PlayStation 3 - Retro or not?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

demon

PlayStation 3 - Retro or not?

Post by demon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:47 am

We recently acquired an old PlayStation 3 from friends who had apparently stopped playing with it years ago. IIRC the PS3 has been around for more than a decade now, but would you consider it "retro" already, or is it still too recent?

This is obviously a question just for fun :wink: but it came to my mind because I came back to retrogamer.net looking for games suggestions and I did not find any links to PS3 games in the sticky "best games for X" thread.

(some irrelevant background story follows...)

Incidentally, this is also my first console ever, since I've always been a fan of computers rather than consoles (not counting handhelds which I consider their own category). We don't even have a TV at home, so we play the PS3 exclusively on a projector. We thought for a while about buying a PS4 for our kids, but went for the much cheaper second-hand PS3 option mainly because our friends wanted to get rid of it. Of course my kids now get the bad remarks at school "but the PS3 is older than you..." Nevertheless it is still a HUGE step forward in terms of gaming experience compared to our typical 80s-90s retrogaming habits :lol: particularly because of the few additional controllers we got with it i.e. the Rock Band fake instruments and the driving wheel/pedals. I will never stop gaming with the C=64 or the ZX Spectrum or the Amiga500, but I think these new options complement our gaming habits nicely 8)

psj3809

Re: PlayStation 3 - Retro or not?

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:51 am

To me its not retro but technically it nearly is. I think the cut off point for RG is 15 years isnt it ? When the mag first came out in the early 2000's it would have been weird for me if say the Gameboy wasnt in it as it was 'too new' (eg under 15 years).

Us oldies just have to realise that some of what we consider these 'new' consoles are becoming quite retro. But for me its too recent, once its 15 years old then i think its 'retro'

demon

Post by demon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 am

Oh and by the way, feel free to suggest PS3 games here if you want, especially if they are suitable for pre-teen kids. Our current small set of games includes:

Minecraft
Little Bit Planet
Lego Star Wars - The Force Awakens
Ratchet and Clank - Tools of Destruction
Journey
Heavy Rain
L.A. Noire
Skyrim
Mass Effect 2
Uncharted 2
GranTurismo 6
Rock Band
Rock Band 2
Rock Band - The Beatles
Rock Band Lego

demon

Post by demon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:53 am

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:51 am
To me its not retro but technically it nearly is. I think the cut off point for RG is 15 years isnt it ? When the mag first came out in the early 2000's it would have been weird for me if say the Gameboy wasnt in it as it was 'too new' (eg under 15 years).

Us oldies just have to realise that some of what we consider these 'new' consoles are becoming quite retro. But for me its too recent, once its 15 years old then i think its 'retro'
To be honest my own cut off point has always been 20 years 8)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 am

20 ? So when the magazine launched in 2004 the Speccy was 'just' retro, the Megadrive/NES/SNES/Gameboy etc werent retro ?

20 years is quite some time ! Think some people also go by 10 years

demon

Post by demon » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:53 am

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 am
20 ? So when the magazine launched in 2004 the Speccy was 'just' retro, the Megadrive/NES/SNES/Gameboy etc werent retro ?

20 years is quite some time ! Think some people also go by 10 years
Well it ain't a fast-and-hard rule :D For me, retrogaming interests started in the early 2000s with MAME and C64. At that time, I had no interest whatsoever in bringing down my old Amiga500 from the attic, it was way too recent. Only around 2010 or so I started to gradually take other systems back, Amiga itself as well as Spectrum, DOS and MSX. Only in the last couple of years I've taken out my old Windows games such as early Blizzard titles and the "XYZ Tycoon" or "Sim XYZ" series. So yeah it looks like 20 is more likely for me 8)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:22 am

Tooooooooooo sooooooooonnnnnnnnn

The retro term is a bit jaded these days, so just count the gen before
AKA; PS2/Xbox/Gamecube
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:49 am

PS2 isn't retro, so PS3 can't be :D

I'm grudgingly accepting PS1 is on the cusp, though generally I take that as the delineating period from retro to modern gaming, with its dedicated 3D hardware processing etc and the shift in game styles.

Pre-PS1/Saturn/N64 is proper retro.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:54 am

It seems to be different for everyone depending on age and experiences so hopefully everyone should understand and accept that.

For me... right now I am playing through the Mass Effect series... sometimes on my 360 downstairs and sometimes on Xbox One X upstairs (got to love that backward comparability and cloud saves!) and am interested to go back through old issues of gamesTM to look at the Mass Effect coverage from 2007 to 2012. So yeah I have nostalgia for this series and think it at the very least deserves Future Classic status.
Last edited by RetroBob on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:56 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:49 am
PS2 isn't retro, so PS3 can't be :D

I'm grudgingly accepting PS1 is on the cusp, though generally I take that as the delineating period from retro to modern gaming, with its dedicated 3D hardware processing etc and the shift in game styles.

Pre-PS1/Saturn/N64 is proper retro.
PONG is Retro, everything else isnt
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:20 pm

I think if current games are still being published for a console in physical form it can't be retro. So the Wii isn't yet retro and neither is the PS3. Once the Fifas and Just Dances stop the consoles can begin their gradual slide towards retro.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:44 pm

...in about 20 years ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:11 pm

The way I'm wired, I could live to 100 years old & still not consider anything post Megadrive/SNES era "retro"

I'm permanently stuck thinking 8-bit is the recent past, 16-bit is the present, everything after is just for the kids & I'm still waiting for the Stone Roses' 2nd album.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:57 pm

^Ha ha i'm the same. For years i wasnt that interested in any consoles from 1995 onwards. I'm a very late one to Steam which i have actually enjoyed finding out about new games.

I havent had any new consoles apart from a Wii my wife thought i would like so got one for Xmas (didnt so that was sold 3 months later). So any PSX2 stuff i dont really read in the mag but can understand why its there - plus it'll attract newbies.

Do find the Playstation 1 to be totally retro though as thats been a while

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:46 pm

The PS3 isn't retro by the mag's method (that'll be in 2021). But if you can find one of the ones with full PS2 compatibility that's somehow still in working condition, it's a great system for retro gaming. There's a nice selection of digital retro releases and of course the full physical PlayStation and PS2 libraries - which means plenty of worthwhile compilations.