Phantasy Star (SEGA AGES - Switch)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RetroBob

Phantasy Star (SEGA AGES - Switch)

Post by RetroBob » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:39 pm

This has just come out - check out this video, I love what they have done with the map and stats to the side of the gameplay.

https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/ ... 9575889921

I tried to play this on my Master System a few years back and made my own maps but it was a bit of a struggle. I've just downloaded this and had a quick go, the pause menu also has tables for item guide, magic etc - really helpful!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

psj3809

Re: Phantasy Star (SEGA AGES - Switch)

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Yeah came out on iOS a while back and the sequel i think. Think its one of those games where i really needed to have played it back in the day, wasnt keen on it but heard good things i must admit

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:37 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:39 pm
Yeah came out on iOS a while back and the sequel i think. Think its one of those games where i really needed to have played it back in the day, wasnt keen on it but heard good things i must admit
The SEGA Forever release right?

From what I understand, the Switch version has some extras and quality of life things like a on-screen map. M2 are known for going above and beyond for just another SEGA port.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:43 pm

Yeah this is a SEGA AGES job by M2, not a port of the mobile version. As you say, they go above and beyond... the 3DS Classics are their handywork too.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:41 am

A map is a BIG help with the maze bits

I wonder if they made it so that the game dont more or less destroy you the first time you try to get anywhere?
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

icemann

Post by icemann » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:54 am

They did.

deKay

Post by deKay » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:21 am

Just been searching the forum for Phantasy Star*, and found this thread.

Thought I'd chime in with what a fantastic port this was. Adding the onscreen map and the list of items and what they do massively improve an already excellent game. The "walk faster" option makes you wonder why you walked so slow in the first place, and "AGES mode" with its less frequent but more rewarding random battles is a big improvement too. It doesn't exactly make the game much easier, but does reduce the amount of grinding necessary.

But mainly what I love is the big, bright, chunky MS graphics. The later games lose something, somehow, by not having this.

* I've been playing through the series, this version back in Dec, then PSII in January, PSIII in February and currently PSIV. It's been amazing.