Retro consoles on a 4ktv

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

shiffy

Re: Retro consoles on a 4ktv

Post by shiffy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:40 pm

As Analogue's FPGA based Super NT and Mega SG have been mentioned I thought I'd throw in another FPGA system that is starting to gain a bit of traction. It's fully open source & does rely on "the community", which is quite small at the moment. Unlike Analogue's systems it doesn't use real carts. But it supports many consoles, as well as FPGA creations of various computers and even arcade machines. In the four months that I have owned the machine I have seen it progress in leaps and bounds.

This project was born out of the Mist system (FPGA based Amiga) and is called the "MiSTer Project". There are now quite a few videos on Youtube demonstrating this system. It's certainly worth looking into.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Edit: I should have mentioned that this sytem can be the best of both worlds in that the main board of the MiSTer (DE10-Nano) outputs by HDMI, but by adding the community designed I/O board you can output an analogue signal to a crt and/or VGA monitor. You can even output both digital & analogue at the same time.

David

Post by David » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:22 pm

Finally got round to sorting out all my emulators etc on the laptop and picked up a wee arcade Stick for £22 off amazing (madcatz alpha something or other )

Connected laptop to TV with hdmi cable - bingo! Except everything was seriously stuttery and choppy

Figured out that I had to change the laptop display resolution to match the TV and everything runs flawlessly.

Delighted with it

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:40 pm

Incidentally there is an article in this months Retro Gamer mag!

A couple of worthwhile suggestions there - although none of the wortwhile ones seem particularly cheap, and once you've added to the price of the Megadrive then you're getting towards the Analogue machine territory..

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:18 am

Yeah, they're really not cheap at all. The OSSC we photographed is my one, and it cost me a lot of money - but since I live in a small flat and don't have room to keep a CRT in there, it makes more sense than buying dedicated systems/cables (and I certainly don't want to chuck all my old hardware).

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:49 pm

It's definitely a consideration! I had thought of getting a CRT, but ideally you need a spare cupboard or something to wheel it into, and then you look up the description of a big-screen Sony Triniton on eBay: A very reasonable £25, but the description reads: "Bring a van and two strong men"!

shiffy

Post by shiffy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Further to my earlier post about the MiSTer Project, there's been a decent article about it published on Racketboy a few days ago that I think sums up everything quite well .... worth a read I think! It's a decent alternative to the Analogue systems and the Rapsberry Pi.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/mister-f ... eservation

bartread

Post by bartread » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:44 am

If you use component cables, assuming the TV has the connection, it'll probably be the best option. I run PS2, Xbox OG, PSP, and Wii into a 60inch LED TV through component cables and they all look good. I also have a component switcher so I can support multiple sources without having to swap cables (these are pretty inexpensive). There's not much to be gained by going for an HDMI conversion for any of these: the only strong argument for doing this is if your TV doesn't offer component input.

If you have to resort to composite it's probably not going to look amazing, although I have been pleasantly surprised running an Amiga A1200 into a 50inch plasma: it's pretty sharp and noise free. OTOH I have a cheap knock-off NES-alike that I bought because I couldn't get hold of a real classic mini, which uses composite: overall the unit and controllers are decent, and there's a great selection of games that run really well, but the picture quality is a bit meh: feels perhaps slightly washed out.

SHORT VERSION: component cables are the way to go for pre-HDMI consoles, if you have that option. They generally result in a very sharp image with good colour balance, saturation, no weird fuzzing or other artefacts, etc.

PRO TIP: make sure you switch your TV into game mode to minimise latency by turning off "enhancements" like frame interpolation, and double-check to make sure all visual "enhancements" are disabled. I keep quoting "enhancements" because, in my experience, tricks such as motion interpolation tend to lead to a worse viewing experience under all circumstances, and particularly with films, which can end up looking quite unnatural (see https://whatis.techtarget.com/definitio ... erpolation for more information).