The first games you completed.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: The first games you completed.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:14 pm

HdE wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:50 am
I think the first game I ever completed was Back to the Future on the ZX Spectrum. I remember being reaally pleased with myself until it dawned on me how easy the game actually was.
I'm more surprised that you wanted to complete it rather than the fact it was easy, it's such a terrible game. I don't think I even bothered copying it when someone loaned it to me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:45 pm

Bruce Lee or Beach Head on the Speccy I guess.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:09 pm

OMG! Ye Ar Kung Fu on 464! Corner yourself and your opponent would be too close to actually hit you. Total exploit, obvs, so doesn't really count.

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:42 pm

HdE wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:56 pm
Arnie wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:06 pm
As far as I can remember that would be Monty is Innocent on the Spectrum, not the best of Monty games but the only one I completed.
Isn't that the one where you play as a weasel or something? And you have to bust Monty out of jail - except your player character keeps getting hidden behind the foreground graphics?
Yep you got it. You watch the pair run in to the sunset in the end. A spectrum exclusive I believe.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:53 am

I think it was Super Mario Land on the Original Gameboy, I still play that now and can complete it with only using a couple of lives, great game

HdE

Post by HdE » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:48 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:14 pm
I'm more surprised that you wanted to complete it rather than the fact it was easy, it's such a terrible game. I don't think I even bothered copying it when someone loaned it to me.
In my defense, I was young, and it was a rainy afternoon. It was that or do maths homework, I think.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:09 am

Great question! I remember it well, it was Super Mario Land, I was on a school trip to France, maybe age 10 or 11, playing in bed under the covers with a Light Boy (because it was after lights out!). I remember finish the game and feeling elated - the end game music is incredible.

These days I can blast through that game in 25 mins, absolutely love it.

Next game after that was Sonic 1 on the Master System.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:28 am

Probably Bruce Lee

That first time when you see all the screens and then get to the end was a great moment. Its still a classic despite being so easy and you remember all the rooms but its one of those few games you like to go back to complete time and time again.

Remember being stuck on the 'third screen' not knowing what to do. FINALLY i went back to the 2nd screen and realised there was now an exit at the bottom of the screen (ahem).

Classic game

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:02 pm

The game I am most proud of completing was Citadel on the BBC Micro. It seemed like it was really hard but once you knew what to do it was do-able. I only found 2 of the 3 crowns though.

The first game was Tutankamen on Intellivision. Although I'm not sure you could really complete it though because it looped. I managed 2 loops

faulty

Post by faulty » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:17 pm

It was either Sabatour or Treasure island dizzy I can't remember which.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Probably Ocarina Of Time, I don't think I completed anything before then. As a child games were just something I'd dabble with until I lost enough times and I'd move on to something else. Then I 'd come back to a game and make a little more progress, before getting stuck again, but I had fun. And half the games I played were games at friend's houses so I couldn't play them in their entireity.
RichPT wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:02 pm
The game I am most proud of completing was Citadel on the BBC Micro. It seemed like it was really hard but once you knew what to do it was do-able. I only found 2 of the 3 crowns though.
I found that quite difficult and didn't get close to finishing it, but I enjoyed it regardless.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:24 am

Tough one to recall.

Without using pokes and cheats it’s probably Robocop on the CPC.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:42 am

Some of you have terrific memories (both in terms of nostalgia, but also your ability to recall such prehistoric events)! :D

Had a couple of home computers like the Amiga and C64 so must have got to a few ending screens that weren't overly memorable during the 80s in early years. First home console was a SNES though, the SFII pack, and definitely remember completing the game with all 8 of the characters and watching the comical conclusions, due to some of the absurd stereotypes. :mrgreen:

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 am

pratty wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:31 pm
RichPT wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:02 pm
I found that quite difficult and didn't get close to finishing it, but I enjoyed it regardless.
Yes it was a good game. Did you play Palace of Magic? It was the pseudo-sequel but was a bit easier. There was a genuine Citadel 2 but it I'm pretty sure the publisher just asked a random programmer to make a sequel for marketing reasons. That's what it seemed like anyway.

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:19 am

Roland on the Ropes on the CPC. When you finish level 4, you get to choose your amount of enemies after that...