top 12 martial arts games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retro collector

top 12 martial arts games

Post by retro collector » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:06 pm

12. Budokan: The Martial Spirit
11. Best of the best
10. Vigilante
9. Shaolin’s Road
8. Dragon the Bruce Lee story
7. The Way of the exploding fist
6. Shinobi
5. Shadow Warriors
4. Street Fighter 2
3. Mortal Kombat
2. Final Fight
1. Double Dragon

Sephiroth81

Re: top 12 martial arts games

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:14 pm

retro collector wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:06 pm

12. Budokan: The Martial Spirit
11. Best of the best
10. Vigilante
9. Shaolin’s Road
8. Dragon the Bruce Lee story
7. The Way of the exploding fist
6. Shinobi
5. Shadow Warriors
4. Street Fighter 2
3. Mortal Kombat
2. Final Fight
1. Double Dragon
No International Karate +? This is an outrage. Its like Way of the Exploding Fist on steroids (in a good way!)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:47 pm

WOTEF gets into any list, as does IK+ (Both C64 natch). No fireballs, no 6 button multi-combo moves, just 1 stick with 1 button and your own skill.

Others include Saboteur (speccy), Kung Fu Master (arcade and c64).
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:59 pm

How can you even do such a list without Streets of Rage 2? :shock:

retro collector

Post by retro collector » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:42 pm

After reading the article, he mentions IK+ with way of the exploding fist and he put in Vigilante over Kung fu master because they are pretty much the same game and Final FIght over streets of rage, again pretty similar. But hey Double Dragons number 1 and rightly so.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:55 pm

1 & 2 I agree, the rest, no way.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Where is Kung-Fu Kid on the C16?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:34 pm

I agree with Final Fight, Shinobi and Shadow Warriors.

Fist is just a rip off, of Karate Champ, surely Yie Ar Kung Fu would be more worthy? As you fight Women, a Ninja and a Genie, also the first game to feature women opponents.

Double Dragon Advance or Combatribes or the pinicle of the Double Dragon series. I actually think the DD prequel Renegade is a better game.

Budoken is the worst fighting game ever made, choose the right fighting style and just use the move over and over again. Best of the Best awful!

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo is considered the best game by high level tournament players.

No Punisher, Golden Axe 2, AVP, Bruce Lee C64, Samurai Showdown, Or any SNK games. I liked the C16 International Karate the fighters looked like Wooden Children
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:35 pm

It’s like putting Sega Colloseum on the list as it used holograms of real people, and it looked impressive
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

retro collector

Post by retro collector » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:01 pm

I actually left a coment on the facebook group post about streets of rage and he said he will add it as joint number 2 with final fight lol

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:23 am

For me Renegade should be on the list as it's equal to DD. In fact with 1 player, it's better. Much more gritty and violent.

Also Shadow Dancer is better than the original Shinobi.

As for WOTEF being a copy of Karate Champ; same could be said of all 2d one-on-one fighters. But although Fist is VERY similar, it is also a much, much better game. As far as one button/one stick fighters go, only IK+ has ever competed against it. Which is better? Well Fist is a more sedate, strategic game whilst IK+ is multiplayer mayhem and carnage. IK+ shades it in 1 player, but I never managed to get a two player knockdown with the double facekick.

I'd also suggest TMNT arcade, as that was an awesome multi-player scrolling fighter.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:21 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:23 am
As for WOTEF being a copy of Karate Champ; same could be said of all 2d one-on-one fighters. But although Fist is VERY similar, it is also a much, much better game. As far as one button/one stick fighters go, only IK+ has ever competed against it. Which is better? Well Fist is a more sedate, strategic game whilst IK+ is multiplayer mayhem and carnage. IK+ shades it in 1 player, but I never managed to get a two player knockdown with the double facekick.
I'm not sure I'd agree that Fist is better than Karate Champ. Comparing C64 Fist to arcade Karate Champ, I'd put them on a par. Karate Champ really is fantastic once you take the time to learn the controls (as with Fist really) and have a similarly matched opponent. As a one player game, I'd even suggest Karate Champ is better, thanks to the bonus stages not present in Fist. If we're comparing the 8 bit versions though, Karate Champ wasn't up to much, the C64 version is nowhere near as good as Fist on the same system.

IK+ possibly offers more fun, but isn't quite the same test of skill for 1 on 1 as the CPU player brings a random element in instead of being a true test against your opponent. It's potentially the better game overall though. It's certainly the slickest of the 8 bit fighters. I have managed the double kick thing, though more by luck than intent.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:50 pm

Not sure I can pull out 12 but Fist is still great and super playable. IK+ is fun for a minute but gets very repetitive for me and I absolutely hate the minigame in it.

Final Fight impressed the hell out of me in the 80s and it is good but it's too much of a credit feeder. Punisher is my favourite Capcom fighter.

Renegade on the Speccy is still brilliant. Double Dragon will always have a place in my heart (coin op not Speccy). Shinobi's final chapter ruins the game. Vigilante is really good but I need to play more of it.

Mortal Kombat XL might be the best though. There's so much in it, it looks gorgeous and it's a ton of fun to play.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:58 pm

Ye Ar Kung Fu
Way Of The Exploding Fist
Budokan

I remember those with particular fondness! :D
Press Play On Tape

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:25 pm

SpecChum81 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:58 pm
Ye Ar Kung Fu
Way Of The Exploding Fist
Budokan

I remember those with particular fondness! :D
Yie Ar was great fun (iirc C64 was best as it had all the badies inc the brillo Chain) but most of the time was spent jump across the screen and mashing the stick; there didn't seem much strategy to it like there was with Fist. Still great fun though.

Nobody else mention Saboteur yet? Should still count as martial arts as you were a ninja and used shuriken. In fact the only game I know of that deducted points for killing guard dogs - even though they would still attack you!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"