Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3336
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by greenberet79 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:56 am

Anyone recommend any decent 2D games? I was an owner at the time but was sucked in by the 3D side of things
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

User avatar
Elgin_McQueen
Posts: 6733
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:08 am
Location: Elgin, Scotland

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:42 pm

If they're that easily hackable, and the roms are easy enough to find I'm tempted to get one and take it offshore with me.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Image
Image

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3336
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by greenberet79 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:07 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:42 pm
If they're that easily hackable, and the roms are easy enough to find I'm tempted to get one and take it offshore with me.
Would you be better with a handheld? Psp is easy to hack, has tonnes of great psp games and emulators galore.

Vita is good too but but more tricky to hack (though easy enough that I've done it twice).
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4569
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Indeed. The PSPs PS1 emulator is also significantly better than the PS1-Classic as well, especially if you're running "official" PSN Playstation 1 game eboots - they're practically flawless.

User avatar
The Last Ginja
Posts: 1987
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:29 pm
Location: Currently Adventuring in Norwich

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:53 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:56 am
Anyone recommend any decent 2D games? I was an owner at the time but was sucked in by the 3D side of things
Symphony of the Night, Rayman, R Type Delta, Rapid Reload. Street Fighter Alpha 2 and 3. Although I prefer 2. The Raiden Project was a great 2D shooter. Blood Omen Legacy of Kain, basically Zelda with a vampire.

Although not strictly 2D I loved the Pandemonium games.

I also did the 3D thing totally missing out on Symphony of the night until the 360 conversion. I went into my local Indie game shop with the intention of buying SOTN for £30, but someone was about to trade in FF7 and they offered him £25. I offered £27 and got it off him. The shop weren't happy but in hindsight as much as I enjoyed it I'd have been better off buying SOTN. Oh well.

User avatar
Elgin_McQueen
Posts: 6733
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:08 am
Location: Elgin, Scotland

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Hmmm, good points guys about the PSP idea. I've got one, and it has been hacked already. Whipped it out a couple of months ago and was annoyed at how loud it is when playing UMD's, but emulation wouldn't make a peep. Used to have Mega Drive, Master System and Speccy stuff on it hadn't thought of going PS1. The thought of playing Destruction Derby 2 again is great. Just gonna have to find the stuff now.
Last edited by Elgin_McQueen on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Image
Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26564
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:08 am

The problem with PS1 emulation on PSP is the lack of shoulder buttons in games that use all four on the pad.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Big Shoes
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:29 pm
Location: Crawley

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Big Shoes » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:41 pm

My PS1 Classic is now hacked with BleemSync 1.1 and now has over 80 games on it, it is harder and takes a lot longer to hack then the NES/SNES Mini's but totally worth it. I have been playing Castlevania SOTN on it and it is great.

User avatar
greenberet79
Posts: 3336
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Liverpool

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 am

Big Shoes wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:41 pm
My PS1 Classic is now hacked with BleemSync 1.1 and now has over 80 games on it, it is harder and takes a lot longer to hack then the NES/SNES Mini's but totally worth it. I have been playing Castlevania SOTN on it and it is great.
Are you able to still use two controllers? The hacks I've seen use a usb slot so you can only plug in one control pad, which is annoying for sports games.

Mine is still in the box ha. Took it out once, had a look (lovely machine) and put it back.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ALK
Posts: 2895
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by ALK » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:03 pm

£16.99 as part of Prime Day. Will Amazon finally be able to ship all their stock at last?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-99 ... OLE&sr=8-3
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3125
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:48 pm

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:54 pm

Not to me they won't.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

kiwimike
Posts: 3601
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:40 am

I have been going to pick this up at the right discount, for the fun of adding stuff, but in New Zealand they won't discount too much, so they are not going to get over 50 quid out of me for it. Not sure if our retailers and importers realise the world is a far smaller place nowadays, we can see we are getting ripped off

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5188
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:59 am

Oh, they know it all right. They're just very good at factoring in the costs and uncertainties of international shipping.

So yeah, you can order it cheaper from overseas, but you'll have to wait ages for it to arrive and it'll end up costing you more and taking even longer if you get a dud and you've got to return it.

Even at 50 quid it doesn't seem that bad value though, especially if you'll never get a shot at one for less. I guess it depends on how much use you have for two controllers without analogue sticks and an ornament.

User avatar
Dudley
Posts: 8647
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:53 am
Contact:

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Dudley » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:15 am

greenberet79 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 am
Big Shoes wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:41 pm
My PS1 Classic is now hacked with BleemSync 1.1 and now has over 80 games on it, it is harder and takes a lot longer to hack then the NES/SNES Mini's but totally worth it. I have been playing Castlevania SOTN on it and it is great.
Are you able to still use two controllers? The hacks I've seen use a usb slot so you can only plug in one control pad, which is annoying for sports games.

Mine is still in the box ha. Took it out once, had a look (lovely machine) and put it back.
I *think* you can use a usb hub. There are also physical mods that work differently.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

kiwimike
Posts: 3601
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:02 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:59 am
Oh, they know it all right. They're just very good at factoring in the costs and uncertainties of international shipping.

So yeah, you can order it cheaper from overseas, but you'll have to wait ages for it to arrive and it'll end up costing you more and taking even longer if you get a dud and you've got to return it.

Even at 50 quid it doesn't seem that bad value though, especially if you'll never get a shot at one for less. I guess it depends on how much use you have for two controllers without analogue sticks and an ornament.
Yeah fair points, but they can still get stuffed! :lol: I'll just pick one up second hand at some stage from someone that buys one on a whim then gets bored.

I've had this out with some retailers, even with the likes of magazines (Retro Gamer and Imagine FX, which are a ridiculous local price and three issues old when they hit shelves). The response was either nothing, or my favourite was you're paying for convenience and if you don't like it buy online. That same company was bitching in mainstream media how people shop online and don't support local companies :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest