Games with most hours played

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:14 pm

I had to delete Championship Manager 2/3 from my PC
I ended staying up 'til 3 or 4 am -no good when you've got to get up for work at 8am! It still amazes me how time could go so fast playing this game

For Amiga,definately Pirates!-what a fantastic game,used to play this for hours on end
Speccy - Quazatron
Atari 2600 - Keystone Capers
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:01 pm

Elite on the Beeb, definitely over a year, Dungeon Master on the Amiga, but probably Neverwinter Nights overall because of the Online Guild play.
If I added up all the ten minutes slots here and there through the years, Bombjack on the Speccy and Paradroid on the C64 are probably up there too, both timeless classics.

golgo13

Post by golgo13 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:38 am

FFVII I must have clocked about 75 hours plus. But then there was FF8, FF9, FF10 and loads more for JRPG's.

Xenogears I haver clocked 82 hours
Final Fantasy Tactics is currently clocked at 85 hours
Battlefield Vietnam is clocked at 101 hours.

I hate to think of the amount of time I spent playing Dungeon Master and Laser Squad.
Crown the wise, harness the talented and cherish the lucky.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:25 am

Elite, Quake 2, any Maddeng game, Baldurs Gate, Player Manager are a few games which have taken many hours of my life !

Elite i thought looked so bad at first i didnt jump onto the bandwagon, when i did though i became so hooked. I dont normally like adventure games but Baldurs Gate was brilliant, specially the 1 dvd version instead of the 5 disks you had to keep on changing !

Player Manager on the Amiga was also amazing, my player/manager was still playing at 86 as i had to keep him in the side or you couldnt play.

Also played Headcoach on the Speccy tons, that crashed at Season 100 !

AC

Post by AC » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:36 am

Final Fantasy VII

Silent Hill (For all endings)

Pro Evolution Soccer 3

Sabreman

Re:

Post by Sabreman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:48 am

golgo13 wrote:I hate to think of the amount of time I spent playing Dungeon Master and Laser Squad.
Because it's too much faff to dig out the Amiga, I play Dungeon Master and Chaos on the 'Return to Chaos' remake. It's great because when you complete the game it tells you all sorts of stats like how long you played for, how many steps you walked :!: and how many of each monster you killed out of the total default amount.

Of course, it just adds an extra layer to it because it's now become a 100% completion target...

"What?! I missed one skeleton? WHERE???"

*Starts again

Antiriad2097

Re:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:34 am

Sabreman wrote:
golgo13 wrote:it tells you all sorts of stats like how long you played for, how many steps you walked :!: and how many of each monster you killed out of the total default amount.
Wipeout Pure on PSP has a stat for how long you've spent looking at stats :lol:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

HalcyonDaze

Post by HalcyonDaze » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:32 am

A truly frightening amount of time spent on Champ Manager on the Amiga in 93 through to Football Manager 2006 on my PC, the most addictive gaming series ever.

Other games that I have racked up the hours on would include:

Kick Off / Kick Off 2 / Player Manager
Elite
Speedball 2
Laser Squad
SF2
Barbarian
Bubble Bobble

Non retro, then it would have to be the Pro Evo Soccer series that I cannot stop playing.

default_user

Post by default_user » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:51 pm

Atari ST: Dungeon master. I just played and played and played until I finished it. I have no idea how many hours of my life it consumed but it was a lot. Then Chaos came out....

Arcade: Metal Slug. Played it all the way through more times than I can remember. Again, no idea how many hours.

PC: Unreal Tournament. No matter how much I play I never get any better but this has probably consumed most of my gaming life to date. Still fire it up regularly.
My little retro corner of the web:
http://www.ricks-graphics.co.uk/area99

EnglishRob

Post by EnglishRob » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:55 pm

I've spent quite a bit of time on the Monkey Island games. Also spent far too long on Super Mario World on the SuperNES, and now the GBA.

Rob
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? - Guybrush Threepwood

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:12 pm

I think it's a close run thing between Championship Manager 97/98, Championship Manager 01/02, and Civilization II.

I put the blame squarely on Civ II for ruining my GCSE results, and plummeting me towards a career of freelance writing rather than a Computer Sciene degree!

Thank you Civ II :wink:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:26 pm

FFVII - obviously!

Then there was Kick Off 2 that must be up there.

Also played The Manager (think it was on the ST) for almost 24 hours straight (me and a mate started after work one night and played through til the morning, phoned in sick and crried on until late afternoon before going to the pub. Those were the days :lol:

merman

Post by merman » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:30 pm

Curse of the Azure Bonds (SSI RPG based on AD&D - acronym alert!)

Bard's Tale 3 (another RPG)

Wizball

The Sentinel

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:38 pm

Amiga - Speedball II
Lotus Esprite I II III
Panza Kick Boxing

Playstation - Tekken I II III
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:44 pm

The last game to really grab me was Total Soccer, a criminally overlooked football game which deserved a much better fate.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"