Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Megamixer

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:18 pm

Big Shoes wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:48 pm
I will get one when it is around £30, as long as I can hack it and put my own selection of games on
Perhaps a dumb question...

But if you hack it, does the poor emulation persist since it's the same hardware or is literally just bad quality roms (or whatever Sony used)?

As I say, could be a thick question but I wasn't sure what specific element of the Classic is "at fault" when it comes to the naff emulation.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:10 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:18 pm
Big Shoes wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:48 pm
I will get one when it is around £30, as long as I can hack it and put my own selection of games on
Perhaps a dumb question...

But if you hack it, does the poor emulation persist since it's the same hardware or is literally just bad quality roms (or whatever Sony used)?

As I say, could be a thick question but I wasn't sure what specific element of the Classic is "at fault" when it comes to the naff emulation.
IDK if it's a dumb question or not- and this is an even dumber answer as I'm ignorant on any technical questions!

But, from what others who do seem to know what they are doing have said, it's actually a nifty little machine with your own stuff added. That's why I thought at the price it might be fun to fart around with! :)
Hopefully someone who has actually bought one and done this will tell us.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:46 am

Megamixer wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:57 pm
Pacific wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 am
Is it the case that the PS1 Classic hasn't sold as well as Sony had hoped?

If so, is it just because the appetite for that retro doesn't match that of the Nintendo classic stuff? Or that the reviews of it not being as well done as it could have been (the display settings etc.) turning people off the purchase?
1. Underwhelming selection of games. I maintain that it IS value-for-money if you look at how much legit copies of some of the obscure stuff costs to buy on ebay (Wild Arms, Persona and Resident Evil Director's Cut for example) BUT the fact that most of these games are available on PSN for peanuts makes the classic a bit redundant.

2. The emulation is meant to be really poor which was surprising. Again, the PSN versions of the games are more or less spot-on so why would you want to suffer poorly emulated versions for a greater outlay?

I've always been a big PS fan but I have no interest in this device for those reasons.
Thanks for the info. That's a real shame about the emulation not being better, and a lost opportunity.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:55 am

So this PS1 classic was a great idea, just poorly implemented. The emulation, whilst not as poor as some people have described, is not as good as it should have been and in the inclusion of some PAL versions at 50Hz is simply not good enough.

Do I regret paying full price at launch? Absolutely. But just for just for a change of pace, here's a few positives...

1. The two replica controllers are brilliant. They're USB ready and are fully compatible with most platforms without any drivers/software. They are my go-to controller for emulating 8-bit/16-bit home computers.

2. The selection of games was good... Final Fantasy VII, Ridger Racer 4, Tekken 3, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto, Syphon Filter are all 'classics' of the PS1. The classic games that were missing such as Tomb Raider, Crash Candicoot, Spryo etc. have all received modern remasters on current platforms, did we really want to see them again?

3. The console itself looks stunning. A real collectors piece visually.

4. It's easily hackable. Softmod too with loads of guides on YouTube. The method is a little clunky at the moment, but it won't be long until the hackers have it looking great and working perfectly. So you can put those games on that you think are missing.

So there you have it. A rare positive spin on the Playstation Classic. For £20/£30 it's definitely worth picking up.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:01 am

batman877 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:55 am
So this PS1 classic was a great idea, just poorly implemented. The emulation, whilst not as poor as some people have described, is not as good as it should have been and in the inclusion of some PAL versions at 50Hz is simply not good enough.

Do I regret paying full price at launch? Absolutely. But just for just for a change of pace, here's a few positives...

1. The two replica controllers are brilliant. They're USB ready and are fully compatible with most platforms without any drivers/software. They are my go-to controller for emulating 8-bit/16-bit home computers.

2. The selection of games was good... Final Fantasy VII, Ridger Racer 4, Tekken 3, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto, Syphon Filter are all 'classics' of the PS1. The classic games that were missing such as Tomb Raider, Crash Candicoot, Spryo etc. have all received modern remasters on current platforms, did we really want to see them again?

3. The console itself looks stunning. A real collectors piece visually.

4. It's easily hackable. Softmod too with loads of guides on YouTube. The method is a little clunky at the moment, but it won't be long until the hackers have it looking great and working perfectly. So you can put those games on that you think are missing.

So there you have it. A rare positive spin on the Playstation Classic. For £20/£30 it's definitely worth picking up.
Cheers for that, it is good to hear a positive spin from someone who has one- was thinking of course it should have been better, there's no doubting that. But must be better than many give credit for.
At the right price I will grab one, and I will have a bit of a go at tinkering, as it sounds easy to do for us newbies to such stuff :)

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:21 pm

£30 in Argos if you can find stock. I picked up one last week.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:47 pm

Gah. Back up to £49.99. Keeping my eye out though.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:05 am

Yeah in NZ they started at 179.95 local dollars, which I had preordered at- then cancelled. Since then they have dropped down to $99, which is about 50quid equivalent. I would want to spend about 50-70 local, so we will keep an eye on sales and local auctions

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:18 am

£26.99 on Amazon NOW, get one before they go back up, just ordered mine

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Big Shoes wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:18 am
£26.99 on Amazon NOW, get one before they go back up, just ordered mine
Wow - bought, thanks for the heads up! I got free postage as well. Now just have to sneak it past the wife haha

Now... how do I hack it?? :lol:
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:36 pm

Meant to say - they're Used - wonder if a lot of people sent them back who didn't like what they got?

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:46 pm

They were new ones this morning, Amazon sold out quite quickly and the only ones left were the 2nd hand ones.

ulrich7ad

Post by ulrich7ad » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:15 am

It's on very for £26.99 as well.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:26 pm

https://www.playstation-gear.com/en/pro ... ive-bundle

£35.99 with a load of merch... Tempted to buy another and sell the first one on at a cheaper rate...

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 pm

Big Shoes wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:46 pm
They were new ones this morning, Amazon sold out quite quickly and the only ones left were the 2nd hand ones.
Mine was perfect condition, everything untouched. Still is lol