Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 pm

While it's interesting to see people play with it I don't really understand why anyone would buy and hack a PSMini over something like a Pi.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24297
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Its the same with those that do it to other minis

I pretty much dont see the point in any of them apart from them being nice things to put on the shelf
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5158
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:19 pm

People will buy them because they look nice and they're licensed products. Hacking is just a means of extending their usefulness once you're bored of the games they come with.

In terms of setting up one box to do it all, I'd think that the Raspberry Pi is towards the bottom end of your options too.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7467
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Shinobi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm

That Australian fellow has hacked it using a usb and he’s uploaded videos of games like Parasite Eve running in 60hz to his channel. As well as a download.

The Raspberry PI is absolute censored, you would need a keyboard, joypad, Case, HDMI etc. Download the emulators, configure the emulators, don your wooden leg and your parrot and whilst singing Shanty’s about no longer being able to pirate games from Emuparadise. Configure the game settings to get them running halfway decent

Not to mention the PI randomly resets all emulator settings. If I wanted to play badly emulated, laggy 16 bit games, with even more input lag through a LCD TV and a converter. I would get an X box at least that’s user friendly.

Most of the casuals and people whom the PS1 was there first console will buy the PS1 Mini.

The hardcore gamers on Retro Collect, NTSC UK, UK Vac basically every gaming forum but this will buy the original hardware as they will refuse to use emulators.

The PC Gamers on here such as Matt have nigh on perfect emulators and lots of filters to make those games look amazing.

Not really sure who the PI is aimed at.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike
Posts: 3575
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:01 am

Anyone get one for xmas and run it through its paces? Verdict?

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24297
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:52 am

^Played one

It really is trash

Its currently down to fifty quid on Amazon
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:31 am

Pi is aimed at people who like building stuff like that. Basically, weirdos. ;)

patmanqc
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by patmanqc » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:52 pm

Our local Walmart has it for 35
Please visit my retro gaming documentary channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkuHX ... subscriber

psj3809
Posts: 18689
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by psj3809 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:13 am

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
That Australian fellow has hacked it using a usb and he’s uploaded videos of games like Parasite Eve running in 60hz to his channel. As well as a download.

The Raspberry PI is absolute censored, you would need a keyboard, joypad, Case, HDMI etc. Download the emulators, configure the emulators, don your wooden leg and your parrot and whilst singing Shanty’s about no longer being able to pirate games from Emuparadise. Configure the game settings to get them running halfway decent

Not to mention the PI randomly resets all emulator settings. If I wanted to play badly emulated, laggy 16 bit games, with even more input lag through a LCD TV and a converter. I would get an X box at least that’s user friendly.

Most of the casuals and people whom the PS1 was there first console will buy the PS1 Mini.

The hardcore gamers on Retro Collect, NTSC UK, UK Vac basically every gaming forum but this will buy the original hardware as they will refuse to use emulators.

The PC Gamers on here such as Matt have nigh on perfect emulators and lots of filters to make those games look amazing.

Not really sure who the PI is aimed at.
Bit harsh. Got a Pi inside my arcade cab and it’s brilliant.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7467
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:18 pm

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:31 am
Pi is aimed at people who like building stuff like that. Basically, weirdos. ;)
Totally agree😀. You can buy a modded X box if you just want to play games. Or a Hacked PSP for people who claim to have no space.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24297
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:36 pm

The Pi is aimed at techy/hacker types, the amount of things people have done with it in the past is brilliant due to its size it can fit into most things.

It can also run emulators, 90% of people that have one just use it for that
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

kiwimike
Posts: 3575
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:49 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:18 pm
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:31 am
Pi is aimed at people who like building stuff like that. Basically, weirdos. ;)
Totally agree😀. You can buy a modded X box if you just want to play games. Or a Hacked PSP for people who claim to have no space.
The xbox option is what I have, for me it's outstanding :)

kiwimike
Posts: 3575
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:30 pm

I see it's now discounted quite widespread, even down here in NZ it's gone from 179.99 local currency to 99.99

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7467
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:38 pm

kiwimike wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:49 pm

The xbox option is what I have, for me it's outstanding :)
I have a Twilight hacked Wii, a hacked PS Vita and a small Vartek Cadet cab with Pandora’s box. Luckily the Pandora is freeplay as my cab only takes the old 10p.

I also have a Cadillacs and Dinosaur pcb which will cost a small fortune to repair. X box Mame is a godsend due to how fragile boards are.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5158
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Matt_B » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:55 am

I'd think that the Raspberry Pi is vastly superior to the XBox as an emulation/media machine.

Much smaller. You can fit a Pi 0 inside an Xbox controller, even. Go for a Pi 3 in preference though, unless you need something ultra-portable.
Very low power. You may even be able to run it from USB port in your TV.
Much better performance, especially in the Pi 3, thanks to a quad core CPU and 1GB RAM onboard.
A better class of emulators. PS1 emulation on the Pi is much better in particular, with very little frame dropping and minimal input lag if the appropriate options are selected.
Much better controller support. You can use nearly anything up to and including Switch/XB1/PS4 controllers with it.
Wireless keyboard and mouse support makes it much better for home computer emulation.
More modern and less prone to failure. At worst you might occasionally trash an SD card, but they're easy to back-up and re-image.
Still widely supported. Retro Pie gets a new release every few months.
HDMI output at 1080p@60Hz. Xbox tops out at 1080i@30 through component.
Native H.264 playback for videos at that resolution too. Xbox will likely choke on anything encoded above 480p.
KODI is still being developed for Pi. The XBox only gets occasional community updates.

On the other hand, if none of those things matter to you much, the XBox is easily good enough for most 8/16 bit systems. I'm not sure that I'd recommend going out and buying one just to hack though; it was a good solution a decade ago, but the rest of the world has moved on since.

Also, it's worth noting that CoinOps was finally ported to the PC last year, so if you're hankering for that hacked Xbox experience running on more capable hardware, that's probably your best option now.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests