Backwards Compatability

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Havantgottaclue

Re: Backwards Compatability

Post by Havantgottaclue » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Given that the next gen consoles are going to be sporting very similar CPU/GPU architecture to the current gen, I'd say what could be more interesting is "forwards compatibility".

I'm sure this was something that was mentioned on one of Digital Foundry's videos shortly after the announcement of next-gen machines.

Something like Sekiro looks to me to be quite compromised on current gen consoles - poor frame rate/frame pacing is a real bane with a game like that, where precise timing is needed. If the next gen machines could rectify that with a simple patch, it could really increase the longevity of games on console platforms.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:40 pm
Given that the next gen consoles are going to be sporting very similar CPU/GPU architecture to the current gen, I'd say what could be more interesting is "forwards compatibility".

I'm sure this was something that was mentioned on one of Digital Foundry's videos shortly after the announcement of next-gen machines.

Something like Sekiro looks to me to be quite compromised on current gen consoles - poor frame rate/frame pacing is a real bane with a game like that, where precise timing is needed. If the next gen machines could rectify that with a simple patch, it could really increase the longevity of games on console platforms.
Funniliey enough that does acctually already happen, some games come ready with a patch for the Xbox one x so that they utilize the machines higher power and I think a similar thing happens with the playstation machines.
Some 360 games patch too, enhancing textures for the most part and occasionally smoothing some areas in performance.
Watching you sleep since 1990

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:04 am

Yes, absolutely right. Thankfully I kept a lot of my 360 games around and the improvement with games like RDR on the X1X is quite something. In particular the amount of detail resolved at distance makes the game look far better.

I just wonder whether what’s going on now is that developers are already considering the forwards compatibility potential. I was watching a Digital Foundry video yesterday (I watch more or less all of their videos!) and the new Wolfenstein game averages around 40FPS in full 4K mode. It’s all nicely set up to take advantage of the increased power next gen, which would surely enable such a game to reach 60FPS.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:29 am

Yep, although I wouldn't put it past developers to insist on making new games so graphically demanding that they'll still be capped at 30.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:16 am

Ray-tracing seems a likely culprit for that. Haven’t tried it out myself though - tempting though it is to try out a fancy new tech, I’m not certain the RTX cards are a great deal at present. Seems like the tech needs to mature a bit and developers need the chance to get used to it.

On the subject of 360 back compat, it is a shame that the programme has now ended, but it has still been remarkable. Shame that my Cave shooters remain incompatible - I’d really like to see Mushihimesama Futari come to another platform now that my 360 is in the loft. With ESP.ra.de coming to Switch, maybe there is the hope of more to follow...?