Emuparadise Shuts Up Shop

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

pratty

Re: Emuparadise Shuts Up Shop

Post by pratty » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:42 am

psj3809 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:31 pm
Yeah totally agree. Find it frustrating though i cant 'legally' buy say some old gameboy games for my phone. Love the way Sega release old classics (Actually free but you pay a one off price to get rid of adverts) on iOS, would love to buy a proper version of say Super Mario Land (GB) for my phone. Nintendo would make a ton. But i'll just have to use emulators. I want to buy these games 'legally' but on my device of choice i cant. Obviously up to Nintendo but they could make a fortune
As Matt reminded us Nintendo are still in the hardware business as much as the software. Nothing wrong with wishing out loud of course, but it's not a new situation, if your device of choice back in the day was a Gamegear, then you couldn't play Gameboy games on it, and we were ok with that.

We were also ok with carrying our Gameboys in our bags or even pockets back then, so why not now? Not saying you're saying this but often when people complain about the lack of ports and backwards compatability they act as if Nintendo or whoever have robbed them of their old hardware and are holding the favourite games of their youth to ransom, which is obviously not the case.

Clearly the Mario runner game is Nintendo compromising to explore the mobile market, and to be fair, it's surely better they develop a new shiny Mario game made specififcally for the platform in mind.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:54 am

I get your point and of course Nintendo want you to buy their hardware to play their games. But in todays day and age i personally think thats quite restrictive.

But other companies do that (eg they create games straight for PSX rather than X Box etc) so yeah thats kinda the way it is. I'll just have to stick to emulators on my device, shame the official Nintendo games are pretty crap (Mario runner game, that ridiculous game they initially released on iOS - forget the name). I might have been the wrong customer as i cant stand runner games, love platformers (which work well on ios) so i wasnt a fan of that game at all

Dont blame them closing down emulation websites but its a bit like online movies, just impossible to stop, it'll go from one site to the next

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:39 am

Yeah, and the official Apple apps for Android are pretty crap too. It's as though these companies just make things for other platforms to keep their brand out there and tempt people over to their platforms so they can have more of the good stuff.

For what it's worth, I think that Nintendo can be fairly held to the same standard as Sony and Microsoft, who both offer subscription services where you get access to 200+ games from all generations of their hardware. The 29 NES games you get with their online service now might be an improvement over nothing, but they've got a way to go yet.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:58 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:39 am
For what it's worth, I think that Nintendo can be fairly held to the same standard as Sony and Microsoft, who both offer subscription services where you get access to 200+ games from all generations of their hardware. The 29 NES games you get with their online service now might be an improvement over nothing, but they've got a way to go yet.
To be fair though Switch online is what? About a third of PSN Plus and Xbox Live Gold? So I wouldn't hold them to the exact same standard without charging the same amount.

I think Nintendo has a different vision for their service, obviously it has a much more retro vibe, especially with the NES Joycon things. Ideally I think they'd like players to be invested in the service enough to pick up the NES controllers and enjoy a more 'retro' experience with hardware aswell. Which makes me think current games on the service will be unlikely, and that we can expect the SNES games (and controllers) only once the NES stuff has driven sales as far as it can.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Yeah, it's cheap and I'd expect prices would have to rise if they offered a larger and more varied selection. I get that it's a different concept to that of Sony and Microsoft too, and modern games needn't be a part of it. However, at the same time, it's their only retro offering on the Switch bar a few individual remakes, leaving most of their legacy unavailable.

Meanwhile, the Wii and Wii U are dead and the 3DS surely doesn't have much left in it, so even though the Virtual Console is still open for business, it's a lot less than ideal, aside from the now outdated business model of buying individual games locked to a single system.

Ultimately, I'd just like to see them get the bulk of their games back out there, where licensing permits, and I don't mind paying for them.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:57 pm

Soulja Boy has apparently had 'his' console business shut down. What did he really expect? Such a surreal story.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:29 pm

Soulja Boy? Del Boy seems a more appropriate moniker for someone who describes himself as a 'musician and entrepeneur' while selling overpriced knock off tat.

In my head, I'm picturing someone from Nintendo going round and slapping him with a cease and desist. Right in the mouth.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:10 pm

Soulja Boy isn’t he the twonk who had a one hit years ago? Thought he’d overdosed, died or became A subsistence FARMER HAVING RENOUNCED MODERN SOCIETY!!!
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:47 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:10 pm
Soulja Boy isn’t he the twonk who had a one hit years ago?
Yeah that's the guy. I can actually name more MC Hammer songs that Soulja Boy songs.
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:29 pm
Soulja Boy? Del Boy seems a more appropriate moniker for someone who describes himself as a 'musician and entrepeneur' while selling overpriced knock off tat.

In my head, I'm picturing someone from Nintendo going round and slapping him with a cease and desist. Right in the mouth.
He actually tweeted a few days ago that Nintendo couldn't/wouldn't do anything to him? :roll:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:59 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:47 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:10 pm
Soulja Boy isn’t he the twonk who had a one hit years ago?
Yeah that's the guy. I can actually name more MC Hammer songs that Soulja Boy songs.
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:29 pm

He actually tweeted a few days ago that Nintendo couldn't/wouldn't do anything to him? :roll:
At least MC Hammer had his cartoon with his talking trainers. Suppose he gets his 5 minutes of Fame. A slight variation on the Vanilla Ice song “Nintendo cooked Soulja Boy like a pound of bacon”
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:37 pm

I don't think he was quite a one hit wonder, but his ability to get into the charts certainly took a dive a few years back.

He must have still had enough fans prepared to by overpriced Chinese tat with his brand slapped on it though, and just didn't realize that you can't do that with their games consoles because of the differing copyright laws.

Still, it's got his name back into circulation if nothing else. Maybe he was just hoping to stir up some controversy in the hope of having a future hit on the back of it? Well, it's either that or he's got a massive ego and is incapable of listening to good advice. Quite possibly, it's a bit of both.

buddy1983

Post by buddy1983 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:32 pm

I'd never heard of this guy until these last couple of weeks, quite frankly looking forward to never hearing about him again :lol: