Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GarryG

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by GarryG » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:05 pm

I did feel a little bit like that as well with the PlayStation, but strangely not with the Dreamcast, which was a whole generation younger?!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:48 pm

One thing that the classic will have over the original hardware is - I presume - an absence of loadtimes.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 am

I would like it if they surprised us and stuck a couple of never before released games on it.

Nintendo did with star fox 2. And I’m sure Sony must have one or two games in the vaults that were finished but never released for what ever reason.

Certainly would drum up even more interest in the unit.

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:27 pm

The Laird wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:42 pm
I have absolutely zero interest in this, couldn't be less excited quite honestly.
RetroBob wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:48 pm
^^^ Same but cool for those who are in to PS1.
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm
Seems pointless when a PS3 can do it anyway. Also PS games have aged very badly and I'm not sure it'll enjoy the mainstream retro appeal of Nintendo and Atari's efforts.
That's a shame the PlayStation 1 is a pretty well accomplished console for what it accomplished during its launch and lifespan during the 90's.
Sokurah wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:44 pm
No thanks. They could at least include more than 20 games, but mostly I'm not interested because of the terrible graphics. I love pixel art, but 1996 polygons don't look so good anymore.

But news about this has been posted twice in this very subforum today, so perhaps if all future comments could be posted in the first one of them, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55245&sid=4855f82bf ... e36304f732 ;)
I see can the posts be merged from this thread into that one so that the replies in this thread would not be lost or is that not possible? Admins can you look into this please?
pratty wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:55 pm
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm
Seems pointless when a PS3 can do it anyway.
I think the main point of these is the novelty and nostalgia of the hardware. It doesn't interest me but it should be cool for the Playstation fans.
While its true that there is novelty and nostalgia and that it may not interest everybody you are correct in stating it is cool for Playstation fans.
HdE wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:59 pm
It's nice that Sony are putting some classic PS1 era games in a self contained package, with two controllers (reportedly.) But I'm not as excited for this as I hoped I'd be when the day inevitably rolled around.

There are some unknown quantities here. The controllers will need to be decent quality, or it's a dealbreaker. And, as somebody else has said here, 20 games is shameful. Sony could double that number fairly easily, I suspect. Even allowing for issues regarding licensing, were talking about SONY, for goodness' sake.

If anyone could make miracles happen with this dinky console format, it'd be them. But at the current price point, it already feels like a lazy cash grab to me.
If Sony finds a way to allow the memory card ports to be used as a data transfer device they could sell a cd based drive that way as an accessory so people can run PS1 discs right into the machine. That would change a lot of things.
fredghostmaster wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:44 pm
No interest in this but would love a Sega Saturn mini...
Cant see Sega listening considering Sega makes games now. However, id love to see this happen so you never know.
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:51 pm
Under a fiver a game is hardly a lazy cash grab. Buy a PS1 and 20 quality games, you could easily blow a lot more than the £90 asking price.

This isn't a disc based system with the problems those incur, and it has HDMI out.

For a certain market, this will have a lot of appeal.

Me? I grew up with 8 and 16 bit systems, so my nostalgia mostly lies there, hence I threw £70 at a SNES mini I've never removed from the delivery packaging, never mind its box. PS1 still feels like a 'new' system to me, but £20 more for those who want that nostalgia kick? I can see it selling, especially as a gift item.
People will buy it due to Metal Gear Solid being on there alone. Not to mention Tekken and other games.

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:35 pm

ALK wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:30 pm
Seems odd they would use the standard controllers over the duelshock ones, maybe they plan on selling those separately?

Bit much for my tastes, I might get one if there's ever an N64 mini so I can have the former rivals side by side. :lol: But yeah, when you consider the price of some of the big PS1 titles have gone up in the years (I sold both Crash and Spyro trilogies for £100 each a couple of years ago for example) and the PS4 only allows streaming of PS1 games (True you could get a PS3 for half the money, but its another huge console taking space) plus the nostalgia for the kids and teens that did grow up with PS1 back in the day, there should be more than a market for it.
Dual Shock Controllers might not be produced anymore so i cant see these ever being sold for the PS1 classic however sony might change their minds if the PS1 classic sells as good as Sony hope.
shiftytigger wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:50 pm
No analogue on controllers may limit what we get but I do so hope its not full of Tomb Raider games when there are so many better titles. Maybe a couple of different versions with different game choices?
I could probably do a list of what I'd like to see but with licensing issues etc they would only be a pipe dream.

Good to see the likes of Tekken 3 getting an outing - the rest will be relative 'classics' and with the likes of Square and Namco on board maybe we will even see Klonoa // Tobal No1 or even all those high price collectors games like Castlevania SOTN , Kula World , Vib Ribbon etc - like the Snes Mini with Earthbound.
Sony could allow PS1 disc support to counter most of this check my post above which shows one ay they could do it.
Matt_B wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:57 pm
I think it looks good. These things sell themselves on their value as objets d'art first and foremost, and it helps that it was a design classic that marked the transition of games consoles between something you'd tuck away into a child's bedroom and that would be proudly put on display in your lounge.

I'd think that 20 games should be plenty too. That's only one less than the SNES Classic managed and, while we're perhaps used to the luxury of being able to dump entire libraries into emulators, it's worth remembering that Sony will be needing to whip out their 90's retro chequebook to licence all these once more. If someone can hack it and allow you to add your own games - and these things are rarely as well locked down as a modern console - that'd all be academic anyway.

Similarly, DualShock controllers would be nice, but they're putting together a package with two of them for under $100 and something has to give. As others have said, they may release them separately, and with the ports seemingly being standard USB ones it may be that you can just plug a modern controller in, or maybe even use a wireless one with the aid of a suitable dongle. Still, we'll have to wait and see on that.
The problem is Sony would ivalidate the warranty and then try to spin it that the system being hacked would encourage piracy.
ALK wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:27 am
If I was to guess a list, it probably be:

Crash Bandicoot 1
Tomb Raider 1 or 2
Final Fantasy VII
Spyro 1
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 2
Crash Team Racing and/or Crash Bash (Party and kart racer covered)
GTA 1 or 2
Wipeout

That's probably most of the ironic PS1 franchises represented, if the NES/SNES Minis are anything to go by they'll hopefully won't fill the list up with sequels. Hopefully like others the rest is filled with those rare pricier games and the odd surprise
I am hoping that Rockstar have at least included the first GTA game or the second on the PS1 mini and given sony full clearence.
HdE wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:51 am
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:51 pm
Under a fiver a game is hardly a lazy cash grab. Buy a PS1 and 20 quality games, you could easily blow a lot more than the £90 asking price.

This isn't a disc based system with the problems those incur, and it has HDMI out.
You could indeed, but I wouldn't bank on most folks thinking about picking one of these up to do that kind of maths on it.

What really hobbles it in my view is the simple fact that there are other ways to play PS1 using modern conveninces like HDMI and without worrying about discs. Even Sony's own Playstation store carries plenty of first gen Playstation games.

I've got a horrible feeling most of the content on this console is going to be culled from the store, to be honest.
THat would limit a lot of the best games being included lets hope Sony hasnt done that.
kiwimike wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 am
I'm certainly keen. I love these mini machines with built in games. Depending on the games, and local price I will most likely preorder one of these. Some of the games being thrown around so far are only theories, but if what you expect are onboard, yes, sounds good.

As mentioned, HDMI along with no cheap CD drive to burn out adds to the interest for me :)

Yep, it's popped up with a local cost now- $169 in NZ. So preordered as thought that was okay. Had a voucher for the store so knocked $20 off. Thought I may as well as if it wasn't for me, I could certainly sell it for face value as it will be pretty sought after I think, and preordering for the xmas rush is for the best
Sony could bring out an accesorie that allows a cd drive to be added but lets wait and see how well this sells first and if the PS1 classic can sell better than sony hopes.

GAZBEROTTEN

Post by GAZBEROTTEN » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Kaptain_Von wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:08 am
I loved the Mini NES, the SNES and Commodore 64 but for some reason cannot work up the enthusiasm for this one. It might be that I have ~900 PS1 games and still have an original Playstation and PSOne set up along with a PS2 and PS3 that can all run the games so it becomes a bit pointless owning a mini. However, I can see the attraction for people who never owned the original as even to buy an priginal and twenty games from eBay, charity shops or thrift stores would probably cost more than the asking price.

N64 mini, Saturn mini or Dreamcast mini then I'm definitely in :D
kiwimike wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:11 pm
You know, stopped collecting ages ago, donated my old machines to a tech museum. Now thanks to these cute mini systems appearing I just realised I'm a damn collector again!
bensonrad wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:53 pm
I still have around 3 PS1s in my loft and PS2s, plus all the games I ever really wanted on the system, so won't be buying this. Nice for perhaps the younger generation of kids though. I am sure you can probably pick up an original job lot off ebay for less with some decent games. I guess the games list will determine if its worth it.
GarryG wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:09 pm
I know some people will disagree, and that's fine, but to me a PlayStation (I assume this is a PlayStation emulator and not specifically a PS1 emulator :wink: ) is just an old system and still not a 'Retro' system.

I suppose it just depends on your age, but I still have two original PlayStations and a PS1 (with the bolt on screen) along with lots of games. So see no point in this.
SJ_Sathanas wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:37 pm
bensonrad wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:53 pm
I still have around 3 PS1s in my loft and PS2s, plus all the games I ever really wanted on the system, so won't be buying this. Nice for perhaps the younger generation of kids though. I am sure you can probably pick up an original job lot off ebay for less with some decent games. I guess the games list will determine if its worth it.
I can't really see younger people giving a damn about the original Gran Turismo or Tekken 3 though. I like them, because nostalgia, but ultimately they're just very primitive versions of what people have now.
DrDpad wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:47 pm
I do enjoy the mini consoles as a novelty and I certainly won't say no to Sony getting in on the action. I'm a bit hesitant that they've only announced 5 games though. The rest will influence whether I fork out for one or not. Right now I'm not sold on the current 5. Not that they're bad games at all, but not enough for me to spend £90 on.
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:00 pm
My PS2 plays PS1 games, my hacked Vita plays PS1 games currently have Time Gal and Echo Night on my Vita through Retro Arch.

I have no interest in playing badly aged PS1 games. I’m certain the games included will be the likes of Tekken, Ridge Racer, Wipe Out, Resident Evil 1, possibly Final Fantasy VII, a token sports games, Grand Theft Auto and Destruction Derby.

The casuals and current gem gamers it’s aimed at won’t bother as they have graphically superior sequels on PS4.

They won’t include games like Skull Monkeys, Rapid Reload, Vandal Hearts or Parasite Eve for the hardcore players.

eople on here will stick to badly emulated PS1 games on their cheap Chinese tablets they paid £30 for!

Not really sure who this is aimed at?
Megamixer wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:05 pm
I'm interested but only if it comes with some serious value i.e. games that are otherwise rare or very expensive to buy. Wild Arms was a good start because that's a £20-£30 game for the PAL version. Let's see what the rest are! Unfortunately it will probably be mainstream, popular stuff that people will recognise so probably not stuff like Tombi or Symphony of the Night...

The other obstacle is that if the included games can be cherry-picked for a few quid apiece from PSN for my PS3, PS4 or Vita then there's no real point in this.
Sega_MegaDive wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:25 pm
Video games lost their appeal for me once the Playstation arrived. I bought a Playstation around 1997/98 and sold it about a year later because I couldnt get into any of the games.
GarryG wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:00 pm
I probably still prefer older-style game-play, but some people wrote off the PlayStation to quickly IMO.

Saga_MegaDive - Did you try games like, Wild Nine, Heart of Darkness, abe's oddysee/exoddus, or on import Umihara Kawase Shun for 2D - 2.5D platformers and still not like them? Or if you like SHMUPS: DoDonPachi, Gradius Gaiden, or the Raiden games... amongst many others!

It wasn't all 3D even although that's what most people seem to remember.
kiwimike wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:29 am
I can see who this is aimed at. Considering the PS1 was ridiculously popular in it's day, and kids bought up on this system will be at a nostalgic age, like we all get with the systems of our youth...I can see this being popular with casual gamers of the age, who see the cute mini style as a collectable, with a good group of games built in. Definitely not aimed at the hardcore, who are likely to have the original and games or emulators anyway. And considering how big the PS was, that would be a big casual gamer market.
And then there are some that have started collecting all these mini systems/flashbacks, will also look to pick this up. :)
SpecChum81 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:16 pm
Is there a full list of launch titles yet?

On the one hand, this is really good as not only will bring people back to the PS1, but I also hope it will introduce younger folk to the PS1 as it did have some truly amazing games!

GTA, Discworld II, Abe's Oddysee and Theme Hospital are still particular favourites of mine.

Would I buy it? Probably not, as my PS1 is still in perfect working order and with places like CEX and Cash Converters you can normally find a pretty good selection of games for not much more than around £1 or £2 each.

Though having said that, it would be good to have the games all in one place, and if they were to keep adding to the list over time then perhaps my arm could be twisted.

Either way, I look forward to finding out more info...
kebabinho wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm
Sega_megadrive - same for me, i lost interest completely. gaming went from being something i had, to mass market.

it felt like the release of the PS1 was the turning point from bedrooms coders, and a community to big business and teams (probably wasn't but that's how it has always felt to me)
A fantastic ammount of replies in this thread so i am going to respond with the rest by asking you all if you would also welcome a PS2 Classic in the future.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:59 pm

silvergunner wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 am
I would like it if they surprised us and stuck a couple of never before released games on it.
Like 'Thrill kill'?
GAZBEROTTEN wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:42 pm
i am going to respond with the rest by asking you all if you would also welcome a PS2 Classic in the future...
My answer would be exactly the same as for the PlayStation/PS1. I still have a fat and thin PS2 with pretty much all the games I wanted.
The fat one has an internal hard drive and is soft modded.

So, no, not really interested. Unless it contained all the thing I just couldn't (legally) get (or afford).
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:47 pm

I think I'd like a PS2 Mini but it would need about 200 games to cover everything I might want!

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:18 pm

GarryG wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:59 pm
silvergunner wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 am
Like 'Thrill kill'?

Yeah why not. The only things missing were the endings.

Question is will they put much adult rated stuff on it. Even if most adult rated games from the day are soft as censored compared to today’s standards.

tachi

Post by tachi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:12 pm

When I first saw the news I was giddy with excitement and that lasted until I read that it was 20 games. It's just not worth it when most people who loved psx have (or can obtain) most of the expected games via later consoles or have the original disk.
If it was a platform that I could buy and download ps1/2 games onto (ala steam) I'd be on it like Sonic but its just pretty pointless.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:03 am

PS2 seems doubtful to me, unless the PS1 Mini sells like crazy. It wasnt even that long since they stopped making them and just this month, they discontinued the repair service for PS2. Even then, what do you pick out of the over 2500 games that were released for it? Sure, a good deal of that is shovelware but for certain there will be a bunch of games people will be like "Why did you not you pick this game?!?" no matter what 20 PS2 titles you pick...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:58 am

tachi wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:12 pm
When I first saw the news I was giddy with excitement and that lasted until I read that it was 20 games. It's just not worth it when most people who loved psx have (or can obtain) most of the expected games via later consoles or have the original disk.
If it was a platform that I could buy and download ps1/2 games onto (ala steam) I'd be on it like Sonic but its just pretty pointless.
This is also true of the NES and SNES minis and people snapped those up.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:47 am

I think there is little doubt a PS2 Mini is a big seller of the future...a little early for it yet IMO, but definitely in a few years

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:15 am

I doubt they will make a CD drive add-on officially available as A.it would kind of go against the whole 'mini' thing (you may as well just have a slimline PS one) and B. It would mean less sales from the Sony store.

This machine - like the others before - will be targetted at the MAINSTREAM audience who would like a bit of a nostalgia blast. It's unlikely they will include hard to get obscure titles or unreleased games over tried and tested games that are A.cheap to acquire B.the games people remember playing all those years ago.

Yes Nintendo did include Starfox 2, but that was very much the exception to the rule, and it does have the Starfox moniker to make it appeal to others. I would also suspect that if Sony had any previously unreleased games in a saleable condition, they would already have been available through the Sony online games store. We live in hope though, and they may get one available just to encourage purchasers to register for the online store, or it may be that some of the games included in the 20 official titles will need to be downloaded first.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:22 am

As for value for money; you're getting a machine plus controllers plus 20 games for about £100. In this day and age, that really is not a lot of money and good value at around a fiver a game (with a 'free' machine). Obviously it depends on what games are there as to whether you would want it, but enough will to make it a sellout.

PS2 mini is inevitable, but Sony are no fools and - just like with the NES/SNES - know that to get the most from the PS One mini-market they have to release that first. Unless the PSO bombs (which it won't) PS2 will come next year.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"