2018 Game Of The Year

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

pratty

2018 Game Of The Year

Post by pratty » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:13 pm

Let's try this to get some discussion going. What were you favoutite games this past year?

Overall Game of The Year - The game you personally enjoyed the most that you played in 2018, regardless of when it was released.

2018 Game of The Year - The best modern game you played that was released in 2018.

Retro Game Of The Year - The best retro game you played in 2018.

Feel free to create your own categories aswell (e.g. best game in a specific genre, best system, best handheld/mobile game etc), and feel free to list your top 10/5/3, honorable mentions or just your favourite.

Also how about your gaming resolutions for 2019?

Mine:

Game Of the Year: Xenoblade Chronicles 2. This was the game I just kept coming back to the most. An essential RPG for Switch owners.

2018 Game of The Year: Dead Cells. I've only just started it but I really like it. Though to be honest I have a lot of other 2018 releases unlayed on my pile o' shame so it is more of a reflection of my personal gaming.

Retro Game Of The Year: Animal Crossing (GC). Not the oldest 'retro' game, but I really haven't played much earlier than the Gamecube this year.

New Year's Gaming Resolution: Finish more games than I buy. :lol:
Last edited by pratty on Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Shinobi

Re: 2018 Game Of The Year

Post by Shinobi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Big Fight in the Atlantic Ocean Arcade scrolling fighter I keep returning to this.

2018 Game of The Year either Assassins Creed Oddessey PS4

Retro Game Of The Year Jeanne D’arc
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:57 am

Not sure what categories I'd shoehorn them all into, but I'll go for:

Dead Cells (PC) - Comparisons with Hollow Knight are obvious due to the superficial similarities, but it's a very different game to play showing that there's plenty of life left in the old roguelike genre.
Into The Breach (PC) - XCOM meets FTL in the indie strategy game of the year. It's a bit short and repetitive, but there's still much fun to have.
Xenoblade 2 Torna (Switch) - Nintendo cleverly disguised their best game of the year as DLC, but it's really a full length prequel that's arguably better than the original game.
Civilization 6 (Switch) - Superb port of the AAA PC strategy game that's fully at home in handheld mode.
Gris (PC) - An Indie art-game that's also a solid 2D platformer.
Old Tower (Spectrum) - If this had been released in the 80s, heads would have melted at the mere sight of the use of scrolling and multicolour. The gameplay is pretty good too, even if there are a few frustrating dead-ends.
Bandersnatch (Netflix) - A suitably mind-bending choose-your-own-video-adventure. If Dragon's Lair is a game, this is too.

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:02 am

here's mine.

Overall Game of The Year - Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Didnt think I would enjoy this as much as I did. Usually hate the Rabbids
2018 Game of The Year - FarCry 5 - Havent played many games released this year, I tend to wait a while until games have dropped in price and then pick them up.
Retro Game Of The Year - Banjo Kazooie, completed it again in 2018 and its still one of my favourite games ever.
Best Handheld game - Metroid: Samus Returns 3DS - This was such a great game and enjoyed every minute of it. Never played the original so it was all new to me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Probably done less gaming than ever in 2018 and I REALLY can't remember everything that I've played but one new release that I have been enjoying immensely is the Spyro Reignited Trilogy. Surpassed all of my expectations for a remake and - a few almost insignificant niggles aside - it has done nothing to offend my fond memories of the PS1 games which I have been playing through most years since their original release. 100% the best modern remake I have ever played.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:22 am

Still holding out hope that Spyro will get released on the switch as some point, if not then I'll get it on PS4.

I never played it much when it first came out as I was too cool to play that sort of game back then :roll:

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:15 pm

Game of the Year: Xenoblade Chronicles 2- Not only my game of the year, my new all time fav game. I look forward to the Torna DLC, picking up the Limited Edition Pro Controller, 100%-ing the main game and DLC, and whatever other merch I can think of. :lol: How about Rex and Pyra for Smash Nintendo? :roll:

Best 2018 Game: Smash Bros Ultimate- This was tricky since despite buying an XBone X and having a Switch, most of my gaming has been catch up and not really a lot of newer releases, also down to not many funds last year, which is looking to change this year, and Switch's somewhat quiet 2nd year. But yeah, I reckon this already could be the best Smash. Tons to do in Single Player with enough challenge to feel frustrating at times but you always try and try again to beat a challenge and feel god like. :lol: While I do miss the Trophy collecting and several other features (Home Run Contest, etc.), I can understand why they were left out and hey, given how much of a madman Sakurai is, maybe they'll return as free DLC?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 pm

ALK wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:15 pm
Game of the Year: Xenoblade Chronicles 2- Not only my game of the year, my new all time fav game. I look forward to the Torna DLC, picking up the Limited Edition Pro Controller, 100%-ing the main game and DLC, and whatever other merch I can think of. :lol: How about Rex and Pyra for Smash Nintendo? :roll:
I think Rex and maybe others are represented as Spirits, but Rex/Prya would be a great addition as a playable character. Though with so many interesting drivers and blades they could make a whole Xenoblade 2 spin off fighting game unto itself, or more likely, and I'm officially calling this now, Xenoblade Warriors.

I think the Xenoblade controller is quite pricy to pick up now, like £100+. Importing from Japan might be your best bet for a new one.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:31 pm

Overall Game of The Year - The game you personally enjoyed the most that you played in 2018, regardless of when it was released.
For me this is the Mass Effect series. I played them one after the other

2018 Game of The Year - The best modern game you played that was released in 2018.
I played very few new games this year, what I bought or were given were mainly compilations, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary, Namco Museum Arcade Pac, Mega Drive collection etc. Even Wario Ware Gold is somewhat a compilation. Ha, I realised Horizon Chase Turbo came out on Switch in 2018, so that is my GOTY.

Retro Game Of The Year - The best retro game you played in 2018.
The SEGA Mega Drive Classics collection is tremendous.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:50 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:20 pm
ALK wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:15 pm
I think Rex and maybe others are represented as Spirits, but Rex/Prya would be a great addition as a playable character. Though with so many interesting drivers and blades they could make a whole Xenoblade 2 spin off fighting game unto itself, or more likely, and I'm officially calling this now, Xenoblade Warriors.

I think the Xenoblade controller is quite pricy to pick up now, like £100+. Importing from Japan might be your best bet for a new one.
They are, I actually unlocked Pyra today. Funny enough, I think the director behind Hyrule and Fire Emblem Warriors said in an interview he'd love to do a Xenoblade Warriors. Not a fighting game, but I'll take more XC2 content with interactions with XC 1, XCX, and maybe even characters from Gears and Saga. :) The blades alone will fill enough slots. :lol:

I noticed but its not too far up from where it started at. Its worth it for my new fav game and perfect for going through Torna and 100%ing the main game once I've done enough on Smash and Lets Go.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.