Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

kiwimike

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:53 pm

Looks like I'm not the only one who cancelled their preorder, seems- judging by social media so hardly an accurate assessment- many have opted out.

Will be interesting to see sales figures for this post silly season

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:37 pm

I still have my pre order however I am really not sure why. I am almost 100% sure I will never play it, I can see it now on the shelf next to the SNES mini and my C64 mini
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:44 am

Eurogamer has ripped it to pieces. Not a surprise. Quick cash in with a poor list of games.

Sony just can't do what Nintendo does!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:08 am

Just in case there's anyone else who hasn't already been terminally put off by what you've heard so far, it turns out that nine of the games on the system are the PAL versions.

That's not necessarily a bad choice for GTA and Destruction Derby, because they're European games.

However, the other 7 - which are Battle Arena Toshinden, Cool Boarders 2, Jumping Flash!, Oddworld, Rainbow Six, Resident Evil and Tekken 3 - seem inexplicable. Sony really seem to have dropped the ball there.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... tterboxing

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:54 pm

Loving the video ad that keeps popping up in Youtube that begins with "in the beginning there was nothing" as if PS1 was the start of gaming :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:41 am

Megamixer wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:54 pm
Loving the video ad that keeps popping up in Youtube that begins with "in the beginning there was nothing" as if PS1 was the start of gaming :lol:
NO everybody knows it started at Fortnite
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Still got my pre-order... I just collect up all these mini consoles and I think the choice of games is very good.

People are complaining about no Tomb Raider, no Crash Bandicoot, no WipeOut... yes, these games are the heart of the PS1 but we've all played them very recently with the HD remakes. It makes sense to exclude these given the time of this release. My only gripe is not including dual analogue sticks and the ability to purchase more titles from an e-shop.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:06 pm

batman877 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:44 pm
Still got my pre-order... I just collect up all these mini consoles and I think the choice of games is very good.

People are complaining about no Tomb Raider, no Crash Bandicoot, no WipeOut... yes, these games are the heart of the PS1 but we've all played them very recently with the HD remakes. It makes sense to exclude these given the time of this release. My only gripe is not including dual analogue sticks and the ability to purchase more titles from an e-shop.
And the mini has games nobody played recently because a lot of people remember them being pish
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:28 pm

The line up of games I expected there to be issues with due to licensing, both games and their soundtracks. And the longer they took to release the full list, the more uncomfortable I got. I cancelled my preorder before it was even released.
That said, the list is actually stronger than I expected it to be. Just not strong enough for me to reconsider placing an order again- too many I was looking for absent- emulation seems to be the best option for me in this case. I have the two mini Nintendos which are pretty nice I think, I will leave it at that before I become a collector again without realising it! :)

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:49 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:08 am
Just in case there's anyone else who hasn't already been terminally put off by what you've heard so far, it turns out that nine of the games on the system are the PAL versions.

That's not necessarily a bad choice for GTA and Destruction Derby, because they're European games.

However, the other 7 - which are Battle Arena Toshinden, Cool Boarders 2, Jumping Flash!, Oddworld, Rainbow Six, Resident Evil and Tekken 3 - seem inexplicable. Sony really seem to have dropped the ball there.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... tterboxing
Yep the yanks are going to see how bad us PAL gamers had it when they play Tekken 3.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:25 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:06 pm
And the mini has games nobody played recently because a lot of people remember them being pish
Don't really understand why you'd say that... the only pish game is 'Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six'. The other 19 titles range from good to excellent. Good mix of genres too.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:38 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Of course not, but it did make console gaming mainstream and not just "kid's business".

PS1 set the template that would make the way for the likes of the Wii and mobile gaming, which reached a broad audience rather than just "gamers".

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:41 pm

batman877 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:25 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:06 pm
Don't really understand why you'd say that... the only pish game is 'Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six'. The other 19 titles range from good to excellent. Good mix of genres too.
Rainbow Six is great on the PC though, seems the PS1 version was somewhat compromised. I think Quake II or Medal of Honour would make better choices for a PS1 FPS representative.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:36 pm

outdated_gamer wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:38 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Of course not, but it did make console gaming mainstream and not just "kid's business".

PS1 set the template that would make the way for the likes of the Wii and mobile gaming, which reached a broad audience rather than just "gamers".
I thought you were older than that. Games were mainstream before that. Everyone played them in the 70s and early 80s. There's a blip of 10 years where it tailed off. Then all the kids that had been playing them all along grew up.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:44 am

True, I remember my parents playing the likes of Space Invaders & Breakout in the early 80s, they'd have been in their late 30s early 40s...but would never pick up a joystick or joypad since.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue