PlayStation 3 - Retro or not?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

rocky1980

Re: PlayStation 3 - Retro or not?

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Remember that all PS3's play PS1 games also :)
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:48 pm

From my point of view it is down to the technology behind the machine rather than how old it is. Over the years there have be some major changes in how a machine runs. Before the 8bit era things were generally very crude with no more than simple square blobs floating around and a 4 bit processor hence only being able to score to 15. Then we got the 8 bit with proper graphical displays along with colour and better sound rather than blips, 3D was software only and very crude and slow. The 16bit saw even greater graphical power in higher resolutions and more colour with 3D still mostly software but with basic hardware assistance, plus digital sound become more the norm. The 32bit era introduced us to full hardware 3D polygons as the norm which is the tech we are still using today, plus sound moves away from being produced by the machine to just prerecorded playback. Yes many machines from the 32bit era that can be considered retro as many still struggled with the 3D but after the first playstation and N64 broke the mould along with the ever advancing PC, things haven't really changed that much, advanced yes but not changed.
This is a very simplistic over view and I know there is much I have omitted but to me until something else comes along to stamp out the 3D polygon era no machine in it can be retro. Classic would be a more fitting word.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:29 pm

It might as well be.

My feelings on these questions is that we as retro gamers set ourselves apart from most other gamers by seeing the value in playing old (i.e. not surrent) hardware and software, it's not so much about arbitrary cut off points.

Tell most gamers today that you're actively playing a PS3 for your main gaming fix and they'll look at you funny, as in "why aren't you playing a PS4?" The same reaction you 'd probably get if you said a PS1. It's essentially the same mindset; a good game is a good game however old it is.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:03 pm

demon wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 am
Oh and by the way, feel free to suggest PS3 games here if you want, especially if they are suitable for pre-teen kids.
3D Dot Heroes
De Blob 2
Prince Of Persia Trilogy HD collection (Sands Of Time should be suitable for the kids)
Sonic Generations
Sonic And Sega All Stars Racing
Sonic And All Stars Racing Transformed (the better of the two)
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:00 pm

No.

Dates and timelines for what is/isn't retro doesn't even factor into it. The games are basically the exact same as the current generation, just not as pretty. There's nothing different to look back on. Lots of games even exist on both PS3 and PS4 in up/downgraded form(s).

You could level the same at the PS1 but at least that was an era of change with the emergence of mainstream 3D graphics for the masses and new experiments in gaming. Barely anything has changed between PS3 > PS4 in terms of technology, genres or styles of gaming.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:53 pm

Yeah, when the 16 bit consoles turned up they immediately made the 8 bit ones look old. The same happened with the first couple of generations of the Playstation, from crude clunky polygons to neatly shaded ones. Since then though, it's mostly a case of the same but prettier and how well a game looks ia more of a function of the budget thrown at it than the underlying hardware.

I think we should just accept that the pace of change has slowed and that while there were radical changes to gaming hardware in previous decades that opened up new possibilities, there has been comparatively little that's happened in this one. The hardware might be orders of magnitude more powerful but there is less to show for that.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 am

imo, retro should be defined by graphics rather than age.

You have the distinctive "Atari VCS/2600 look", "Game & Watch look", "Vectrex look", "Commodore 64 look", "ZX Spectrum look", "NES look", "PC CGA/EGA/VGA look", "Amiga OCS/ECS/AGA look", "Sega SuperScaler look", "Game Boy/GBC/GBA look", "Mega Drive look", "SNES look", "Sega Model 1 look", "PlayStation look", "N64 look", "PC 3dfx look" and here's already a sort of a cut-off point in my opinion.

Dreamcast, PS2, NGC and Xbox games still look pretty modern if you bump up the resolution in emulators and even more so if you use some "HD retexture" mods and shaders, so that's hardly "retro" in my eyes.

And indeed, if we look at so-called "retro games" nowadays, they're usually described as such because of their distinctive "8-bit/16-bit/early polygon 3D" look rather than the system they're running on or date of release.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Retro? I use it to watch my Blu-Rays - you do the math.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:33 pm

i wouldnt say its retro just yet but its a great time to collect for it can get bundles etc quite cheap

demon

Post by demon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:51 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:04 pm
Retro? I use it to watch my Blu-Rays - you do the math.
Ah but BluRays are so yesterday :D

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:22 pm

Yeah, if it won't do 4K Netflix its retro. :D

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:43 pm

If their no longer releasing new games for it then it’s Retro
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:53 am

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:43 pm
If their no longer releasing new games for it then it’s Retro
So the Spectrum and C64 aren't retro?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

demon

Post by demon » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:14 pm

pratty wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:29 pm
a good game is a good game however old it is.
Amen! Said by someone who still plays Atari 2600 :D And if the same can be said about books, music and movies, why not games?

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Not yet.

I tend to go with a "2 generations ago" marker for a system being retro or not. The PS3 is only 1 gen old, and had titles released as recently as September (FIFA 19).
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb