Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Kaptain_Von

Re: Sony announces Playstation 1 Classic

Post by Kaptain_Von » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:08 am

I loved the Mini NES, the SNES and Commodore 64 but for some reason cannot work up the enthusiasm for this one. It might be that I have ~900 PS1 games and still have an original Playstation and PSOne set up along with a PS2 and PS3 that can all run the games so it becomes a bit pointless owning a mini. However, I can see the attraction for people who never owned the original as even to buy an priginal and twenty games from eBay, charity shops or thrift stores would probably cost more than the asking price.

N64 mini, Saturn mini or Dreamcast mini then I'm definitely in :D
Cue the music, fade to black...
----------------------------------------------------------
http://kaptainskonfessions.blogspot.com/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:11 pm

You know, stopped collecting ages ago, donated my old machines to a tech museum. Now thanks to these cute mini systems appearing I just realised I'm a damn collector again!

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:53 pm

I still have around 3 PS1s in my loft and PS2s, plus all the games I ever really wanted on the system, so won't be buying this. Nice for perhaps the younger generation of kids though. I am sure you can probably pick up an original job lot off ebay for less with some decent games. I guess the games list will determine if its worth it.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:09 pm

I know some people will disagree, and that's fine, but to me a PlayStation (I assume this is a PlayStation emulator and not specifically a PS1 emulator :wink: ) is just an old system and still not a 'Retro' system.

I suppose it just depends on your age, but I still have two original PlayStations and a PS1 (with the bolt on screen) along with lots of games. So see no point in this.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:37 pm

bensonrad wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:53 pm
I still have around 3 PS1s in my loft and PS2s, plus all the games I ever really wanted on the system, so won't be buying this. Nice for perhaps the younger generation of kids though. I am sure you can probably pick up an original job lot off ebay for less with some decent games. I guess the games list will determine if its worth it.
I can't really see younger people giving a damn about the original Gran Turismo or Tekken 3 though. I like them, because nostalgia, but ultimately they're just very primitive versions of what people have now.

DrDpad

Post by DrDpad » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:47 pm

I do enjoy the mini consoles as a novelty and I certainly won't say no to Sony getting in on the action. I'm a bit hesitant that they've only announced 5 games though. The rest will influence whether I fork out for one or not. Right now I'm not sold on the current 5. Not that they're bad games at all, but not enough for me to spend £90 on.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:18 pm

DrDpad wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:47 pm
I do enjoy the mini consoles as a novelty and I certainly won't say no to Sony getting in on the action. I'm a bit hesitant that they've only announced 5 games though. The rest will influence whether I fork out for one or not. Right now I'm not sold on the current 5. Not that they're bad games at all, but not enough for me to spend £90 on.
That's a fair point. I love these Mini consoles, with HDMI and built in games, but usually you know a line up of games up front. I am expecting certain games to be on it, and if not, I will cancel my preorder. I have a gut feeling these will be a massive seller for the average nostalgic gamer

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:00 pm

My PS2 plays PS1 games, my hacked Vita plays PS1 games currently have Time Gal and Echo Night on my Vita through Retro Arch.

I have no interest in playing badly aged PS1 games. I’m certain the games included will be the likes of Tekken, Ridge Racer, Wipe Out, Resident Evil 1, possibly Final Fantasy VII, a token sports games, Grand Theft Auto and Destruction Derby.

The casuals and current gem gamers it’s aimed at won’t bother as they have graphically superior sequels on PS4.

They won’t include games like Skull Monkeys, Rapid Reload, Vandal Hearts or Parasite Eve for the hardcore players.

eople on here will stick to badly emulated PS1 games on their cheap Chinese tablets they paid £30 for!

Not really sure who this is aimed at?
Last edited by Shinobi on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:05 pm

I'm interested but only if it comes with some serious value i.e. games that are otherwise rare or very expensive to buy. Wild Arms was a good start because that's a £20-£30 game for the PAL version. Let's see what the rest are! Unfortunately it will probably be mainstream, popular stuff that people will recognise so probably not stuff like Tombi or Symphony of the Night...

The other obstacle is that if the included games can be cherry-picked for a few quid apiece from PSN for my PS3, PS4 or Vita then there's no real point in this.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:25 pm

Video games lost their appeal for me once the Playstation arrived. I bought a Playstation around 1997/98 and sold it about a year later because I couldnt get into any of the games.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:00 pm

I probably still prefer older-style game-play, but some people wrote off the PlayStation to quickly IMO.

Saga_MegaDive - Did you try games like, Wild Nine, Heart of Darkness, abe's oddysee/exoddus, or on import Umihara Kawase Shun for 2D - 2.5D platformers and still not like them? Or if you like SHMUPS: DoDonPachi, Gradius Gaiden, or the Raiden games... amongst many others!

It wasn't all 3D even although that's what most people seem to remember.
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:29 am

I can see who this is aimed at. Considering the PS1 was ridiculously popular in it's day, and kids bought up on this system will be at a nostalgic age, like we all get with the systems of our youth...I can see this being popular with casual gamers of the age, who see the cute mini style as a collectable, with a good group of games built in. Definitely not aimed at the hardcore, who are likely to have the original and games or emulators anyway. And considering how big the PS was, that would be a big casual gamer market.
And then there are some that have started collecting all these mini systems/flashbacks, will also look to pick this up. :)

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:16 pm

Is there a full list of launch titles yet?

On the one hand, this is really good as not only will bring people back to the PS1, but I also hope it will introduce younger folk to the PS1 as it did have some truly amazing games!

GTA, Discworld II, Abe's Oddysee and Theme Hospital are still particular favourites of mine.

Would I buy it? Probably not, as my PS1 is still in perfect working order and with places like CEX and Cash Converters you can normally find a pretty good selection of games for not much more than around £1 or £2 each.

Though having said that, it would be good to have the games all in one place, and if they were to keep adding to the list over time then perhaps my arm could be twisted.

Either way, I look forward to finding out more info...
Press Play On Tape

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:15 pm

GarryG wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:00 pm
I probably still prefer older-style game-play, but some people wrote off the PlayStation to quickly IMO.

Saga_MegaDive - Did you try games like, Wild Nine, Heart of Darkness, abe's oddysee/exoddus, or on import Umihara Kawase Shun for 2D - 2.5D platformers and still not like them? Or if you like SHMUPS: DoDonPachi, Gradius Gaiden, or the Raiden games... amongst many others!

It wasn't all 3D even although that's what most people seem to remember.
I never played any of those games apart from abes oddysee and didnt like it. I bought Final Fantasy and hated that too. Not saying it wasnt a great console in its own right. Just wasnt for me.

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm

Sega_megadrive - same for me, i lost interest completely. gaming went from being something i had, to mass market.

it felt like the release of the PS1 was the turning point from bedrooms coders, and a community to big business and teams (probably wasn't but that's how it has always felt to me)