games were the characters that they introduced. Although these characters by no means took starring roles as such, somehow their relative anonymity meant you could formulate your own personalities and rivalries with each one, without being hand-guided through the kind of character that they should be (apart from maybe the odd picture or quote).

Which games did you feel allowed some really open-ended personality building? Here are some of my choices:

Road Rash series: As mentioned, I always enjoyed being able to use my imagination to create profiles of the riders I was battling against.

'Scab Boy' for instance, was always the lowest of the low - the guy you felt comfortable about pummeling and you'd never get any comeback as he was rarely anywhere out of range of last place.

Then there's Ikira - the nunchukau guy. Always floating around the middle of the pack like a lone ninja, and owning probably the best weapon in the game, he always did demand a bit of respect. That doesn't mean you weren't going to make it your goal to half-inch his tool, though.

The final notable mention here goes to Lucky Luc. What a bastard.

You've just clambered your way up towards third on your ageing ratbike after a hard fought journey and at around the middle to front of the pack, Luc's there. If there was ever a BMW driver equivalent of a biker, he would be it - constantly cutting you up, lobbing stuff out onto the road, and unable to use the brake pedal. Probably my fiercest rival in the series.

The rest of the Road Rash casts can be found on http://www.welcometotherash.com/ (although it's a little incomplete)

REVS: Geoff Crammond's superb Grand Prix simulator, that took more than a little mastering to be able to enjoy fully. Nevertheless, at least you had a cool cast of characters to accompany you as you spun off into the chain-link fence for the umpteenth time. Most of these names were racing related, and some merely bad puns.

My most well-rememberered was Johnny Turbo, who was almost always in first place when a race ended. This guy was the cream of the racing crop and could probably have given Senna and Mansell a run for money in their days... if only he wasn't a computer game character.

Gloria Slap took me a little while to work out (hey, I was about 7 at the time!), but heck, she made for a good excuse to whack my brother one when the name came up.

Dan Dipstick. *snigger*

Sid Spoiler - Despite the obvious car-part reference, I always used to apply the other meaning of the word to his personality, so he became the guy that was trying to ruin stuff in a race; a D1ck Dastardly if you will. As it turns out, this was probably not far off the mark, as he was always somewhere towards the back.

Percy Veer - I always thought this guy might look like Murray Walker for some reason. Don't ask me why.

More of the revs characters can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REVS_(computer_game).

ISS 64: This used to be my favourite football game of all-time, but it's not aged entirely well, particularly with the advent of the all-conquering Pro Evo series. And, in the days when Konami had no license for player names in the game, it introduced its own charming roster of characters instead.

For Brazil you had the likes of Allejo who was a 30-goal a season type and Pardilla who could curl in goals from the corner flag. The Dutch had the attack-minded Koppers, and the Germans had Wagner between the sticks - cue numerous cries of 'YOU WAGNER!' whenever he was near the ball.

Despite being an N64 game, the players were still relatively faceless for the time, so making up your own personalities for your squad was a refreshing change from having licensed, real-life players that everybody knew about anyway. It also made for some great grudge-matches when you were playing against your mates.
Last edited by Sureshot on Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Celebaglar

Re: The most er... characteristic character line-ups.

Post by Celebaglar » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:55 am

Sureshot wrote:REVS: Jeff Crammond's superb Grand Prix simulator, that took more than a little mastering to be able to enjoy fully. Nevertheless, at least you had a cool cast of characters to accompany you as you spun off into the chain-link fence for the umpteenth time. Most of these names were racing related, and some merely bad puns.

My most well-rememberered was Johnny Turbo, who was almost always in first place when a race ended. This guy was the cream of the racing crop and could probably have given Senna and Mansell a run for money in their days... if only he wasn't a computer game character.

Gloria Slap took me a little while to work out (hey, I was about 7 at the time!), but heck, she made for a good excuse to whack my brother one when the name came up.

Dan Dipstick. *snigger*

Sid Spoiler - Despite the obvious car-part reference, I always used to apply the other meaning of the word to his personality, so he became the guy that was trying to ruin stuff in a race; a D1ck Dastardly if you will. As it turns out, this was probably not far off the mark, as he was always somewhere towards the back.

Percy Veer - I always thought this guy might look like Murray Walker for some reason. Don't ask me why.

More of the revs characters can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REVS_(computer_game).
Ah, memories. Brings a tear to the eye. :D

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:05 am

Frank Bruno's Boxing for the Speccy had a good line-up of opponents , each with their own individual entertaining moves.I think however they originated from the arcade machine Punch Out

For sets of characters , though , you would struggle to beat the trio of Bernard , Hoagie and Laverne who you control in Day Of The Tentacle
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:00 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Frank Bruno's Boxing for the Speccy had a good line-up of opponents , each with their own individual entertaining moves.I think however they originated from the arcade machine Punch Out

For sets of characters , though , you would struggle to beat the trio of Bernard , Hoagie and Laverne who you control in Day Of The Tentacle
I remember Frank Bruno's Boxing - I had that game for C16 - what a good game!!!