Who likes retrogaming on a projector?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

pratty

Re: Who likes retrogaming on a projector?

Post by pratty » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:26 am

Might be a stupid question, but what actually is the benefit of a projector? I'm assuming better picture quality? Not relying on pixels? Accurate geometry as opposed to CRT etc?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:28 am

any imperfections in the wall will also show up, and depending on the wall covering you get variable results. The cheapest of cheap screens will usually give better results as it willl be flat and evenly reflective.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

demon

Post by demon » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:26 pm

gunbladelad wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:03 pm
I'm guessing that instead of a screen a plain white wall would suffice... :D
Yes it does :) it doesn't even matter the colour, white or any shade of grey will work. Light non-white colors might also work but you'll need to tinker with the projector settings to compensate the hue.

Our Ikea blind is grey (even quite dark) and it works fine. We even always use the projector 'eco' mode which means reduced brightness. It's a bit darker than a TV screen with this setting but the benefit is awesome black levels. There are people who claim that black screen is even better :)

The non-obviuos problem is that not every house has empty walls, since walls provide useful areas for furnitures, shelves, paintings and so on. But if you have one, go for it! :)

demon

Post by demon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:49 am

Hi all, getting back to this thread of mine...

Recently I have tried to connect a real C64 to our projector, but the image looks blurred and the colors are incorrect. In C64 forums I have read that this kind of things happen also with LCD screens and it might be because the resolution is so low that the screen's upscaling cannot handle it properly, so this might also be the case with our 1080p projector, considering that the C64 has a 200p resolution.

I wonder what the other projector-users have seen when plugging in their retro consoles and computers... did you get a decent picture or not? What methods of connection, settings and additional devices have you used to achieve better results?

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:25 pm

gunbladelad wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:03 pm
I'm guessing that instead of a screen a plain white wall would suffice... :D
just use a large cine projector screen myself.
Ive tried it on our wall and although its white , its just not up to the job so I found a screen at a charity shop with tripod for about £5 , works great.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:15 pm

I've never actually tried this, though I know a couple of people who have old projectors, so I might just have to borrow one and give it a go...
Press Play On Tape