Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike
Posts: 3631
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:41 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:22 am
As for value for money; you're getting a machine plus controllers plus 20 games for about £100. In this day and age, that really is not a lot of money and good value at around a fiver a game (with a 'free' machine). Obviously it depends on what games are there as to whether you would want it, but enough will to make it a sellout.

PS2 mini is inevitable, but Sony are no fools and - just like with the NES/SNES - know that to get the most from the PS One mini-market they have to release that first. Unless the PSO bombs (which it won't) PS2 will come next year.
Agreed. If you have FF7, MGS, RE2, and one of the Ridge Racers, those alone will make it sought after. And as you say, for around 100 quid, to have those in a plug and play will definitely draw a crowd :)

GAZBEROTTEN
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:15 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:41 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:22 am
As for value for money; you're getting a machine plus controllers plus 20 games for about £100. In this day and age, that really is not a lot of money and good value at around a fiver a game (with a 'free' machine). Obviously it depends on what games are there as to whether you would want it, but enough will to make it a sellout.

PS2 mini is inevitable, but Sony are no fools and - just like with the NES/SNES - know that to get the most from the PS One mini-market they have to release that first. Unless the PSO bombs (which it won't) PS2 will come next year.
Agreed. If you have FF7, MGS, RE2, and one of the Ridge Racers, those alone will make it sought after. And as you say, for around 100 quid, to have those in a plug and play will definitely draw a crowd :)
If they wacked in Die Hard Trilogy, Destruction Derby 1 and 2 with those it would sell far better.Although I'm wondering if the memory card ports on the PS1 mini could be used to support a large capacity data storage device that way so a ps1 memory card type data storage but in disc drive form.

kiwimike
Posts: 3631
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:32 am

Die hard trilogy a great call! :)

I am actually quite intrigued what games will make up the list, with such a catalogue to choose from. It would be nice if a few surprises come into play

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26595
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:45 am

I can't see Die Hard making it one, one for licensing reasons, two because it would take too much to get some sort of gun control (let's face it, nobody wants to play Die Hard 2 with the pad and it's the section that has aged least).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5227
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:49 pm

Much though some people might like to see whole series on there, I'd think that they'll probably stick to one representative game in order to cover more bases with the variety. That's generally how Nintendo have worked it, with them only doubling up on major system shifters like Mario and Zelda, and it makes a lot of sense.

Whatever games it comes with, they're almost certainly going to have to be ones you can play with the original controllers, because Sony all but confirmed in an interview with IGN that it won't be supporting any other peripherals, or see any further content after launch.

User avatar
shiftytigger
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:53 pm
Location: East London

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:31 pm

Not sure I'd want Destruction Derby as a full title - it grows dull quite quickly. If it was a bonus or addition to DD Raw I wouldnt have minded then.
Tobal No 1 would get my vote - Along with R Type Delta and THPS 2. Chances are pretty slim there though.
Not too bothered with Crash / Spyro as theyve been re-done anyway.

Vaguely remember getting a lot of fun out of Syphon Filter 2 or 3 as well. Not as much as Dark Mirror on PSP though.
Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26595
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:34 am

Destruction Derby 2 would be well worth including. It played very well as a racing game, where actually learning to drive helped progress (use the brake in a racing game!) and still looks pretty good. It's far better than the original. Never did play anything that followed though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike
Posts: 3631
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:37 am

Yes DD2 was a superb game that improved the original big time. Would love to see that.

I also preferred the Wipeout sequel, as it was a lot more forgiving control wise :)

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:28 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm
Seems pointless when a PS3 can do it anyway. Also PS games have aged very badly and I'm not sure it'll enjoy the mainstream retro appeal of Nintendo and Atari's efforts.
Not gonna comment on the "aged badly" statement, as I think old games need to be contextualized, but the PS1 did have several great games. Some examples:

Tekken 3 - best home system fighting game in it's time bar none, it was one of the few PS1 games that I wished for, as a N64 owner (we had crap fighting games)

Gran Turismo & Gran Turismo 2 - first time a console system got an actually enjoyable car racing sim, it basically wrote the textbook for "simcades", that is, racing sims that are also accessible

Metal Gear Solid - doesn't need a description, a "interactive movie" that is also a pretty good stealth game

Crash Bandicoot 3 - the third one was a great "2.5D" platformer, after Sega failed with the Saturn, this was basically Mario's biggest rival

Spyro the Dragon - even more "Mario 64 like" 3D platformer, not shabby, nor it's sequel

Resident Evil 2 & 3 - although the games were ported to other platforms too, the PS1 versions felt the most "genuine" (which makes sense since it's what they were initially designed for)

WipEout 2097 & WipEout 3 - two excellent futuristic racers, still fun to play

Castlevania SotN - one of the best 2D Castlevanias, a classic for sure

Crash Team Racing - the best "Mario Kart clone" on the PS1, still a fun game

Final Fantasy VII & IX - FF VIII was a bit crap, but these two are nice JRPGs that are still enjoyable

Chrono Cross - another JRPG classic, not much else to say

Klonoa - "2.5D" platforming goodness

Rayman - the PS1 version of Rayman was, alongside the PC DOS version, the best you could get for this classic 2D platformer

Doom - the PS1 version of Doom was pretty nice and felt a bit different to the PC original, it also included the whole of Doom II

Quake II - again the PS1 version felt different to the PC one, one of the few good FPS games on the system and worth a try even if you completed the PC version

Street Fighter Alpha 2 & Alpha 3 - two good ports of these Arcade classics, although the Saturn versions were a little better

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver - excellent fantasy action-adventure, still holds up both, visually and gameplay-wise

Ridge Racer Type 4 - a fun Ridge Racer game that also comes with the original RR with improved visuals

Mega Man X4 & 8 - two nice 2D Mega Mans, both taking advantage of the platform they're running on

Road Rash - fun bike racer, not the most "in-depth" game, but it's not aiming for that anyway

Tony Hawk Skateboarding 2 - was real fun in it's time, even though it's aimed at a specific audience

Need For Speed 4 - very good version of this NFS, in some regards better to the PC version

Colin McRae Rally 2.0 - superb rally racer, the PC version was a lot better, but the PS1 one was also very playlable and looked good for the given hardware limitations

Tomb Raider 2 - may feel clunky nowadays but was a solid 3D action-adventure game that made the PS1 popular

GTA 1 & 2 - two top down classics, worth a revisit


And I could go on, but the PS1 most certainly did have several nice games that are still fun to play today. The only issue is that the 3D graphics look horrible on modern screens, but with some CRT filters and/or upscaling and filtering, they can still look decent.

kiwimike
Posts: 3631
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:35 pm

I loved the idea of the Doom/Doom 2 disc being added (as one game!), although many might disagree being such a common game on many formats. The PS1 versions were my favourites.

ALK
Posts: 2925
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by ALK » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:47 pm

We can probably cross off Castlevania SOTN now as later this month its being rereleased along with Rondo of Blood on PS4. Could still happen, though the PS1 port has some pretty slow loading plus from what I've heard the PS4 port removes the voice acting (So no "WHAT IS A MAN?") so dunno if there's any new legal issue with that now or not.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1937
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:42 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:28 am
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm
Seems pointless when a PS3 can do it anyway. Also PS games have aged very badly and I'm not sure it'll enjoy the mainstream retro appeal of Nintendo and Atari's efforts.
Not gonna comment on the "aged badly" statement, as I think old games need to be contextualized, but the PS1 did have several great games. Some examples:

Tekken 3 - best home system fighting game in it's time bar none, it was one of the few PS1 games that I wished for, as a N64 owner (we had crap fighting games)

Gran Turismo & Gran Turismo 2 - first time a console system got an actually enjoyable car racing sim, it basically wrote the textbook for "simcades", that is, racing sims that are also accessible

Metal Gear Solid - doesn't need a description, a "interactive movie" that is also a pretty good stealth game

Crash Bandicoot 3 - the third one was a great "2.5D" platformer, after Sega failed with the Saturn, this was basically Mario's biggest rival

Spyro the Dragon - even more "Mario 64 like" 3D platformer, not shabby, nor it's sequel

Resident Evil 2 & 3 - although the games were ported to other platforms too, the PS1 versions felt the most "genuine" (which makes sense since it's what they were initially designed for)

WipEout 2097 & WipEout 3 - two excellent futuristic racers, still fun to play

Castlevania SotN - one of the best 2D Castlevanias, a classic for sure

Crash Team Racing - the best "Mario Kart clone" on the PS1, still a fun game

Final Fantasy VII & IX - FF VIII was a bit crap, but these two are nice JRPGs that are still enjoyable

Chrono Cross - another JRPG classic, not much else to say

Klonoa - "2.5D" platforming goodness

Rayman - the PS1 version of Rayman was, alongside the PC DOS version, the best you could get for this classic 2D platformer

Doom - the PS1 version of Doom was pretty nice and felt a bit different to the PC original, it also included the whole of Doom II

Quake II - again the PS1 version felt different to the PC one, one of the few good FPS games on the system and worth a try even if you completed the PC version

Street Fighter Alpha 2 & Alpha 3 - two good ports of these Arcade classics, although the Saturn versions were a little better

Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver - excellent fantasy action-adventure, still holds up both, visually and gameplay-wise

Ridge Racer Type 4 - a fun Ridge Racer game that also comes with the original RR with improved visuals

Mega Man X4 & 8 - two nice 2D Mega Mans, both taking advantage of the platform they're running on

Road Rash - fun bike racer, not the most "in-depth" game, but it's not aiming for that anyway

Tony Hawk Skateboarding 2 - was real fun in it's time, even though it's aimed at a specific audience

Need For Speed 4 - very good version of this NFS, in some regards better to the PC version

Colin McRae Rally 2.0 - superb rally racer, the PC version was a lot better, but the PS1 one was also very playlable and looked good for the given hardware limitations

Tomb Raider 2 - may feel clunky nowadays but was a solid 3D action-adventure game that made the PS1 popular

GTA 1 & 2 - two top down classics, worth a revisit


And I could go on, but the PS1 most certainly did have several nice games that are still fun to play today. The only issue is that the 3D graphics look horrible on modern screens, but with some CRT filters and/or upscaling and filtering, they can still look decent.
I'd be interested to hear your views on how early 3d games have aged. Do you think those games would appeal to people without the benefit of nostalgia? Or are there enough people to buy one on nostalgia alone?

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14263
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:36 pm

The thing is that many of these will be sold on nostalgia alone. By the time punters realise that actually it doesn't look or play quite how they remember , it will be too late. Still nice to have a cool looking mini PS1tucked under the telly.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
outdated_gamer
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:42 pm
I'd be interested to hear your views on how early 3d games have aged. Do you think those games would appeal to people without the benefit of nostalgia? Or are there enough people to buy one on nostalgia alone?
Early 3D games - you mean stuff like Battlezone, iRobot and Rescue on Fractalus? :wink:

Joke aside, I think PS1's 3D games aged quite decently, outside of the texture warping and pixelation.

The catch is to have good filters, either to re-create the real CRT look, or HD resolution upscaling with texture filtering.

PS1 games then look a lot better, like you can see in these videos here (NTSC CRT is the best as we can see):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fLiWNbp9Qw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmE3zhmZsW0

Assuming this "PS1 mini" won't use the actual PS1 hardware but something more modern (ARM most likely), some HD upscaling and CRT filters should be doable.

As for the nostalia question - sure, nostalgia is a big sales factor, but I believe it could also appeal to newer generations who want to experience the "grandaddy of PlayStation 4" or however you'd call it.

kiwimike
Posts: 3631
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:21 am

I actually love Sentinel returns, but fat chance that'll be on it! :lol:

Has there been any word on the games list yet? If it isn't up to scratch I will cancel the pre order, and by the looks many are following that idea- preordering so not to miss out, but ready to cancel if the list is underwhelming

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests