Anno 1602 giveaway

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Matt_B

Anno 1602 giveaway

Post by Matt_B » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:59 pm

On its 20th anniversary, Ubisoft are offering this classic strategy game - the first in the long running series - as a free download.

The downside is that you'll need Uplay. If you've already got it, there's a link on the top menu so just click that and you're done.

If you've not got Uplay, first think long and hard about whether you want to download and install another online storefront for the sake of one free game.

On the other hand, if you're still reading, the link is here:

https://uplay.ubisoft.com

outdated_gamer

Re: Anno 1602 giveaway

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:20 am

So many launchers!

As a PC gamer, I'm not impressed by the online distribution store fragmentation that is going on.

Yeah, a free game is a free game, but when will this nonsense end?

Although I have U-play installed, I barely use it and mostly stick just to GOG and Steam.

Now the news that Rage 2 will be only for Bethesda's own launcher, as if every company needs it's own launcher.

I already deleted Epic's launcher because I don't really care for Fortnite and it's not like they care about completing the new UT.

jpishgar

Post by jpishgar » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:44 am

I have to say, I've thoroughly enjoyed all the games in the Anno series.
Except Anno Online. And the most recent debacle, Anno 2205.

But truly, Anno 1701 and 1404 was a masterpiece of a game, and Anno 2070 was perfect. There's elements to them that hearken back to the islands fights of Warcraft 2, and all the resource management intensity of MULE. Plus, visual and auditory feasts. Never did do 1602 - how does it compare with the later in the series?

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:54 am

It's pretty good, and you'll find much that's familiar, just with old-school graphics. Rather like Civilization, it's one of those series where the first game pretty much got it right, and the later ones have mostly just expanded on the concept.

It's not at all like 2205. That was just a misguided attempt to streamline it into a more accessible format.