Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SJ_Sathanas

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:49 am

For me it's always been either a console or a PC. A console is generally much easier (ie; plug in and play, literally) but the pc can do much more with things like modding, emulation etc.
I'm not really sure where the Pi sits in-between the two.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:17 pm

Pi is just a PC. I can't see why people are having a problem with that. It was always the case, it was designed as a cheap PC for kids to learn how to code and do electronic projects with.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:17 pm
Pi is just a PC. I can't see why people are having a problem with that. It was always the case, it was designed as a cheap PC for kids to learn how to code and do electronic projects with.
Yeah, if you put Raspbian on it, it's pretty obvious that you can use it as more or less functional PC. You get a web browser, an office suite, python to do some coding with, and so on. There are just a few heavyweight applications that really need an x86 CPU where it falls down.

Mind you, the main difference between a PC and a console these days is the operating system, and there's no reason why it can't be a console with RetroPie. Once it's set up, you can just pick up your controller, choose a game and play it. The N64 and Dreamcast emulation is a bit crap, I suppose, but again you really need an x86 CPU for that.

It's also a decent media player if you stick OpenELEC on it, albeit not one that any of the pay-TV suppliers support so don't throw away the Roku. Still, there's plenty of free stuff around, and that's without getting into pirated channels.

Suffice it to say that I've got three of them with each of the above installed.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:41 am

I'm not directly comparing to IBM PC, just PC in general, comparable to the old Spectrum/C64/ST/Amiga. Can do whatever you want with the right setup, whether that's coding, playing games, or media player. Any PC can be set up to boot however you want. Just look at the number of MAME cabs based on PCs.

That's my comparison. Consoles are largely a single purpose device (though they've now got in on media playing too), but a PC of any sort offers more options. I'd include Android/iOS in this too, especially the former. A decent Android system can be a fairly powerful PC in its own right, which I guess may be stating the obvious when you look at the number of Chromebooks around.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:13 am

And price drops again. It's almost to impulse purchase price now just to tinker around with to load other games onto. 30 odd bucks in US dollars, 89 here in NZ

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:28 pm

Oh almost worth picking up at that price. Is hacking it to play backups (no really) fairly idiot proof or do I have to jump through hoops aplenty on websites more virus laden than that germ farm monkey from Outbreak to unlock it's potential?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:54 am

the_hawk wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:28 pm
Oh almost worth picking up at that price. Is hacking it to play backups (no really) fairly idiot proof or do I have to jump through hoops aplenty on websites more virus laden than that germ farm monkey from Outbreak to unlock it's potential?
Well, tbh I have no idea. I'm not and never have been into hacking and/or emulator stuff. But what I've seen on utube about this makes it look pretty easy and straightforward, so thought this might be the system to play around with. It does look as easy as loading games onto a flash drive, and plugging it in! But will watch a few videos to make sure, and of course get advice on avoiding said virus riddled stuff!

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 am

Is it the case that the PS1 Classic hasn't sold as well as Sony had hoped?

If so, is it just because the appetite for that retro doesn't match that of the Nintendo classic stuff? Or that the reviews of it not being as well done as it could have been (the display settings etc.) turning people off the purchase?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Pacific wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 am
Is it the case that the PS1 Classic hasn't sold as well as Sony had hoped?

If so, is it just because the appetite for that retro doesn't match that of the Nintendo classic stuff? Or that the reviews of it not being as well done as it could have been (the display settings etc.) turning people off the purchase?
1. Underwhelming selection of games. I maintain that it IS value-for-money if you look at how much legit copies of some of the obscure stuff costs to buy on ebay (Wild Arms, Persona and Resident Evil Director's Cut for example) BUT the fact that most of these games are available on PSN for peanuts makes the classic a bit redundant.

2. The emulation is meant to be really poor which was surprising. Again, the PSN versions of the games are more or less spot-on so why would you want to suffer poorly emulated versions for a greater outlay?

I've always been a big PS fan but I have no interest in this device for those reasons.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Yeah, clearly not the demand for PS1 classic than the Ninty minis, and the overwhelming feedback seems to be poor games lineup and poor emulation of the lineup. And such a shame, considering many were really hyped for it.

My only reason to consider is price has plummeted, and could be a fun cheap thing to add games on- as the positive feedback is it is really easy to do that, and make it a good little beast with many of those PS1 games people rattle off when remembering the machine.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:52 am

It may be simpler than that.

Nintendo minis = retro
PS1 classic = not retro.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:52 am
It may be simpler than that.

Nintendo minis = retro
PS1 classic = not retro.
Perhaps. It may well be as simple as that...although I do know plenty of people like myself that were at first absolutely excited upon hearing about it, preordering straight away. Then, becoming concerned as the full games list took longer to emerge, suggesting licensing problems- to the point many of us cancelled our pre orders. That doesn't even take into account poor emulation of a games line up that lacked the Crash Bandicoots etc that many expected.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:06 am

I'd like one, but the comments about the sucky emulation put me off. Luckily the crappy lineup of games already dissuaded me.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:48 pm

I will get one when it is around £30, as long as I can hack it and put my own selection of games on

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:11 pm

Big Shoes wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:48 pm
I will get one when it is around £30, as long as I can hack it and put my own selection of games on
Yeah, at that price it genuinely is competing with a Pi 3B+. :D