GODS Remastered

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

rocky1980

GODS Remastered

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:42 am

Well its out today on Xone and steam.

Love or hate the new art style at least you can switch to the classic one. Anyone else buying it ?
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Matt_B

Re: GODS Remastered

Post by Matt_B » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:22 pm

I still play the ST version from time to time, so maybe.

I'm inclined to wait for some reviews and a release date for the Switch port though.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm

I never really liked Gods. The Bitmap Brothers were a bit of a marmite company to me, some of their games I absolutely loved (Speedball 2, The Chaos Engine), while others just left me cold (Gods, Magic Pockets).

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Might get this. Only ever played the SNES port, which felt like a clunky Castlevania/Metroid clone, but I was kinda fond of it.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm

I always found Gods be a overly difficult and broken game. The insane difficulty to compensate for only having 4 levels.

It remind me of Capcoms Black Tiger or Dynamics Satan on the C64. Dynamic was another company that insisted on making there games as hard as humanly possible. Game Over 2 was very easy and a much better game...
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:27 pm

We played Black Tiger in the league once. Someone absolutely hammered it with a 1cc and there was much dissent. I eventually got video of him doing it as proof it was genuine to try and placate the naysayers.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm
I always found Gods be a overly difficult and broken game. The insane difficulty to compensate for only having 4 levels.

It remind me of Capcoms Black Tiger or Dynamics Satan on the C64. Dynamic was another company that insisted on making there games as hard as humanly possible. Game Over 2 was very easy and a much better game...
I actually completed the SNES version. Doubt I could do it now as I always get lost in exploration 2d games.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:17 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:55 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:14 pm

I actually completed the SNES version. Doubt I could do it now as I always get lost in exploration 2d games.
That is mightly impressive I got to a Minotaur boss I believe. Is there only 4 levels as Super Play only did maps and Boss strategies for 4 levels. Can you remember if it had a proper ending as the intro was nice when he suits up in the mask and armour

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Nope, sorry long since forgotten!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Yes, there are four levels. I don't think that it's a particularly short game though, as they're quite dense and it's far more puzzle based than a typical 90s platformer. You could probably speedrun something like Sonic in less than half the time it takes, for instance.

The ending - on the ST at least - is just a static screen and a scrolling message. You get an extra credits screen on the console ports. Par for the course for its time, I suppose.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:56 pm

I must admit I never played it but it looks cool. I must also say that the original game feels somehow better, but it's still nice to see a HD remaster and compare the two. It's what I've been doing in the Monkey Island HD remakes, which included the original games and it was cool to switch back and forth and compare.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 pm
Yes, there are four levels. I don't think that it's a particularly short game though, as they're quite dense and it's far more puzzle based than a typical 90s platformer. You could probably speedrun something like Sonic in less than half the time it takes, for instance.

The ending - on the ST at least - is just a static screen and a scrolling message. You get an extra credits screen on the console ports. Par for the course for its time, I suppose.
Is the character always holding a sword (outside of the actual game), as per the SNES version? I always remembered seeing the character with a sword but never actually using it.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:17 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks Matt😁 I may be getting confused with Black Tiger but was there a lot of secret rooms, and destructible walls? I remember it being a unforgiving game where everything killed you, I’m going Fire my Snes up and try it

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:46 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:17 pm
Thanks Matt😁 I may be getting confused with Black Tiger but was there a lot of secret rooms, and destructible walls? I remember it being a unforgiving game where everything killed you, I’m going Fire my Snes up and try it
You can bash through some walls with the mace. There aren't a huge amount of secret rooms, but you get some useful items that way. Most of the puzzles to get into them involve operating switches a particular order; I'm not sure how you're supposed to figure them out by yourself other than by random experimentation, but solutions are pretty easy to find online.
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:14 pm
Is the character always holding a sword (outside of the actual game), as per the SNES version? I always remembered seeing the character with a sword but never actually using it.
I can't say I've ever noticed before, but yes, there's definitely a sword in some of the artwork. Other pictures have him holding an axe or a spear though, which are in game.

patmanqc

Post by patmanqc » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Visually I thought the game was great on the Amiga. However, I thought the puzzles were a bit too hard
Please visit my retro gaming documentary channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkuHX ... subscriber