Announcing 8bit-Unity: Cross-platform SDK for 8bit games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

8bit-Dude

Announcing 8bit-Unity: Cross-platform SDK for 8bit games

Post by 8bit-Dude » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:11 am

Hey guyz,

Last month I released 8bit-Slicks for the C64, Atari XL and Apple//e. It is the first cross-platform online game for 8bit era computers.

While developping the game, I organized my project into a "game" part, and a "SDK" part, for future re-use. It then occured to me that other people would benefit from this base for development of cross-platform 8bit games.

So I am announcing the planned release of 8bit-Unity in the second quarter of 2019. The SDK will contain everything to let you create simple online 8bit games in C code once, and deploy on all supported platforms easily (C64, Atari XL, Apple//e, and more in future!).

So they tuned!!!

Antiriad2097

Re: Announcing 8bit-Unity: Cross-platform SDK for 8bit games

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:04 am

This is great news, I look forward to seeing the final product should it reach fruition.

May I suggest the Oric 1/Atmos as future platforms, as both also use a 6502 CPU? (they're near identical systems, only the ROM chip varies a bit to fix some issues and break some more). The Oric scene has a small but dedicated fanbase that has turned out some stunning games over the years that are far beyond the expected capabilities during its lifetime. Something like this would be more than welcome to extend that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

8bit-Dude

Post by 8bit-Dude » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:24 am

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am

That's great to see, your work is looking good so far. I must confess I've been rather lax myself in visiting the Defence Force forums over the last couple of years, but I'll forever have a soft spot for the system as my first computer.

Note to self: Visit Defence Force and get up to date with all the latest scene news!
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.