Minor or lesser known Arcade Coin-Ops you really liked

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

8TrackMind

Re: Minor or lesser known Arcade Coin-Ops you really liked

Post by 8TrackMind » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:09 pm

For some reason I've always been a huge fan of Warp Warp by Rock-Ola. Not only because it was a video game put out by a company mostly (if not only) known for making such a throwback technology as jukeboxes and record turntables (they licensed this game from Namco), but it was also a very creative game with two different screens, had a kind of whimsical flair to it with little creatures that seemed to be sticking their tongues out, and was a game I could actually do fairly well with on one quarter.

--
8TrackMind
End Boss at The Dot Eaters: Video Game History 101
Website | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:45 pm

arcadez wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:52 pm
B. Rap. Boys

The follow up to DJ Boy which i suppose could be considered obscure also, nice wee beat em up with a really good hip hop soundtrack.

Heavy Unit

Similar to R-type with gameplay to match a true hidden gem.

Cannon Dancer / Osman

Created by a few of the same team that worked on Capcom's Strider some consider this to be the best sequel
Good choices I only learnt about Cannon Dancer B Rap Boys a few years back. Yesterday I was watching Awesome games done quick and they where playing a Sega arcade platform game I’d never heard of .
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Mat Mania and Alien Sector are two of the perhaps more obscure titles that spring to mind!
Press Play On Tape

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:48 pm

Bongo by Jetsoft.

It doesn’t play great and it looks worse but I always enjoyed it.

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:55 am

Currently loving Super Burger Time on the Switch. Great update of the original.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:31 am
buddy1983 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:33 am
I dont really have a massive fondness for the arcades, its weird i'm of the right age (35) to remember them and to have visited arcades but for whatever reason didn't as a kid and dont remember any of my friends doing so either. I know our local swimming pool had a few of the common 90s arcades like Turtles, street fighter etc but I dont know of any dedicated arcades near where I lived as a kid.
I'd suggest you're a bit on the young side. At 48, I was in my teens in the 80s so was old enough and had a part time job while at school during the latter half, so had time and disposable income to throw at arcades of a weekend. By the 90s, the gap between arcade and home hardware was lessening, and the arrival of Playstation in the mid 90s really killed off any need to go there.

I'll go with Space Duel. It isn't necessarily lesser known, but it does seem to be mentioned much less than it deserves. As a colour vector game it looks great, but the Thrusty mechanics with linked ships messing with the physics and more variety in enemies than Asteroids really makes it something else. So glad we had this one locally, but in general we had a great arcade back then.

One I never came across in the arcades but played in the league was Funky Jet. Great game, quite odd, but a whole lot of fun to play. Definitely one of my most memorable MAME finds.

Yes, 51 here, and I'm thinking the age to have been really into the arcades during the golden era would have been at least 45 to late 40s. Later than that they had lost their spark as home systems kicked in to compete.
So even now despite MAME etc it's still fun for us old farts to find a retro arcade and have a go, and you find kindred spirits of a similar age usually happy to have a friendly two player and chat about the old classics!

Lesser known coin ops? Most of my favourites are also very well known. Occasionally on MAME I will have a go at a couple of older games Targ and Bio attack. Targ especially- very old, very basic but tough and addictive :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:07 pm

Would Bosconian be classed as a lesser known coin op? Even though it was on an early Namco Museum? Used to love that game.