Who likes retrogaming on a projector?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

demon

Who likes retrogaming on a projector?

Post by demon » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:31 am

We have a projector at home, not a very big screen tho, only 2m wide i.e. about 90" on a 16:9 aspect ratio and about 100" on a 4:3 aspect ratio. We use the projector mainly for movies and a recently acquired second-hand PS3, which is still too recent to call it "retro" for my tastes :D but occasionally I have also been playing MAME games with it, and it's a lot of fun! Connecting retro hardware might not be easy unless you have the right cable adapters, but of course with emulators running on a PC/laptop it's trivial.

I wonder if others enjoy retrogaming on a huge projector screen 8)

Big Shoes

Re: Who likes retrogaming on a projector?

Post by Big Shoes » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 pm

I play my Retron 5 on my home cinema projector, got a 120" electric screen and DLP Home Cinema projector, playing retro games on it is awesome

patmanqc

Post by patmanqc » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:29 pm

demon wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:31 am
We have a projector at home, not a very big screen tho, only 2m wide i.e. about 90" on a 16:9 aspect ratio and about 100" on a 4:3 aspect ratio. We use the projector mainly for movies and a recently acquired second-hand PS3, which is still too recent to call it "retro" for my tastes :D but occasionally I have also been playing MAME games with it, and it's a lot of fun! Connecting retro hardware might not be easy unless you have the right cable adapters, but of course with emulators running on a PC/laptop it's trivial.

I wonder if others enjoy retrogaming on a huge projector screen 8)
I always wanted to do that but never had the chance. It sounds awesome
Please visit my retro gaming documentary channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkuHX ... subscriber

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:25 pm

Big Shoes wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 pm
I play my Retron 5 on my home cinema projector, got a 120" electric screen and DLP Home Cinema projector, playing retro games on it is awesome
Is that 'easy' to set up ? Had a look on amazon, so what do you need ? Obviously the big screen, the projector itself. Then what ? Do you connect it to a laptop or do you connect it to a TV ? Is the picture decent ?

Really want to look into this, does sound cool!

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 pm

I just plug the Retron 5 into the HDMI port on the projector, the picture is awesome but it will depend on what projector you buy, my projector was about £750, it is a DLP 3D Home Cinema one

demon

Post by demon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:43 am

psj3809 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:25 pm
Big Shoes wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 pm
Is that 'easy' to set up ? Had a look on amazon, so what do you need ? Obviously the big screen, the projector itself. Then what ? Do you connect it to a laptop or do you connect it to a TV ? Is the picture decent ?

Really want to look into this, does sound cool!
I am not familiar with the Retron 5, but with an HDMI output (which apparently has) you can connect to essentially all modern projectors. Older projectors might have only a VGA output.

On the other hand, the audio output is another matter, normally you don't want to use the projector's speaker which is almost invariably bad. Again, I don't know anything about Retron 5 so I can't say whether you can redirect the audio output to somewhere else than the HDMI cable...

In our case, we use 2 different setups:

1) Laptop sends video to projector using HDMI cable and sends audio to wireless speakers using Bluetooth
2) Playstation 3 sends video to projector using HDMI cable and sends audio to wired speakers using RCA cables

That's because our current Bluetooth speakers are better (and more practical) than the wired ones, but unfortunately the PS3 doesn't have BT audio output.

Overall ours is a cheap projector solution, because we have only stereo speakers and we use an Ikea Tupplur blind instead of a real projector screen (so it's not very big and not very flat). Mainly we have decided to go cheap because a bigger screen and a 5.1 speaker system would require a lot more planning, and we just wanted to watch movies and play games asap :) but it's already very nice as is. For the same reason, we went with a short-throw projector because it doesn't need to be mounted permanently, and can be easily stored away every time.

If you are seriously considering doing it, I strongly recommend that you visit the AVForums website, where you'll find a lot of helpful experts.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks i'll take a look. I wanted to watch lots of my shows/films from Plex so i presume i'll just put my laptop in that room, doesnt have HDMI which is a pain.

demon

Post by demon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 am

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am
Thanks i'll take a look. I wanted to watch lots of my shows/films from Plex so i presume i'll just put my laptop in that room, doesnt have HDMI which is a pain.
Many projectors still have a VGA input so I don't think you'd have much problems, and you'll get a 1080p resolution anyway (I assume you won't buy a 4K projector, given the prices are still way too high). We have previously used VGA to connect our older laptop with the projector and there is no noticeable drop in image quality compared to HDMI.

Be aware tho, that I am not a very "hi-fi" person :D as I am content enough with 1080p and 2.0 audio, so YMMV. There are a lot of people on the web (also at AVForum) who are so hooked up on high quality that they will drag you down and tell you that everything that doesn't cost a fortune is bad. It's just not true for normal people.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:06 pm

Does the projector do 50Hz for proper PAL gaming and not that foreign 60Hz muck? ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:47 pm

demon wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 am
Be aware tho, that I am not a very "hi-fi" person :D as I am content enough with 1080p and 2.0 audio, so YMMV. There are a lot of people on the web (also at AVForum) who are so hooked up on high quality that they will drag you down and tell you that everything that doesn't cost a fortune is bad. It's just not true for normal people.
Thanks for the warning ! I'm the same as you, perhaps its my hearing ! I'm quite happy with say mp3's i have but some friends start waffling on about a higher bit rate and lossless this and that, i'm fine with the sound i've got, sounds good to me !

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:00 pm

The one thing I struggle with on a projector is rainbow effect. So no single chip DLP projector for me.

demon

Post by demon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:53 am

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:47 pm
I'm quite happy with say mp3's i have but some friends start waffling on about a higher bit rate and lossless this and that, i'm fine with the sound i've got, sounds good to me !
Ditto ;)

demon

Post by demon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:02 am

silvergunner wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:00 pm
The one thing I struggle with on a projector is rainbow effect. So no single chip DLP projector for me.
That is often brought up, so it is something worth being aware about. However it is quite difficult to know how much rainbow effect a projector has before buying, because the perception of the effect is somewhat subjective, and that means that some reviews may overestimate the issue while others may underestimate it.

In our projector, I can see the rainbow effect only on subtitles, but I definitely see it. The rest of my family on the other hand says they never notice it, and they in fact even struggle to understand what exactly I'm talking about.

If I remember correctly, LED projectors don't suffer from the rainbow effect by nature but have other downsides, and multi-wheel DLP projects have negligible rainbow effect but can cost hundreds of bucks more. Also, rainbow effect can be mitigated by adjusting brightness, changing the subtitles color to something other than shiny white, or projecting a bigger image. But ultimately, it's hard to tell beforehand how significant it will be, because it depends on the person, the specific projector model, and several other things...

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:03 pm

I'm guessing that instead of a screen a plain white wall would suffice... :D
Where logic won't work, I will

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:28 am

gunbladelad wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:03 pm
I'm guessing that instead of a screen a plain white wall would suffice... :D
It will but be careful because if your wall is not clean. Any muck and grease from hands etc... will show up as dull smears as that area on the wall will not be as reflective.
Last edited by silvergunner on Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.