Arcade Imperfect ... another retro-gaming book by Jerry Ellis!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Crusty Starfish

Re: Arcade Imperfect ... another retro-gaming book by Jerry Ellis!

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Do you think he will buy a copy? :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:46 am

Glad you got it sorted, i 'presumed' you had asked permission before. Not asking permission then airbrushing his name out was bad though !

Cant wait for the book though

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:54 am

That's the thing, I genuinely didn't know it was Ste's work, and I had absolutely no idea that the little symbol at the top was his sig - I just thought it was part of Capcom's original Ghosts 'n Goblins title from 30+ years ago, and since I was just using the same writing style to form the title of my new book, it never occurred to me to restore it once I'd completed the work. The moment I found out it was Ste's loading screen and his sig, I offered to reinstate the sig straight away and to pay him for using the cover, but he declined, which I accepted immediately without question. So while I appreciate Ste's supporters believe what I did was morally wrong, it's important that they know I had no idea it was as such, and the instant I found out that it was, I did everything I possibly could to fix the issue. I've apologised unreservedly to Ste and everyone else who was angered by my use of the image, but it was a genuine misunderstanding and there was certainly no ill intent. :)

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:54 am

That's a shame, it's one of my favourite loading screens (c64). But as it's his work, he's decision to pull it is fair enough
c64 > spectrum 48k

kaiserpc

Post by kaiserpc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Just received my zzap64! annual in the post ... mmmm ... don't think ste is going to be very happy with the back cover then
c64 > spectrum 48k

jerellis1

Post by jerellis1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:18 am

:oops:

Yep, well, there really wasn't anything I could do about that unfortunately, due to the timing - I'm sure he'll realise that if / when he gets his hands on a copy. It's not as though it actually benefits me in any way whatsoever having it there now. And at least he can rest assured that anyone who clicks through to the Golem Books website will find that the image is gone already, and I'm pretty sure I've made it as clear as could be that it was a genuine misunderstanding in the first place, for which I've apologised over and over again, and that I definitely won't be using the image in any way now. If all that's not enough and he still wants to put the boot in again, well, that's up to him I guess, but I really hope he'll be okay about it after making his point loud and clear last week, and that we can all just move on from it now.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:51 pm

Jerry ‘game of the film’ is one of my favourite gaming books and your new book will be a day one purchase.

I’m not familiar with Ste, I always assumed it was Chris Butler who did the loading screen. Sir Arthur, Ilklatuu the gate keeper the gorilla looking boss from stage 2 etc are all Capcom property so he can’t really claim ownership of the characters. The Famicom cart has very similar art to his loading screen but also featured Princess Prin Prin

I read his blog and he’s obviously unhappy, but surely he could have spoken to you in private, and asked you politely not to use it.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:57 am

I'm happy with the timing so the original cover's seen print on the Zzap annual.

But the book will be great regardless!

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Yeah I think the reaction has been a bit over the top.

One he doesn’t own the rights but I still get why he would be upset.

But let’s think about it. Anyone who is buying the book would most likely of known about the origins of that image and not sat there thinking about how much money that image is making.