Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

shiftytigger

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:21 pm

Yikes. Ah well I'll just keep an eye out for someone to hack them and stick some good stuff in there instead.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:36 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:21 pm
Yikes. Ah well I'll just keep an eye out for someone to hack them and stick some good stuff in there instead.
Raspberry Pi and a USB controller.........
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:39 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:36 pm
shiftytigger wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:21 pm
Raspberry Pi and a USB controller.........
True - i really must try one. Is PS1 emulation on a Pi any good?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:45 pm

I think it's an excellent line up, better than I thought it might end up.

Sure, there's a couple where I'd rather they gave us an alternate in the series, but in terms of a good mix of quality and nostalgia without really dropping the bar too low, it's hard to argue with.

Toshinden is probably the obvious one to be critical of, but it was very important as a launch title, and those transparencies really sold it over the inferior Saturn. It's not brilliant as a game, but it does push the nostalgia button and we do have a Tekken for balance.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:17 pm

Posted this elsewhere but oh well. Consider the current going rates for these three games alone:

Revelations: Persona - £80-£100 for an NTSC copy (didn't come out in PAL)
Resident Evil Director's Cut - around £20 (prices varies wildly but £20 is the average)
Wild Arms - £20-£30 for PAL

So there's solid value on there if you discount PSN and emulation as ways to already play these games cheaper than hunting down original copies. The other stuff on there - while not necessarily mega expensive/rare/desirable - all adds up as well.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:18 pm

20 games confirmed get ready as even the first Grand Theft Auto is among that list. First off shout out to game central team over at metro for there great article on this

[url]https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/29/playstat ... d-8085649/[/url

The trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYB80LH7fy4

List of confirmed games
https://imgur.com/a/cv7Oijc

A solid lineup will be getting this

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:11 am

Yeah, it looks about as good as could be expected to me. There are some obvious classics and more obscure games, a mix of 2D and 3D, a good breadth of genres, very little filler - with the obvious exception of more Tosh than Inden - and they're mostly ones that have held up fairly well over time too.

That's not going to stop half the internet going ballistic about what's not on there, of course - and there were inevitably going to be a lot of big names missing - but it's a system that had such broad appeal that they simply couldn't be expected to cover all bases. The Japanese versions of these things always seem to get the better games too.

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:12 am

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:11 am
Yeah, it looks about as good as could be expected to me. There are some obvious classics and more obscure games, a mix of 2D and 3D, a good breadth of genres, very little filler - with the obvious exception of more Tosh than Inden - and they're mostly ones that have held up fairly well over time too.

That's not going to stop half the internet going ballistic about what's not on there, of course - and there were inevitably going to be a lot of big names missing - but it's a system that had such broad appeal that they simply couldn't be expected to cover all bases. The Japanese versions of these things always seem to get the better games too.
Depending on how well this sells Sony could release a few versions with different sets of games so anyone who doesn't like one set of 20 games could get another set of 20 games with the console. That we would get a wider variety and a greater choice.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:32 am

GAZBEROTTEN wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:12 am
Matt_B wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:11 am

Depending on how well this sells Sony could release a few versions with different sets of games so anyone who doesn't like one set of 20 games could get another set of 20 games with the console. That we would get a wider variety and a greater choice.
Quite possibly a good idea, although run the risk of being accused on milking it. But it might be a good option.

I like the line up, IMO there is certainly good value there, although most are surprised there is not a Wipeout, Tomb Raider, or Crash game there.

I doubt I will put it back on preorder though...but you never know, if I saw on a shelf in the xmas sales it might be an impulse buy.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:54 pm

The Laird wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:08 pm
Well here is the games list:

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash!
Metal Gear Solid
Mr. Driller
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director's Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms

Full article here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... specs-5928
Surprised there's no Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, Tomb Raider, Wipeout and Mega Man. Also, I think most would prefer Spyro over Jumping Flash and Street Fighter Alpha over Super Puzzle Fighter, but it's not a bad list per-se. I'm also suprised that they went for the original, low-res, pixelated and low framerate PSX look and feel, but I guess that makes it more "authentic".

The price of the system seems a little steep for now, I guess due to some licensing fees, and as always it would be nice to expand the games list in the future, but that's probably hacker's job. I do wonder if there will be a high demand though, I have a feeling the PlayStation crowd is not as "loyalist" as the Nintendo crowd is. Then again, it was said that Nintendo made shortages of NES/SNES mini on purpose, which I can neither confirm nor deny.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:10 pm

Ah yeah, Wipeout. I knew something was missing but couldn't put my finger on it.

Toca, V-Rally, Colin McRae or maybe even Micro Machines might have been nice. Gran Turismo would have been cool but I guess it would be bogged down in licensing issues. I was never going to buy it so I guess my opinion doesn't really matter though.

HdE

Post by HdE » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:31 pm

I really feel conflicted about this product now. Overall, I'm leaning in the direction I stated right at the beginning when this was anounced. It really feels like Sony have have pulled this together quickly to make sure they cash in on the evident demand for these mini consoles.

The line up of games feels disappointing to me, but when I look back over them, there's actually very few that I WOULDN'T want to be able to play again. Only Rayman is the real stinkeroo as far as I'm concerned. I know it's fondly regarded, but it just ain't my bag.

In terms of value for money, I do think it looks pretty good. That said, I still think Sony could and should have added more games.

I think now, a lot will come down to how well the unit performs. If the controllers are good quality units and not dodgy repros, and there are no egregious issues with the emulation, then itll probably be a worthy purchase. But I won't be pre-ordering one until reviews start to appear.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:55 pm

Some games that probably cost Sony next to nothing to acquire, plus a number of 'first in the series' games to tempt people to get later titles. Major surprises for me are lack of Crash and Tomb Raider, and a real shame RE2, Parrappa and no footy game.

As for Sony bringing out more mini consoles with 20 different games on rather than allowing new games to be purchased and downloaded; crazy. Does anyone really want a row of mini PS1s so they can have their favourite few games? Not going to happen Sony. What they SHOULD have done is release it with the 20, plus another 5 games downloadable - provided you sign up to the Sony online store. Yeah hackers will still hack, but there would have been TONS of downloads of people's must-have games on Xmas day. Even at £5 - perhaps even £9.99 - a title they could make an absolute killing , with people wanting to play THEIR favourite PS1 game (which probably ain't included already). I know I'd pay a fiver each for Parrappa, RE2, Ridge Racer Revolution etc.

Surely Sony don't want to dwell on producing more/different PSOnes, they should be focussing on next year's mini PS2 and on new and different PS1 games to be available online.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

mayday10

Post by mayday10 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:25 pm

I was thinking they could have somehow made the unit look like a PS, but discman size and capable of reading and playing real PS games (along with the 20 onboard)

As far as disappointments. I would say, Parappa/Rapper, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, and GTA 2.

I could do without any fighting game(s). Or at least limit it to 1.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 pm

I could perhaps see them having held back a few games for a second device if this is a hit. They've also got plenty of sequels to the games on there too. Still, that'd depend on the demand and I couldn't see it happening before this time next year.

There's no way they'd make it with an optical drive though. That'd add another ten dollars to the parts cost and increase the failure rate tenfold, all for the sake of a relatively small number of customers who already presumably have other devices to play their existing games on.

Similarly, adding an internet store for downloads and updates wouldn't hold much attraction for them either. It'd maybe cost them a dollar to add a WiFi chip per device, but a massive amount more to supply the infrastructure, and once again it'd be all for the sake of the handful of people who are going to see it as more than a novelty item that'll get a few months use before it becomes an ornament.

Let's face it, if they want to re-release PS1 games on physical media or as downloads, they're far better off doing them for the PS4.