Minor or lesser known Arcade Coin-Ops you really liked

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

demon

Minor or lesser known Arcade Coin-Ops you really liked

Post by demon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:26 am

Do you have some favourite old arcade coin-ops that aren't widely known or at least don't get usually mentioned?

Personally I really like the following little-known games:

Guzzler
Joyful Ride
Empire City: 1931
Halley Comet '87

I'd also toss in Burnin' Rubber and Psychic 5 but perhaps those are more commonly known? :)

buddy1983

Re: Minor or lesser known Arcade Coin-Ops you really liked

Post by buddy1983 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:33 am

I dont really have a massive fondness for the arcades, its weird i'm of the right age (35) to remember them and to have visited arcades but for whatever reason didn't as a kid and dont remember any of my friends doing so either. I know our local swimming pool had a few of the common 90s arcades like Turtles, street fighter etc but I dont know of any dedicated arcades near where I lived as a kid.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:47 pm

demon wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:26 am
Do you have some favourite old arcade coin-ops that aren't widely known or at least don't get usually mentioned?

Guzzler
Joyful Ride
Halley Comet '87

I'd also toss in Burnin' Rubber and Psychic 5 but perhaps those are more commonly known? :)
Crikey they are lesser known !
I was going to say Karnov but that's quite common by comparison
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:31 pm

buddy1983 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:33 am
I dont really have a massive fondness for the arcades, its weird i'm of the right age (35) to remember them and to have visited arcades but for whatever reason didn't as a kid and dont remember any of my friends doing so either. I know our local swimming pool had a few of the common 90s arcades like Turtles, street fighter etc but I dont know of any dedicated arcades near where I lived as a kid.
I'd suggest you're a bit on the young side. At 48, I was in my teens in the 80s so was old enough and had a part time job while at school during the latter half, so had time and disposable income to throw at arcades of a weekend. By the 90s, the gap between arcade and home hardware was lessening, and the arrival of Playstation in the mid 90s really killed off any need to go there.

I'll go with Space Duel. It isn't necessarily lesser known, but it does seem to be mentioned much less than it deserves. As a colour vector game it looks great, but the Thrusty mechanics with linked ships messing with the physics and more variety in enemies than Asteroids really makes it something else. So glad we had this one locally, but in general we had a great arcade back then.

One I never came across in the arcades but played in the league was Funky Jet. Great game, quite odd, but a whole lot of fun to play. Definitely one of my most memorable MAME finds.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:00 pm

demon wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:26 am

Guzzler
Joyful Ride
Halley Comet '87

Empire City is a really good one, I like that a lot.

Five of mine would be:

Satan's Hollow
Mr. TNT
Tunnel Runner
Stocker
Snake Pit

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Ah that would make sense :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:42 pm

Great thread Going to check these out when I’m back

My game is Penguin Kun Wars. A bit like table tennis. Cute graphics and very addictive

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:19 pm

Being a massive Arcadian myself, Empire City: 31 was indeed a great little game later to appear under a very close conversion under a different name for the Atari ST called "Prohibition" was more or less this game. For me and newly discovered a few years back was
Night Slasher
Air Rescue
Biomechanical
Black Panther
Bonze Adventure

These are some nice games to have a go. So many undiscovered gems out there.
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:29 pm

Greyfox wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:19 pm
Being a massive Arcadian myself, Empire City: 31 was indeed a great little game later to appear under a very close conversion under a different name for the Atari ST called "Prohibition" was more or less this game. For me and newly discovered a few years back was
Night Slasher
Air Rescue
Biomechanical
Black Panther
Bonze Adventure

These are some nice games to have a go. So many undiscovered gems out there.
This^^^^ You listed two of my favourite games in Night Slashers and Bronze Adventure
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:44 pm

Imagepsycho nissan oscar Data East , Manfred Trentz said he based Turrican on this game

Violent Storm Konami
Ninja Baseball Bat man
Fancy World
AD Cop
Bomb Kick
And a game that the authors name made me remember
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:57 pm

I was never any good at it but I'd always pop a few 10ps in a Knuckle Joe machine if I saw one.
Splink!

BellyFullOfHell

Post by BellyFullOfHell » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm definitely going to have to try out that Turrican looking game.

Some of mine:

Saboten Bombers: absolutely frantic single-screen platformer that offers a different spin on the Bubble Bobble formula.
AB Cop: already mentioned, al little-known Sega 2D racer/shooter, fast, flashy and fun as hell
Vendetta: one of Konami's lesser-known brawlers, a real mystery as it's one of the very few that can actually match Capcom's best
Omega Fighter: should be a little better known thanks to the Switch re-release. Fun, uncomplicated vertical shooter
Do Run! Run!: the original gets all the plaudits, but for me this slightly edges it. Great score attack game

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:27 pm

x-multiply - if i was fed up of r-type ..... yeah right ..... i'd hope on this beauty
tsurugi - found this on my holidays and loved it, also a very effective weight taker-offer as it left me sweating like a sodding pig!
cart fury - another find on holiday and it was flipping AWESOME, so much so i bought the megadrive port

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:59 am

I'm a fan of Chelnov - Atomic Runner.
Weird little game.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:04 pm

buddy1983 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:33 am
maybe a little bit young, but being in Hampshire surely you saw them when went to the coast?
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee