Saboteur on Nintendo Switch

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Gigifusc

Saboteur on Nintendo Switch

Post by Gigifusc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Saboteur was one of my favourite Speccy games. I absolutely loved it -one of my 'go to' games whenever I fire up Speccy emulators.

It seems to have been a very low key release - I just happened to have seen it whilst browsing the 'new releases' last night..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6H-TU9mlM

It looks like it's a port of the updated mobile versions with new music & SFX and larger levels.

I can't help but wish they had done more to it - a lick of paint, added a few new new simple gameplay mechanics and maybe tightened the controls for combat and ladders. It's only £6 odd quid so i'm tempted to buy it just to support a possible proper new game.

Antiriad2097

Re: Saboteur on Nintendo Switch

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Cool, not seen that. I'll buy that on principle, but its a game I'll play anyway.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Just watched the trailer, it looks like it is just the Spectrum game.

Is it that or a remake? Because as great a game as it is, £6.30 seems like a lot of money for a digital version of a 35 year old Spectrum game. :?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:08 pm

the_hawk wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Is it that or a remake? Because as great a game as it is, £6.30 seems like a lot of money for a digital version of a 35 year old Spectrum game. :?
Its a remake that's about 4 times as big apparently.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:54 am

the_hawk wrote:

Visually it looks like it's running on an emulator. My impression is that it plays identical too.

The update/remake parts are SFX, music, larger levels, maybe some QOL stuff like save points etc and you can choose to play Speccy or C64 versions.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:18 am

Need to double check the save points thing. Might be wrong there.

And I agree. But expensive. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:42 am

Here's what I wrote on WoS last night after spending just a few minutes with it:

Bought it this morning, had a tinker with it for a few minutes at lunchtime. It has some neat features.

By default, the options menu offers Spectrum and C64 graphic modes. I'm not sure why it limits this here, since if you pause the game once you've started, it offers a load more in the pause menu. From memory, I cycled through (and had a very quick look at) graphic modes for: Spectrum, C64, Acorn, Amstrad, NES, Amiga, Gameboy, ZX81 and VCS. Some of these are a bit of a mess (VCS), others are interesting curios (ZX81), but I suppose most will find a mode they like and stick with it. Much as I like the Speccy graphics, the Amiga mode does seem like a distinct upgrade, it looks really good. Maybe not top notch Amiga graphics, but it still looks like the Saboteur we know but with more colour,as if it had been made back then.

Sound is well done. Guards have sampled grunts while fighting, dogs make doggy noises, but the soundtrack is the best bit. It might not be a great lengthy composition, but it does seem very well suited to what's on screen. It sounds like spy movie music, I can imagine it gracing a Bond movie scene. Adds well to the atmosphere.

Also in the options are game engine speeds. You can leave it at normal speed, but there are a few options both above and below that. Knocking it up a notch or two shows just how slick the game is, upping the pace while still remaining playable.

I have forgotten my way around the map, so I need to relearn it. An automap would have been nice, but hopefully that'll turn up in the promised Saboteur 3 it promotes in some of the info screens (with Saboteur 2 apparently also on the way, which could be good with the engine speed up option).

My only real bugbear is that it enforces use of the analogue stick for movement. Since there's no analogue control of the character, it seems odd they didn't also map to the dpad. I know I'd prefer that for digital movement, it isn't quite so woolly as the anaolgue stick when you want to nudge over then go up a ladder.

As an enhanced port of the original, it's good. There's still some room for improvement with the new game, perhaps adding more button controls for combat etc so it isn't so restricted. Its hard to grumble about how this one has been handled though.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks for that mate. Really good review. I'm buying it this evening. That Amiga option has pushed me pushed the edge. :)

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:46 pm

the_hawk wrote:
Im guessing the original was a few pence more.

I never really rated Saboteur. It looked good and I always tended to get on with games from Durrell but the combat was so stiff. Sab 2 wasn’t much better on that front but the music was fab.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:47 am

I always liked the game, thought it was very impressive on the Speccy. BUT i must admit it was another one of those 'i'll just explore to look for new rooms' rather than ever try and complete it ! As a kid i had so many gamesi tended often to 'dip in and out' of a lot of games. Same for Knight Lore, just liked finding new rooms, funny looking back !

Got this on iOS and its not bad to play at all, might try and find a walkthrough and try and complete it after 30 years

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 pm

Combat is a bit rubbish (well, very rubbish), but that was never really the point. Being a ninja, it was all about sneaking around, trying to avoid the guards or take them out from a distance with a shuriken/brick (though lobbing a brick isn't very ninjaish). Sometimes its easier to just run past the guards and dogs.

I liked the exploration, and was able to complete at least the first easy mode, so much so we used to speedrun it before we knew speedrunning was a thing (this and Underwurlde were our faves for it). Somehow it has a sense of space that is missing from some games, it feels like a real place to me.

Saboteur 2 had a lot of potential, but I always found the Spectrum version a bit slow. On that basis I'm looking forward to it coming out on Switch with its option to up the engine speed. I could probably just speed up an emulator for much the same effect, but I suspect that will also speed up the timer.

Makes me wonder if a new version of Strike Force Cobra could work? They Speccy game was pretty good, but it suffered hideous slowdown at times.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:42 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:13 pm
Makes me wonder if a new version of Strike Force Cobra could work? They Speccy game was pretty good, but it suffered hideous slowdown at times.
Blimey! That's a bit obscure. I had that on a compilation but never really got anywhere with it. Thankfully the compilation had Quazatron on it so that kept me happy for a long time.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:21 pm

Saboteur was a good fame back in the day, and Durrell made some good, solid games for the Speccy. Personally I always preferred the original to the sequel as it was relatively short and completable. Yeah the sequel could be, but not as much fun, plus maybe the novelty of the original had worn off a bit.

Would be really good if someone did something similar with Quazatron, just adding maybe 5-10% more speed and smoothing out the scrolling (the only downside to the game). Maybe putting a couple more varied enemies, with a few extra weapons to cannibalise , and maybe an ending (rather than just looping back through the ships). I'd defo pay £6 for that.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:17 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:21 pm
Would be really good if someone did something similar with Quazatron, just adding maybe 5-10% more speed and smoothing out the scrolling (the only downside to the game). Maybe putting a couple more varied enemies, with a few extra weapons to cannibalise , and maybe an ending (rather than just looping back through the ships). I'd defo pay £6 for that.
Yeah, an ending (and some smoother scrolling) would be great!

deKay

Post by deKay » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:33 pm

Anyone managed to get the ID card in the cave in this? I fear my game is bugged as the card isn’t in the pool table in the canteen like it’s supposed to be.