gamesTM and GamesMaster to end

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RetroBob

gamesTM and GamesMaster to end

Post by RetroBob » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:39 pm

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... r-to-close

Sad but not at all surprised, had been expecting it to happen to be honest. I had subscribed to gTM ever since buying issue 1 at Crewe train station as I was amazed to see a mag with a dedicated Retro section (this was around the same time that RG launched under Live Publishing too).

For the last few years I just wasn't reading the mag, don't know exactly why but it felt like a chore as I don't have time to read it and it wasn't covering games I was interested in (a long article on Destiny... nah). I unsubscribed about 3 months ago so this is all my fault.

I have 201 issues of gTM in my loft!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

RichL

Re: gamesTM and GamesMaster to end

Post by RichL » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Shizzles, didnt see the Games Master announcement, just Games TM.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:01 pm

damn.. that sucks. GamesMaster in particular I would read regularly other than Retro Gamer.. so that's sad news to hear.

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:03 pm

Indeed, I still have my issue one of both magazines.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:36 am

Weird timing, I just quit reading GamesTm last month. The mag just wasnt all that good anymore. :(
It used to be really good tho back when i bougth my first issue(this was around 2009).
Really loved the mag in those days.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:31 am

Gutted! :(

Been a subscriber of GamesTM since issue 2! The quality varied over the years but the retro sections and reviews were mostly excellent throughout.

Never consistently bought Gamesmaster, but I've certainly been reading it on and off for the last 25 years!

It looks like Edge is the only print magazine covering modern Nintendo platforms now... and I must admit I just don't like Edge. I've tried to like it, but they've always been more interested in gaming politics and people behind the games rather than the games themselves.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 pm

RichL wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:03 pm
Indeed, I still have my issue one of both magazines.
I still have the cheat book that came with the first issue of Gamesmaster Magazine - it's well worn and stuck together with tape, admittedly, but I'm proud to say that I still have it.
Where logic won't work, I will

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:31 pm

Printed gaming publications are dying out, sad but true.

It might be strange considering gaming is more popular than ever (e.g. 70+ million players on Fortnite alone), but it's also true that the younger generations aren't really interested in printed publications and rather take advice from the local YouTuber who tells them what he likes or not.

These YouTubers create hype for games, more so than printed publications or even advertising campaigns so times undoubtly are changing.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:58 am

Your Zzaps and Crashes used to have 250,000 + copies sold a month. I remember the original Official Playstation mag used to sell about 300,000 copies a month at one point in its life.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:41 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:31 pm
Printed gaming publications are dying out, sad but true.

It might be strange considering gaming is more popular than ever (e.g. 70+ million players on Fortnite alone), but it's also true that the younger generations aren't really interested in printed publications and rather take advice from the local YouTuber who tells them what he likes or not.

These YouTubers create hype for games, more so than printed publications or even advertising campaigns so times undoubtly are changing.
To be fair, my 10 year old son reads a couple of gaming mags still, mainly Minecraft and fortnite dedicated though. He watches vids on youtube as well, and I can't understand their popularity, but then they're not aimed at me. They always seem to be dictated by extraordinarily annoying septic tanks. Ho Hum.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:50 pm

really sad sign of the times, the printed mags tend to head the way of the good old Video rental stores.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:11 am

Never really brought GM or watched the show, but before I started buying magazines I remember as a kid being one I'd browse for the latest game news and screenshots. Was more an N64 Mag kid when I did start buying them, but I'd remember kids at school bringing their GM to brag about it. Thats why the Wrestlemania 2000 cover really sticks out in my memory.

Games TM I never read as I cut back on magazines by then due to, you guessed it, getting more of my news online. I stuck with N64 mag well until its final iteration, Nintendo Gamer, and its final issue because I liked the humorous take it had over the years.

Still, sad to see them both go regardless. That 2 familiar names gone from our WHSmiths Gaming Mag section. :(
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:06 am

Not surprised Gamesmaster is dead, it was always a crap kid's mag and it was inevitable that it's audience would outgrow it.

I do wonder if Retro Gamer is responsible for the death of GamesTM though.

There's no place for gaming news in print form these days, it just can't compete with the speed of the internet. Mags now live or die by their features. At one point, GamesTM was the only mag I bought, but latterly there was so much crossover in coverage with RG that I stopped buying it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:19 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:06 am
Mags now live or die by their features. At one point, GamesTM was the only mag I bought, but latterly there was so much crossover in coverage with RG that I stopped buying it.
I think that's the problem I had, I wasn't interested in a six page preview of the next Assassins Creed, random MMO etc, not because I can't past two pages, but I like to go in to games without knowing too much about them.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:02 am

Bit gutted Future have stopped doing any decent bookazines. I dont buy GamesTM as i havent got much interest in modern games but loved buying the Retro compilations they used to release. Then of course Future takes over and all the good bookazines just stop. Frustrating

Hope the staff really do get relocated and dont get made redundant