Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

dolligan

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by dolligan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:20 am

Thanks RetroBob, I will look them up.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:15 am

dolligan wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:14 pm
like I also remember reading, many many years ago, in Amiga Format, I think, about a CDTV version where you typed commands in (like "grab sword", I guess) rather than entered joystick directions. Apparently the action froze at the moments where you had to make a decision, giving you a certain amount of time to guess what you needed to enter. I can't find any reference to this version of the game on Mobygames though, so I wonder if it was cancelled.
Never heard of such a version, plus it wouldn’t make any sense as the CDTV was a console first and foremost and not everyone had a keyboard, so i think you might be getting mixed up with something else, maybe an early Amiga disk version?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:27 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:51 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:15 am
The Dragon's Lair 3 DVD isn't very good. They've taken a 'proper' game with full control, recorded a preset sequence of it in play then transferred that imagery to the old skool Dragon's Lair style of gameplay - except the DVDs weren't very responsive or playable for that.

The game used for this base, Dragon's Lair 3D, is pretty good. The cel shaded graphics mimic the Don Bluth style as well as possible for the time. Giving full control of Dirk, this is more of a traditional platformer type of game, overcoming various obstacles in each room. For me, this was a great little game, I really enjoyed it as a fan of the old ones. I quite fancy revisiting it having written this.
Was the platform Dragons Lair programmed by Digital Leisure as Dragons Lair Anniversary replaces it with Space Ace, they even class Readysoft's Braindead 13 as one of there games. The graphics on the back of Dragons Lair 3 where cell shaded and they said it worked on PS2, X box and DVD can't believe that passed me buy... I will try to get maybe the X Box version as it appears its backward compatible with the 360.

I wish whoever owns the rights to Universals games would release Super Don Quoxite as that was class.. Sadly with Daphne i only own Who Shot Johny Rock, Sega Time Traveller and Space Pirates on original and Daphane doesn't recognise those games
Dragon's Lair 3D was a Ubisoft published game coded by Dragonstone Software. It was available for PS2, GC, XBox and PC. It's a proper 3D engine with cel shaded graphics.

The Digital Leisure Dragon's Lair 3 uses footage recorded from the Ubisoft game. The Digital Leisure game will work on PS2, XBox and DVD because the latter is all it is, just a regular DVD. Anything that can play DVD can play that version of the game, flawed as it is. Its sort of a neat concept, returning to the roots of the series by streaming segments of video together, but it isn't a patch on playing the real version of the game on one of the other systems.
Thanks Ant😀 looking at the YouTube video it looks superb really nails the feel of Dragons Lair. So much so I bought the PS2 version just need to get the PS2 down from the attic. It seems a game that’s stayed reasonably expensive, the DVD Dragons Lair 3 is crazy expensive. That will teach me for not buying it in Poundland.

Can you remember another Laser disc game which was a Western but you only had one button and no joystick? I remember you mostly gunned down people, but also this lady with a basket of flowers who turned into a monster and ate you? You couldn’t shoot anybody who was armed or least I don’t think you could, need to search EBay for that game.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

merman

Post by merman » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:16 pm

General Opulence wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:15 am
dolligan wrote:
like I also remember reading, many many years ago, in Amiga Format, I think, about a CDTV version where you typed commands in (like "grab sword", I guess) rather than entered joystick directions. Apparently the action froze at the moments where you had to make a decision, giving you a certain amount of time to guess what you needed to enter. I can't find any reference to this version of the game on Mobygames though, so I wonder if it was cancelled.
Never heard of such a version, plus it wouldn’t make any sense as the CDTV was a console first and foremost and not everyone had a keyboard, so i think you might be getting mixed up with something else, maybe an early Amiga disk version?
There was a CDi version.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

dolligan

Post by dolligan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:55 am

General Opulence wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:15 am
dolligan wrote:
You may very well be right - in fact you may have jogged my memory - thinking about it, it may have been an Amiga program, which somehow interfaced with DL running on a laser disc player? Does that ring any bells?
All I am sure about (well 99% sure) is that I read about it in Amiga Format, which I read cover-to-cover from around 1989 - 93. And I am fairly sure it was towards the beginning of that period.

demon

Post by demon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:10 pm

dolligan wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 pm
The Amiga had a drawbridge scene with a tentacled monster that wasn’t on the arcade. 😧
That's interesting, didn't know that.
Strange that they would be adding more scenes
The drawbridge scene existed in the original arcade Dragon's Lair game, but only in the European version.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:23 pm

The DS version is pretty good.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

patmanqc

Post by patmanqc » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 pm

dolligan wrote:
Has Retro Gamer ever done an in-depth look at all the different home ports/adaptions of Dragons Lair, its sequels and other connected laser disc games?
It's an article I'd love to see - firstly because so many different versions were released from everything to the ZX Spectrum to CDi.
I've always found the 8-bit home computer versions interesting, I think this is due to the fact I had only seen the DL arcade machine once in real life, when I went to Florida in the mid 80s. It seemed hugely unattainable and exotic, then these cute little C64/Speccy versions turned up. Today I know those versions were based on an earlier Coleco Adams port (and I guess the guys who did that are the ones who came up with the idea of translating the cartoon scenes into little arcade screens, which I've always thought was a clever idea).
Then there are weird and wonderful versions - like I also remember reading, many many years ago, in Amiga Format, I think, about a CDTV version where you typed commands in (like "grab sword", I guess) rather than entered joystick directions. Apparently the action froze at the moments where you had to make a decision, giving you a certain amount of time to guess what you needed to enter. I can't find any reference to this version of the game on Mobygames though, so I wonder if it was cancelled.
And of course Jim Bagley's amazing ZX81 port deserves a mention.
Not sure if the magazine has but my channel did an in-depth review on all the conversions a few months back I also look in depth at the arcade game and the creation. Here is the link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvRBrmEp4Ec&t=1s
Please visit my retro gaming documentary channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkuHX ... subscriber

dolligan

Post by dolligan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:45 am

patmanqc wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 pm
dolligan wrote:
Has Retro Gamer ever done an in-depth look at all the different home ports/adaptions of Dragons Lair, its sequels and other connected laser disc games?
It's an article I'd love to see - firstly because so many different versions were released from everything to the ZX Spectrum to CDi.
I've always found the 8-bit home computer versions interesting, I think this is due to the fact I had only seen the DL arcade machine once in real life, when I went to Florida in the mid 80s. It seemed hugely unattainable and exotic, then these cute little C64/Speccy versions turned up. Today I know those versions were based on an earlier Coleco Adams port (and I guess the guys who did that are the ones who came up with the idea of translating the cartoon scenes into little arcade screens, which I've always thought was a clever idea).
Then there are weird and wonderful versions - like I also remember reading, many many years ago, in Amiga Format, I think, about a CDTV version where you typed commands in (like "grab sword", I guess) rather than entered joystick directions. Apparently the action froze at the moments where you had to make a decision, giving you a certain amount of time to guess what you needed to enter. I can't find any reference to this version of the game on Mobygames though, so I wonder if it was cancelled.
Not sure if the magazine has but my channel did an in-depth review on all the conversions a few months back I also look in depth at the arcade game and the creation. Here is the link to the video.

Really great video - but I take it you also haven't come across the "type-in" version I'm struggling to find information on?
(Also you missed the Amiga version when you said the Mega CD version was the first "proper" DL home conversion ;) )

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:09 am

Well ST version was released at the same time as the Amiga.

I would argue the Philips CD-i was the first proper home port, given it came out at the same time as the Mega CD version but was actually arcade perfect.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:08 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:09 am

I would argue the Philips CD-i was the first proper home port, given it came out at the same time as the Mega CD version but was actually arcade perfect.
The ST version came out a year after the Amiga version in 1990.
dolligan wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:55 am

You may very well be right - in fact you may have jogged my memory - thinking about it, it may have been an Amiga program, which somehow interfaced with DL running on a laser disc player? Does that ring any bells?
All I am sure about (well 99% sure) is that I read about it in Amiga Format, which I read cover-to-cover from around 1989 - 93. And I am fairly sure it was towards the beginning of that period.
http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture. ... ize=308033
You may well have seen this article, although it was the ST that was connected to the Laserdisc player not an Amiga (though there may well have been an option if the connection was the same) not sure how many people would have had the money for both back then and what this ‘special’ Laserdisc player was.

Edit: just found it, Amiga, ST and PC compatibility mentioned.
http://www.dragonslairfans.com/flyers/LDG.pdf

Youtube video of Amiga connection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAZVJeIHLcc&app=desktop

patmanqc

Post by patmanqc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:33 pm

dolligan wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:45 am
patmanqc wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 pm
dolligan wrote:

Really great video - but I take it you also haven't come across the "type-in" version I'm struggling to find information on?
(Also you missed the Amiga version when you said the Mega CD version was the first "proper" DL home conversion ;) )
I have not found this type in version you are speaking of. The reason I didn't call the Amiga version a proper version is because it was not complete. I seem to recall reading only 40% of the game was included in the original Amiga release. The mega CD version was complete and proper aside from the loss of color.
Please visit my retro gaming documentary channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkuHX ... subscriber

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:36 pm

General Opulence wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:08 pm
The Laird wrote:

I didn't realise that.

The ST and Amiga versions still weren't proper versions though and I would still credit the CD-i with that honour.

General Opulence

Post by General Opulence » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:39 pm

The Laird wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:36 pm
General Opulence wrote:
The Laird wrote:

I didn't realise that.

The ST and Amiga versions still weren't proper versions though and I would still credit the CD-i with that honour.
Yep, Space Ace actually came out before it on the ST!

Not sure how they compare to the CDi version but reviews of the DOS CD and 3DO versions were a couple of months before the CDi version, which hit the market first would need more investigating.

dolligan

Post by dolligan » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:07 pm

General Opulence wrote:
The Laird wrote:

dolligan wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:55 am

http://amr.abime.net/amr_popup_picture. ... ize=308033
You may well have seen this article, although it was the ST that was connected to the Laserdisc player not an Amiga (though there may well have been an option if the connection was the same) not sure how many people would have had the money for both back then and what this ‘special’ Laserdisc player was.

Edit: just found it, Amiga, ST and PC compatibility mentioned.
http://www.dragonslairfans.com/flyers/LDG.pdf

Youtube video of Amiga connection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAZVJeIHLcc&app=desktop
Looks interesting - unfortunately that AMR link doesn't work for me - I can't quite be certain from the URL which issue it is supposed to link to, can you let me know, and I will look it up manually?