Anyone know this arcade game from mid 80s?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Oblisky

Anyone know this arcade game from mid 80s?

Post by Oblisky » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:41 pm

I remember an arcade game from when I was a kid in a pub on holiday but no idea what it was called. From what I remember you were a centurion character or something like that and you fought other romanesque characters and skeletons. You had a sword and shield and once per level you could waggle the joystick up and down and you got a temporary barrier shield. It was right scrolling. I think if you hit an enemy enough times their armour broke. It would be mid 80s. Thanks for looking :D

Shinobi

Re: Anyone know this arcade game from mid 80s?

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:54 pm

That sounds like Gladiator or Great something as elite called the Computer versions

Guy in blue armour with a sword and shield deflecting fireballs weapons and killing bats and and what not. You fought equally large bosses starting with a weedy guy, then an Amazon Lady in pink armour, followed by a fat guy with a trident and net. The Skeleton was the last boss and was impossible to beat on the spectrum, as the programmer didn’t think anybody would get that far!
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:01 pm

You had 3 buttons for high medium and low attacks.. When you took a hit your mask and armour was shed and you could also knock the lady’s armour off. Shaking the stick up and down would conjure a Force field, and your sword broke as they got damaged
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:42 am

here's a video of Gladiator - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34K5RLq8ig
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:38 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:54 pm
That sounds like Gladiator or Great something as elite called the Computer versions

Guy in blue armour with a sword and shield deflecting fireballs weapons and killing bats and and what not. You fought equally large bosses starting with a weedy guy, then an Amazon Lady in pink armour, followed by a fat guy with a trident and net. The Skeleton was the last boss and was impossible to beat on the spectrum, as the programmer didn’t think anybody would get that far!
Great Gurianos was the home computer version.

Oblisky

Post by Oblisky » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:30 pm

Thanks folks. I just watched the youtube clip and its pretty much how I remember it. :D