RS-07 Pro

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809

RS-07 Pro

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:24 am

https://droidbox.co.uk/droidbox-rs-07-p ... ators.html

Very tempting !!!! Been after an old school 'Grandstand' style gaming unit like this, there was one a while ago someone was creating but it seems to have gone quiet. Price for this isnt bad at all

Only thing which puts me off is that theres not many arcade games (compared to the others). Spoke to 'chat' and they said you can add games via SD so i hope thats easy and that.

Apparently its arriving next week so i may pre-order one

Bub&Bob

Re: RS-07 Pro

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:11 pm

So I take it this is an emulation machine with some games pre-loaded.If it lets you add emulators and roms etc then I’m in!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:55 pm

4.3" Inch Color Display ; Resolution: 480x272.

That's a problem. Given it's tied to a desk and has a large footprint thanks to the joystick, it really needs a bigger screen. That's a phone size screen, and not a large one. The Switch screen is 50% larger, and I'd prefer if it was bigger still.

The real issue with the screen is resolution. 480x272 is pretty awful, and probably the reason they've been so limited in the games they show. It'll cope with most 8 & 16 bit resolutions to some degree, but they'll either be bordered or horribly stretched/scaled, with little in the way of ability to do so smoothly.

The website saying it comes loaded with games and is easy to add to via a simple interface is a bit suss. Sounds like a very cheapo android device with happychick installed. That just makes the screen issue even worse when you consider the capabilities low end android tablets.

Oh, and I absolutely loathe skeleton cases. They look cheap and nasty.

Nice idea, badly executed. The design isn't awful, but it falls short.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 pm

I had the original RS 07, just got rid of it last week, looks like the Pro is the same thing but in an arcade machine format, and roughly double the price.
Its looks like it has the same firmware as the presentation of the emulators is the same, and that had to be completely scrubbed and replaced with an update because the original is just poor, the emulation is just not good enough other than with fighters and shooters which it performed admirably. But at this point particularly with PC emulation being so close to perfect with many machines, I also therefore expect that with any consoles I might buy and the RS07 just wasnt up to par. Its very good emulation and looks good, but... it just wasnt good enough for me, I felt it was just too lacking.

Dont get me wrong, its a great little machine for a quick blast or so but for the more serious console-r/emu fan, steer well clear, you will be left wanting more, a lot more.
Roms I tried that i really wanted to play just crashed the system and i had to reset, it happened too many times for my liking, so i gave it away.

This is, of course, if the RS-07 Pro is the same and the original but in different housing.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:06 am

^Hmmm thanks for the post

My biggest thing is i love the way its in that 'Grandstand' 80's type housing as like i say there was that other guy trying to do that but its just not happened for ages. From that video it 'looks' okay but what put me off was despite 1000's of games for NES, Gameboy etc when he mentioned arcade he said something like '48' ! If it was a full MAME installation i would love that

On your machine was it just a Capcom collection ? I'm sure i read somewhere that its just a collection of Capcom arcade games - thats it. Are there any non-Capcom games ? Space Invaders, Bubble Bobble, Commando etc ?

I think i'll wait for a few more fan videos as theres just one out at the moment from Droidbox. If its out next week a few more videos should hit youtube soon

Edit - This is the one i was thinking about - StarForce...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/414471971936828942/

Always hoped that would come to fruition

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:10 am

^You can always add more, should think it would run vintage arcade games quite well

Im still tempted to get one, pending what the stick is like, was a major sour point about the Neogeo mini

The videos make it look decent

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:36 am

Yeah i'm hoping its just MAME but the very low number of games for 'arcade' seems odd. Hope its not just a 'Capcom' emulator or something.

Also hoping it'll be easy to add games, if its anything like the one above which ncf1 mentioned it could be a pain But yeah the joystick looks great on the video, but i'll just be a 'bit' cautious and wait for a new video or two.

I want it mostly for arcade games, if they had said theres 1000 arcade games i would be pre-ordering it now. Quite surprised when i google the RS-07 Pro theres no other links to other companies or videos, i 'presumed' it was made in the middle east so i would have thought there would have been a fair bit of coverage .Perhaps not

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:14 am

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:36 am
Yeah i'm hoping its just MAME but the very low number of games for 'arcade' seems odd. Hope its not just a 'Capcom' emulator or something.

Also hoping it'll be easy to add games, if its anything like the one above which ncf1 mentioned it could be a pain But yeah the joystick looks great on the video, but i'll just be a 'bit' cautious and wait for a new video or two.

I want it mostly for arcade games, if they had said theres 1000 arcade games i would be pre-ordering it now. Quite surprised when i google the RS-07 Pro theres no other links to other companies or videos, i 'presumed' it was made in the middle east so i would have thought there would have been a fair bit of coverage .Perhaps not
Ive also seen it being called the "Retro arcade mini" and labelled as a Neogeo mini clone
Its relatively new so reviewers wont have it yet

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:09 am

psj3809 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:06 am
^Hmmm thanks for the post

My biggest thing is i love the way its in that 'Grandstand' 80's type housing as like i say there was that other guy trying to do that but its just not happened for ages. From that video it 'looks' okay but what put me off was despite 1000's of games for NES, Gameboy etc when he mentioned arcade he said something like '48' ! If it was a full MAME installation i would love that

On your machine was it just a Capcom collection ? I'm sure i read somewhere that its just a collection of Capcom arcade games - thats it. Are there any non-Capcom games ? Space Invaders, Bubble Bobble, Commando etc ?

I think i'll wait for a few more fan videos as theres just one out at the moment from Droidbox. If its out next week a few more videos should hit youtube soon

Edit - This is the one i was thinking about - StarForce...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/414471971936828942/

Always hoped that would come to fruition
Now it could be different on the Pro version but the arcade games (indeed it was a MAME emu) were lacking, and many didn't work. Not even Outrun worked, some of the great classics which left me floored, I thought whats the point? Admittedly I didn't waste much time on it, maybe with some changing of ROMS it may well have worked but I just really couldn't be bothered wasting more time on it, the screen size and sound were just not good enough for me so I moved on. It was an impulse buy sort of thing (the standard RS07), around 50US on Ebay.

Maybe things are different on the Pro... maybe the feel will be better with the arcade shell. maybe if I had the right ROMset all would have been a lot better.. unfortunately I didn't play around with it long enough. But it does play MAME games well when they work. They didn't give many MAME games, I already forget which they added as opposed to the ones I added but there weren't many, outrun, bubble bobble, ghosts n goblins for example weren't there.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:56 am

Cheers. Its crazy they 'seem' to put on decent emulators for the other systems and those have tons of games.

Then the most important one the emulators not the best and they have a small handful (48 ??) of games. Again i'll wait for a video to see someone adding tons of MAME games to it then i'll dive in

And yeah i know the screensize is small etc but i've been after a Grandstand style emulator thingie for ages. PiCade looks great but a fraction too big, i've already got an arcade bartop, just wanted a small 'grandstand' style device so i can easily take it with me when i'm away etc

Hopefully there'll be a few more videos soon

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 am

Pre-ordered one !

Should be with me next week so i'll let you know what its like. Watched a few videos for it now and Gameboy alone its sold it for me. Apparently the next firmware will allow you to have MAME (As the handheld RS-97 was the same, eg came out without MAME then was added)

Just have to smuggle it past the gestapo (Wife) once it arrives

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:58 am

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 am
:lol: :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:26 am

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 am
Pre-ordered one !

Should be with me next week so i'll let you know what its like. Watched a few videos for it now and Gameboy alone its sold it for me. Apparently the next firmware will allow you to have MAME (As the handheld RS-97 was the same, eg came out without MAME then was added)

it does admittedly look better than the standard rs07, hopefully it suits your needs, definitely let us know your thoughts when you get it!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:28 am

Had a few chats with a guy from Droidbox who was honest. I was stunned when i realised it only had say 40 arcade games (Capcom) but hes said there will be some firmware in the very near future which should change that.

Must admit i LOVE mono Gameboy games so i'm looking forward to that, i have an emulator on my PC/phone/TV etc but i love the old skool 'Grandstand' type look of this device.

Second it arrives i'll let you know, like i say seen a few videos online and it looks pretty good

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:49 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:28 am
Had a few chats with a guy from Droidbox who was honest. I was stunned when i realised it only had say 40 arcade games (Capcom) but hes said there will be some firmware in the very near future which should change that.

Must admit i LOVE mono Gameboy games so i'm looking forward to that, i have an emulator on my PC/phone/TV etc but i love the old skool 'Grandstand' type look of this device.

Second it arrives i'll let you know, like i say seen a few videos online and it looks pretty good
i didnt try the gameboy emu but with the arcade cabinet type setup would make it for an interesting experience. I wish i'd have been able to get the pro instead of the original, was just a couple months out but who knows, maybe in future I will try again, I would love a little arcade cabinet style setup.