The first games you completed.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SJ_Sathanas

The first games you completed.

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:54 am

What are the first games you can remember completing? My first machine was a cpc464 but most of the games were too abstract, complicated or simply broken. I may have finished Ghostbusters but I really can't remember.

The first games I can remember for sure were on the Master System and I think the very first game I finished wss Altered Beast. May have been Alex Kidd in Miracle World but I got stuck in the spikey swimming section of a castle for ages. The other game I can recall for sure was BattleOutrun, which I didn't even like all that much...

Antiriad2097

Re: The first games you completed.

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:11 am

Grail on the Oric 1 is the first I remember, mostly because I then realised it wasn't very good at randomly generating levels, so it was always the same the first time it was loaded and once you knew, it could be completed within a couple of moves. Subsequent games took longer, being more random.

When I started gaming, most games couldn't be 'completed' (except for text adventures), they were high score challenges that just kept going, or would have some sort of series of levels/gameplay that would loop (e.g. the Trek style games).

If we count stuff like the really simple noughts and crosses, battleships or Connect 4, then it would probably be one of those. My mate was the first person I knew to own a computer (a TI-99/4a), and it had a decent Connect 4 on cartridge.

Or if you want to go very early, I won at Pong against my brother/sister in the 70s.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:22 am

The Hobbit.

Spent a whole summer playing it.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:08 am

First game I completed was Galaxy Invader 1000 which just ends when you hit 9999

First console Atari 2600

I finished Space Invaders the score just resets... Also completed Atari Pac Man and Asteriods both just end with the screen going black and reverting to demo with score 999999!

Jungle King in the arcade was the first game I completed saving Jane from the Cannibals who wanted to cook her. And a animated ending with Jane kissing you.
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:25 am

Zybex on the Atari 800 I think. Took a really long time too.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:32 pm

I've been racking my head long and hard about this and I am pretty sure it was the ZX Spectrum version of Gauntlet, which really peed me off as it then just told you to insert the Deeper Dungeons tape!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Wow that is a fiendishly good question. I cant remember for the likes of me... I do remember completing Transylvania on the Apple II but I don't think that was the first.. just cant remember .. geez that's got me thinking..

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:18 pm

I think it must have been Adventure on the Atari 2600. Game 1 was easy, game 2 was trickier and game 3 put all objects in random places and was much harder. It was a great game for its time.

HdE

Post by HdE » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:50 pm

I think the first game I ever completed was Back to the Future on the ZX Spectrum. I remember being reaally pleased with myself until it dawned on me how easy the game actually was.

I think the next game I finished was Space Harrier on the Atari ST.

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:06 pm

As far as I can remember that would be Monty is Innocent on the Spectrum, not the best of Monty games but the only one I completed.

HdE

Post by HdE » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:56 pm

Arnie wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:06 pm
As far as I can remember that would be Monty is Innocent on the Spectrum, not the best of Monty games but the only one I completed.
Isn't that the one where you play as a weasel or something? And you have to bust Monty out of jail - except your player character keeps getting hidden behind the foreground graphics?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:47 pm

Yeah in Monty Is Innocent you played Sam Stoat - who also had his own game (Safe Breaker). It was actually a pretty short, neat game, and you could win it fairly easily - and end up not seeing half the rooms in the game. Totally different from the original and a little unfairly maligned imho.

First game I complete was Atic Atac, but not to 100% - is that even possible? In fact, reading RG it seems that quite a few Speccy games were uncompletable, as the difficulty was ramped up so high towards the end that the programmers assumed no one would be able to progress that far (as if POKES weren't available!) Dynamite Dan 2 is a good example of this, where the last island has no way to complete it - a real shame for anyone who persevered with the game to that point - but many other games were equally guilty. Of course due to memory restrictions (amongst other things) many games simply reset to the first level, but a few (usually shorter games) could be completed. One of the few I managed (without cheats) was Atic Atac as I've mentioned, but 3d Ant Attack was also fairly straightforward to win, as was getting to 10th dan on WOTEF. Saboteur was another game that could be fairly easily completed.

On a side note, in Monkey Island, 'Control'' and 'W' allowed you to 'Win' the game (and was included in the instructions. I'm assuming this was some kind of gag or parody (probably of a Sierra game) but I never figured this out for sure
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:56 am

Fire Ant on the C/16 plus 4, although after the congratulations message it just looped round to the first screen again

icemann

Post by icemann » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:56 pm

Hmm. Would definitely be something on the Atari 2600 as that was my first console. Issue there being that nearly all the games on it were endless.

First game that springs to mind is Double Dragon on that. It looked NOTHING like the arcade game, and certainly didn't play like it either. Took me quite a few attempts but I eventually beat it. Then never played it again. Second game would be Alex Kid in Miracle World on the Sega Master System. Played that game to death. Took me numerous attempts, and the fact that the final boss does a random rock, paper, scissors combo on every play through (unlike all the other bosses) made for many failed attempts. But perseverance pays off, and I eventually beat the game. I've never met anyone else whose beaten that game. Many that attempted it, but couldn't clear the final stage.

Third would be Golden Axe on that system as well. Great game.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Bruce Lee on the ZX Spectrum. That game was dead easy to complete though, I just used to go round and round completing and starting again. Great game!
I wasn't much of a 'completer' generally - something new would come along and I'd start on that.
Later on I completed Super Mario Bros. on my NES and then Captain Skyhawk.