Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

dolligan
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 12:31 pm

Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by dolligan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Has Retro Gamer ever done an in-depth look at all the different home ports/adaptions of Dragons Lair, its sequels and other connected laser disc games?
It's an article I'd love to see - firstly because so many different versions were released from everything to the ZX Spectrum to CDi.
I've always found the 8-bit home computer versions interesting, I think this is due to the fact I had only seen the DL arcade machine once in real life, when I went to Florida in the mid 80s. It seemed hugely unattainable and exotic, then these cute little C64/Speccy versions turned up. Today I know those versions were based on an earlier Coleco Adams port (and I guess the guys who did that are the ones who came up with the idea of translating the cartoon scenes into little arcade screens, which I've always thought was a clever idea).
Then there are weird and wonderful versions - like I also remember reading, many many years ago, in Amiga Format, I think, about a CDTV version where you typed commands in (like "grab sword", I guess) rather than entered joystick directions. Apparently the action froze at the moments where you had to make a decision, giving you a certain amount of time to guess what you needed to enter. I can't find any reference to this version of the game on Mobygames though, so I wonder if it was cancelled.
And of course Jim Bagley's amazing ZX81 port deserves a mention.

psj3809
Posts: 18599
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by psj3809 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Always found the Gameboy version amusing. Thought they can’t surely do a version on the GB and they didn’t !

Just a port of the Speccy game Rollercoaster. Bizarre

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2556
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:51 pm

Funny to think what was once an unattainable graphics and sound ideal in games. The Coleco port (C=64 one was similar) was pretty solid, as was the Amiga one. The first "Arcade perfect" one was on the CD-I if I'm not mistaken.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7451
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by Shinobi » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:55 pm

I remember RG doing something about the 8 bit Dragons Lair conversions, the Commodore 64 was a port from another computer which the name escapes me.

The Gameboy Colour had a very good conversion with the cartoon graphics and the right direction at the right time gameplay. Obviously the graphics where more grainy and pixilated and I’m sure it was missing scenes like the Lizard King. It’s been a long time and some scummy tea leaf stole my copy from work
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

NorthWay
Posts: 1522
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:02 pm
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by NorthWay » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:10 pm

I think there was even an ADAM version that controlled a laserdisc to play a perfect version - can anyone confirm?

I could imagine re-skinning the GBA Warioland code to make parts of a DL "de-make". Castles and stone buildings always look great in pixel graphics. Oh, I think I have a suggestion for a feature for RG: Games with "XXX" in them. (Castles being the obvious first one.)

ALK
Posts: 2794
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by ALK » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Mostly familiar with the NES "port" mainly because of the Angry Videogame Nerd episode. Always found it hilarious the first screen and that dumb dragon was so cryptic and hard to pass, then things don't get much better when you pass it and after running out of lives, back to the dumb dragon. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7451
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by Shinobi » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 pm

The Amiga had a drawbridge scene with a tentacled monster that wasn’t on the arcade. I must have played it for an hour in my local Indy Computer Shop trying do the drawbridge.

Finally did the drawbridge passed the drink me scene easy insert disc😧
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

dolligan
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 12:31 pm

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by dolligan » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am

Shinobi wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 pm
The Amiga had a drawbridge scene with a tentacled monster that wasn’t on the arcade. 😧
That's interesting, didn't know that.
Strange that they would be adding more scenes, considering they chopped half of the scenes from the arcade version and used them to make the Escape from Singe's Castle home computer sequel. At least that's what I understand happened - documentation on the subject seems a little sparse. In the UK press at the time, it was generally just reported as a sequel, rather than mentioning that it was actually unused content from the original arcade game.
I'd also completely forgotten about the console versions which turned it into a platform game.
Does anyone remember the CDTV version I mentioned, which turned it into a text adventure? Was it ever released? Would love to try and play it one day.
Anyone got any idea which issue of RG the piece on the home conversions was in?

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7451
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by Shinobi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:35 am

dolligan wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 pm
The Amiga had a drawbridge scene with a tentacled monster that wasn’t on the arcade. 😧
That's interesting, didn't know that.
Strange that they would be adding more scenes, considering they chopped half of the scenes from the arcade version and used them to make the Escape from Singe's Castle home computer sequel. At least that's what I understand happened - documentation on the subject seems a little sparse. In the UK press at the time, it was generally just reported as a sequel, rather than mentioning that it was actually unused content from the original arcade game.
I'd also completely forgotten about the console versions which turned it into a platform game.
Does anyone remember the CDTV version I mentioned, which turned it into a text adventure? Was it ever released? Would love to try and play it one day.
Anyone got any idea which issue of RG the piece on the home conversions was in?
On the Philips CDI version you also get the drawbridge scene where as the X box 360 version of Dragons Lair has 2 modes Arcade and Original.

Arcade Mode - you see a cut scene where Dirk runs into the castle and the portcullis slams shut behind him. When you die and Dirks body crumbles and reassembled from a skeleton the next level is random

Original - Includes the drawbridge scene but you play the same scene over when you die. Also the Giddy Goon stage on the arcade you can take a different exit and you don’t get to kill 2 goons.

Yesterday I was reading my old mags and came across a Singe’s Castle preview in Commodore User. They showed a scene that wasn’t in the arcade with a wall turning into a monster. .

Not heard of the text adventure Dragons Lair but in Poundland a few years back they had Dragons Lair 1, 2 and 3, Who Shot Johnny Rock, Thayers Quest, Space Pirates and Time Traveller.

Dragons Lair 3 was graphics not a cartoon, can’t remember reading about Dragons Lair 3
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26383
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:15 am

The Dragon's Lair 3 DVD isn't very good. They've taken a 'proper' game with full control, recorded a preset sequence of it in play then transferred that imagery to the old skool Dragon's Lair style of gameplay - except the DVDs weren't very responsive or playable for that.

The game used for this base, Dragon's Lair 3D, is pretty good. The cel shaded graphics mimic the Don Bluth style as well as possible for the time. Giving full control of Dirk, this is more of a traditional platformer type of game, overcoming various obstacles in each room. For me, this was a great little game, I really enjoyed it as a fan of the old ones. I quite fancy revisiting it having written this.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dolligan
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 12:31 pm

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by dolligan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:35 am
dolligan wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 pm
The Amiga had a drawbridge scene with a tentacled monster that wasn’t on the arcade. 😧
That's interesting, didn't know that.
Strange that they would be adding more scenes, considering they chopped half of the scenes from the arcade version and used them to make the Escape from Singe's Castle home computer sequel. At least that's what I understand happened - documentation on the subject seems a little sparse. In the UK press at the time, it was generally just reported as a sequel, rather than mentioning that it was actually unused content from the original arcade game.
I'd also completely forgotten about the console versions which turned it into a platform game.
Does anyone remember the CDTV version I mentioned, which turned it into a text adventure? Was it ever released? Would love to try and play it one day.
Anyone got any idea which issue of RG the piece on the home conversions was in?
On the Philips CDI version you also get the drawbridge scene where as the X box 360 version of Dragons Lair has 2 modes Arcade and Original.

Arcade Mode - you see a cut scene where Dirk runs into the castle and the portcullis slams shut behind him. When you die and Dirks body crumbles and reassembled from a skeleton the next level is random

Original - Includes the drawbridge scene but you play the same scene over when you die. Also the Giddy Goon stage on the arcade you can take a different exit and you don’t get to kill 2 goons.

Yesterday I was reading my old mags and came across a Singe’s Castle preview in Commodore User. They showed a scene that wasn’t in the arcade with a wall turning into a monster. .

Not heard of the text adventure Dragons Lair but in Poundland a few years back they had Dragons Lair 1, 2 and 3, Who Shot Johnny Rock, Thayers Quest, Space Pirates and Time Traveller.

Dragons Lair 3 was graphics not a cartoon, can’t remember reading about Dragons Lair 3

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7451
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by Shinobi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:15 am
The Dragon's Lair 3 DVD isn't very good. They've taken a 'proper' game with full control, recorded a preset sequence of it in play then transferred that imagery to the old skool Dragon's Lair style of gameplay - except the DVDs weren't very responsive or playable for that.

The game used for this base, Dragon's Lair 3D, is pretty good. The cel shaded graphics mimic the Don Bluth style as well as possible for the time. Giving full control of Dirk, this is more of a traditional platformer type of game, overcoming various obstacles in each room. For me, this was a great little game, I really enjoyed it as a fan of the old ones. I quite fancy revisiting it having written this.
Was the platform Dragons Lair programmed by Digital Leisure as Dragons Lair Anniversary replaces it with Space Ace, they even class Readysoft's Braindead 13 as one of there games. The graphics on the back of Dragons Lair 3 where cell shaded and they said it worked on PS2, X box and DVD can't believe that passed me buy... I will try to get maybe the X Box version as it appears its backward compatible with the 360.

I wish whoever owns the rights to Universals games would release Super Don Quoxite as that was class.. Sadly with Daphne i only own Who Shot Johny Rock, Sega Time Traveller and Space Pirates on original and Daphane doesn't recognise those games
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26383
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:15 am
The Dragon's Lair 3 DVD isn't very good. They've taken a 'proper' game with full control, recorded a preset sequence of it in play then transferred that imagery to the old skool Dragon's Lair style of gameplay - except the DVDs weren't very responsive or playable for that.

The game used for this base, Dragon's Lair 3D, is pretty good. The cel shaded graphics mimic the Don Bluth style as well as possible for the time. Giving full control of Dirk, this is more of a traditional platformer type of game, overcoming various obstacles in each room. For me, this was a great little game, I really enjoyed it as a fan of the old ones. I quite fancy revisiting it having written this.
Was the platform Dragons Lair programmed by Digital Leisure as Dragons Lair Anniversary replaces it with Space Ace, they even class Readysoft's Braindead 13 as one of there games. The graphics on the back of Dragons Lair 3 where cell shaded and they said it worked on PS2, X box and DVD can't believe that passed me buy... I will try to get maybe the X Box version as it appears its backward compatible with the 360.

I wish whoever owns the rights to Universals games would release Super Don Quoxite as that was class.. Sadly with Daphne i only own Who Shot Johny Rock, Sega Time Traveller and Space Pirates on original and Daphane doesn't recognise those games
Dragon's Lair 3D was a Ubisoft published game coded by Dragonstone Software. It was available for PS2, GC, XBox and PC. It's a proper 3D engine with cel shaded graphics.

The Digital Leisure Dragon's Lair 3 uses footage recorded from the Ubisoft game. The Digital Leisure game will work on PS2, XBox and DVD because the latter is all it is, just a regular DVD. Anything that can play DVD can play that version of the game, flawed as it is. Its sort of a neat concept, returning to the roots of the series by streaming segments of video together, but it isn't a patch on playing the real version of the game on one of the other systems.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

dolligan
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 12:31 pm

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by dolligan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:02 am

There's another Dragon's Lair 3, too - The Curse of Mordread , which was a home computer version. Sort of like Escape from Singe's Castle, it used unused footage that hadn't appeared in the home versions of Time Warp.

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3050
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:48 pm

Re: Dragon''s Lair home conversions

Post by RetroBob » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:46 am

There's been a few articles that might cover this - your best bet is Conversion Capers in issue 38 and also 30 years of Dragon's Lair in issue 114 (is on the cover too).

http://www.parkproductions.co.uk/area/m ... ogamer.htm
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest