Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

PS1Snake
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by PS1Snake » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:12 am

Hi

So recently I've decided to sell my factory sealed [Saturn] copy of Radiant Silvergun. I've owned it for several years, but now I feel it's time to sell it along with most of my other games.
I've never sold a high value game on eBay before, so I thought it would be wise to get some advice.
I would be grateful if anyone in the UK with experience in selling high value games on eBay could answer my questions and provide me with some useful suggestions.

The questions I have are below:

1) What would be a good starting price for a game such as Radiant Silvergun, and should I offer a "Buy It Now" option?
2) How long should I put it on sale for? Two weeks? Three weeks? I just don't know.
3) I live in England. Should I open the sale up to international buyers, or would it be safer to restrict the item to UK buyers only?
4) If I do open it up to international buyers, what do I need to consider? extra charges? taxes?
5) Which is best delivery service to use to send the item safely to the buyer? Is there a special service I should consider using?
(I've got a Post Office five minutes away from me.)
6)How much should I charge for postage and packaging?
7) Should I take out some kind of postal insurance on the item? If so what should I ask for at the Post Office?
8) Is there anything else that I should be wary of or consider before putting the game up for sale? Is there anything else I need to think about to protect myself as the seller?

It's been a few years since I last sold games on eBay. But those games weren't expensive or sought after, so it was just case of doing a quick advert, waiting for them sell and popping them in jiffy bags to the buyers. With a game such as Radiant Silvergun, it's a bit different - in my view - so naturally I feel I need to be prudent.

Any useful suggestions welcome

Thanks

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3121
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:48 pm

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by RetroBob » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 am

I've sold plenty of high value games over the years and always start with £0.99 auction. I always laugh at some of the joke BINs I see on ebay - sellers forget that the thrill of the chase will get people excited.

Take plenty of good quality photos and describe the item well. Show the front, the back and each spine.

You can prevent new, negative or low feedback buyers from bidding on your auctions - see the settings.

Make sure you sell this with tracked and signed for postage method and make sure it is well packed (consider a stiff cardboard box for this as well as internal packing). I would use the Royal Mail special delivery as this has good insurance. Do take a picture before you send it, as you are packing in case you need to claim back. You can find out how much postage will be on the post office website. Just get a CD and the packing materials you will use (remember, pack it well)

Generally speaking the best time to have an auction end is on a Sunday evening - i.e. people are in. A 7 day auction is plenty of time for this to get seen as people with saved searches will get alerts straight away.


I've shipped to Europe and the US before and had no issues when I've followed my own rules.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14855
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:17 am

Definitely offer international shipping if you can. I'd say 75% of the games and other stuff I sell gets sent abroad. People seem to pay more (even taking international shipping into consideration) for collectibles and games than they do here in the UK. Almost all of the high value games I have sold have gone to either Europe or Australia and I've got a lot more money for them than if I'd put them up for UK-only.

Whether it's because supply is lower outside of the UK, international buyers have more disposable money or simply that UK buyers are cheap(!), I don't know.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4739
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:05 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:12 pm

One thing I will add, with the exchange rates suppressed right now compared to how they were a few years ago, it's a UK sellers market for international sales, as buyers will bid against their local currency (eg. one buyer might go up to US$500 maximum), but when then converted, you end up with more £ as a result. They've not paid more than they want, but you get more due to better rates. Was finding this when selling my US Cube titles last couple of years... I was ending up with more pounds than I originally thought I'd get.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6731
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:34 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:55 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:17 am
Definitely offer international shipping if you can. I'd say 75% of the games and other stuff I sell gets sent abroad. People seem to pay more (even taking international shipping into consideration) for collectibles and games than they do here in the UK. Almost all of the high value games I have sold have gone to either Europe or Australia and I've got a lot more money for them than if I'd put them up for UK-only.

Whether it's because supply is lower outside of the UK, international buyers have more disposable money or simply that UK buyers are cheap(!), I don't know.
What postage do you use. I wouldn't be happy sending anything abroad unless it was tracked and that's probably expensive.
Image

PS1Snake
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by PS1Snake » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks for the replies guys
RetroBob wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 am
I've sold plenty of high value games over the years and always start with £0.99 auction. I always laugh at some of the joke BINs I see on ebay - sellers forget that the thrill of the chase will get people excited.
I just don't have the confidence to start with the price at £0.99. I paid about £250 for Radiant Silvergun back in 2009 (it was an impulse buy). I suppose I'm concerned that it'll end up selling for less than that if I start it at £0.99. Do you think the price will definitely shoot up if I start it at £0.99? And regarding the BIN option, I guess you think I should ditch it completely?
RetroBob wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 am
Make sure you sell this with tracked and signed for postage method and make sure it is well packed (consider a stiff cardboard box for this as well as internal packing). I would use the Royal Mail special delivery as this has good insurance. Do take a picture before you send it, as you are packing in case you need to claim back. You can find out how much postage will be on the post office website. Just get a CD and the packing materials you will use (remember, pack it well)

Generally speaking the best time to have an auction end is on a Sunday evening - i.e. people are in. A 7 day auction is plenty of time for this to get seen as people with saved searches will get alerts straight away.

I've shipped to Europe and the US before and had no issues when I've followed my own rules.
In your experience - when selling a single high value game - how much did you pay on average for international postage and packaging and how much did it (roughly) cost you to insure such items via Royal Mail's special delivery service? And when you shipped to the US, for example, did you encounter any unexpected extra charges? That's my biggest concern regarding international shipping.

Thanks for the tip regarding the auction time. If I wanted it to end on a Sunday evening would I have to put it up for a sale on a Sunday or can I manually select the end date and time? (Sorry, I haven't used eBay in a good while).
Megamixer wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:17 am
Definitely offer international shipping if you can. I'd say 75% of the games and other stuff I sell gets sent abroad. People seem to pay more (even taking international shipping into consideration) for collectibles and games than they do here in the UK. Almost all of the high value games I have sold have gone to either Europe or Australia and I've got a lot more money for them than if I'd put them up for UK-only.

Whether it's because supply is lower outside of the UK, international buyers have more disposable money or simply that UK buyers are cheap(!), I don't know.
Thanks for the advice, Megamixer. What I'm worried about is encountering unexpected hidden charges once the item arrives in, say, the US or Australia. Is that something I should be concerned about?
And what's the minimum that you paid on average for shipping and insurance when you sent an item abroad?
Mayhem wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:12 pm
One thing I will add, with the exchange rates suppressed right now compared to how they were a few years ago, it's a UK sellers market for international sales, as buyers will bid against their local currency (eg. one buyer might go up to US$500 maximum), but when then converted, you end up with more £ as a result. They've not paid more than they want, but you get more due to better rates. Was finding this when selling my US Cube titles last couple of years... I was ending up with more pounds than I originally thought I'd get.
Thanks Mayhem. I'll bear this in mind.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14855
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:21 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:55 pm
Megamixer wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:17 am
Definitely offer international shipping if you can. I'd say 75% of the games and other stuff I sell gets sent abroad. People seem to pay more (even taking international shipping into consideration) for collectibles and games than they do here in the UK. Almost all of the high value games I have sold have gone to either Europe or Australia and I've got a lot more money for them than if I'd put them up for UK-only.

Whether it's because supply is lower outside of the UK, international buyers have more disposable money or simply that UK buyers are cheap(!), I don't know.
What postage do you use. I wouldn't be happy sending anything abroad unless it was tracked and that's probably expensive.
Just Royal Mail's International Tracked + Signed service. If the item sells way in excess of the included insurance then I just pay for the next level. Touch wood, I've never had any issues at all.

As for how much it's going to cost, the best way to tell is to get the item packed in advance (but don't seal/tape it all up properly) so that you can get the weight and package dimensions. Then go through the process online to see how much it would cost to send. That or - if you prefer to speak face-to-face with somebody - just take it down to the Post Office so that they can weigh the package, size it up and give you the options regarding insurance.

I get the correct postage value and set that as the price. Then it's up to prospective buyers to decide if they are willing to pay that shipping cost or not.
PS1Snake wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:36 pm
I just don't have the confidence to start with the price at £0.99. I paid about £250 for Radiant Silvergun back in 2009 (it was an impulse buy). I suppose I'm concerned that it'll end up selling for less than that if I start it at £0.99. Do you think the price will definitely shoot up if I start it at £0.99? And regarding the BIN option, I guess you think I should ditch it completely?
It's a bit of a psychological thing. If sellers are all listing the same desirable game (or any product) for high BIN's all the time then people are always going to be looking for a chance to get it cheaper. After all, just becase X amount of copies of a game are listed at an average price, it doesn't mean that they are actually worth that because there's no gaurantee they will sell. So you start the same item on an auction at a lower price, buyers see an oppurtunity to get a better deal and bidding wars often take it up to (and sometimes beyond) the typical going rate as buyers refuse to back down. Quite often they will lose sight of the fact that the potential bargain has ended up costing them the same (or more) than the BIN alternatives that they were trying to avoid.

I sold a rare PS1 game that had a going rate of around £100. I started it at £20 and the bidding took it up to £160 at the end. Paid for promptly, shipped to France and the buyer was very happy with it.

Two more tips on this:

1. If you are that concerned about losing out then just start the game at the absolute minimum you would be willing to take for it. That way, if there's only a single bid then you've got what you wanted.

2. Don't look at what other people are asking for their copies; look at the actual sold listings to see what buyers have recently being willing to ACTUALLY pay. This gives you a better idea of how you should be pricing yours and what to expect.

Obviously there are freak results that swing either way (stuff selling for way in excess of the general value or way under) but that's just the nature of the auction beast...
PS1Snake wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:36 pm
Thanks for the advice, Megamixer. What I'm worried about is encountering unexpected hidden charges once the item arrives in, say, the US or Australia. Is that something I should be concerned about?
Customs/import charges on the other end aren't your responsibility. It's up the the buyer to be aware of how the charges work in their country. Whenever I've bought bulky items from Japan or the US then I've factored in the potential customs duty charges into my purchase. If it slips through the net then bonus, if not then that's just how it works. You could always place a disclaimer in your listing to remind international buyers that it's up to them to be aware of the import charges in their country.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

PS1Snake
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by PS1Snake » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:21 pm
Just Royal Mail's International Tracked + Signed service. If the item sells way in excess of the included insurance then I just pay for the next level. Touch wood, I've never had any issues at all.

As for how much it's going to cost, the best way to tell is to get the item packed in advance (but don't seal/tape it all up properly) so that you can get the weight and package dimensions. Then go through the process online to see how much it would cost to send. That or - if you prefer to speak face-to-face with somebody - just take it down to the Post Office so that they can weigh the package, size it up and give you the options regarding insurance.

I get the correct postage value and set that as the price. Then it's up to prospective buyers to decide if they are willing to pay that shipping cost or not.
Many thanks for the very helpful post, Megamixer - it makes things a lot clearer. I just have a question regarding the insurance. I've looked at the international compensation section on the Royal Mail website and under the "International Tracked and Signed" service it says the following in regard to compensation:

Compensation on the basis of actual loss, where evidence of posting and value can be provided. This is subject to the maximum payable being to the lower of the market value and £50. Unless enhanced compensation has been purchased in which case compensation up to the lower of the market value or £250 may be paid.
Enhanced compensation is not available for mobile telephones.
There are restrictions to sending cash to some destinations. The maximum compensation available for loss or damage to cash, securities or instruments to the bearer is £100.
No Consequential Loss is available.
Certificate of posting required and claims must be submitted within 6 months of posting.

i'm slightly confused about the bit in bold. Does this mean if my copy of Radiant Silvergun were to sell for eg £400 and something happens to it in the during transit, I will only get a maximum of £250 back? This "enhanced" compensation seems to be only option that goes beyond the maximum £50 payable for loss.
And regarding evidence of "posting and value" would photos of the packaged item and my proof of sending receipt be sufficient?

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3121
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:48 pm

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:26 am

Start/end time - you might be able to pay to specify the auction start time, but I never have as I am usually 'in' on a Sunday evening. I prepare the text and photos beforehand and just paste it in when setting up each auction.

Regarding the low start price, as others have said... this will generate interest and it's seen as a fair start, everyone has a chance... rather than some gouging £1000 @@@LOOK@@@ RARE BIN that just makes everyone think how much ebay sucks and never gives it a second look (personally I exclude high prices from my saved searches so I never even see them). I don't just start high value games at this price either, I start everything at this price and am happy to get/contribute to understanding market value, knowing that condition is important. Realistically it will quickly jump up and get a lot of watchers. During this time you WILL get people trying to offer you money to buy this outside of ebay - I wouldn't recommend it as you best price will be as a result of a bidding war.

Regarding international shipping... it's good to have the actual cost BUT in reality it doesn't really matter with a high ticket item if you are off by a few pounds here or there. You should consider this... a high international shipping cost might put off bidders, weather they know it or not... it's psychology. Ideally you want lots of people excited and confident to bid... not resisting because at the back of their mind it says it'll cost €20 to ship (or whatever); chances are most people will be bidding in the UK so if a few people abroad help increase the total, so be it... and if someone wins send it tracked/signed/insured just in case. I don't think I've paid more than €10-15 Euros or $20 to ship anything as light as a single game.

To reiterate... you need good pictures and description, and make sure you keep the auction title simple and accurate (misspellings will screw you). Change your settings to block zero feedback bidders, or new members (100% scam, no one joins ebay to buy Radiant Silvergun); block/allow specific countries if you wish - personally I've had no issues shipping to US, Europe and Australia/NZ - maybe I have everywhere else blocked.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

PS1Snake
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by PS1Snake » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:30 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:26 am
Start/end time - you might be able to pay to specify the auction start time, but I never have as I am usually 'in' on a Sunday evening. I prepare the text and photos beforehand and just paste it in when setting up each auction.

Regarding the low start price, as others have said... this will generate interest and it's seen as a fair start, everyone has a chance... rather than some gouging £1000 @@@LOOK@@@ RARE BIN that just makes everyone think how much ebay sucks and never gives it a second look (personally I exclude high prices from my saved searches so I never even see them). I don't just start high value games at this price either, I start everything at this price and am happy to get/contribute to understanding market value, knowing that condition is important. Realistically it will quickly jump up and get a lot of watchers. During this time you WILL get people trying to offer you money to buy this outside of ebay - I wouldn't recommend it as you best price will be as a result of a bidding war.

Regarding international shipping... it's good to have the actual cost BUT in reality it doesn't really matter with a high ticket item if you are off by a few pounds here or there. You should consider this... a high international shipping cost might put off bidders, weather they know it or not... it's psychology. Ideally you want lots of people excited and confident to bid... not resisting because at the back of their mind it says it'll cost €20 to ship (or whatever); chances are most people will be bidding in the UK so if a few people abroad help increase the total, so be it... and if someone wins send it tracked/signed/insured just in case. I don't think I've paid more than €10-15 Euros or $20 to ship anything as light as a single game.

To reiterate... you need good pictures and description, and make sure you keep the auction title simple and accurate (misspellings will screw you). Change your settings to block zero feedback bidders, or new members (100% scam, no one joins ebay to buy Radiant Silvergun); block/allow specific countries if you wish - personally I've had no issues shipping to US, Europe and Australia/NZ - maybe I have everywhere else blocked.
Thanks for the tips, RetroBob. I wasn't going to open it up to the international market, but after reading the suggestions here, I think I will now.
I'm still a little wary about starting at £0.99p. I suppose I'm concerned only a few people will be interested in Radiant Silvergun (as it is an item aimed at a very niche audience), and when the bidding war happens in the final hours it'll go for a lot less than I paid for it - because only a few people are interested. I guess I just have to be confident enough to start it that low.
I never knew bidder settings could be customised in the ways you described. I'll definitely look into it.

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14855
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:44 pm

PS1Snake wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:25 pm
i'm slightly confused about the bit in bold. Does this mean if my copy of Radiant Silvergun were to sell for eg £400 and something happens to it in the during transit, I will only get a maximum of £250 back? This "enhanced" compensation seems to be only option that goes beyond the maximum £50 payable for loss.
And regarding evidence of "posting and value" would photos of the packaged item and my proof of sending receipt be sufficient?
I'm afraid I can't help you with this as though I've sold expensive stuff, I haven't breached that £250 barrier before so I don't really know how it works. I would go down to a Post Office and get some clarification if you wanted to be 100% sure on the situation.

Not sure if specialist courier companies offer higher insurance but they would probably charge more. Again, I can't speak from experience as I don't use the likes of UPS, DHL etc. because having stuff collected from me to be shipped abroad just isn't convenient with my work patterns and all that.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3121
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:48 pm

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by RetroBob » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:13 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:26 am
I'm still a little wary about starting at £0.99p. I suppose I'm concerned only a few people will be interested in Radiant Silvergun (as it is an item aimed at a very niche audience), and when the bidding war happens in the final hours it'll go for a lot less than I paid for it - because only a few people are interested. I guess I just have to be confident enough to start it that low.
Only a few people interested in Radiant Silvergun, are you crazy, this is one of the Saturn gems!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

psj3809
Posts: 18692
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:55 pm

Start at 99p for sure, thats how you normally get a great bidding war

Start too high and people just think you're being greedy. Its bad enough its one of these sealed games (bah humbug !) but i wouldnt go crazy with the starting price.

Do your research, search on ebay for completed listings for this game and if they all go high then you know you'll be fine

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4739
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:05 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by Mayhem » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:09 am

PS1Snake wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:25 pm
i'm slightly confused about the bit in bold. Does this mean if my copy of Radiant Silvergun were to sell for eg £400 and something happens to it in the during transit, I will only get a maximum of £250 back? This "enhanced" compensation seems to be only option that goes beyond the maximum £50 payable for loss. And regarding evidence of "posting and value" would photos of the packaged item and my proof of sending receipt be sufficient?
Royal Mail only insure international shipments up to £250, they will do up to £2500 on UK destinations. If you want to insure for more than £250 on an international package, it has to go Parcelforce instead. Or another third party courier (here's where sites such as Parcelmonkey help).

Evidence of posting would be the receipt with the tracking number you got when posting the item. Evidence of value would be the finished eBay listing etc.
RetroBob wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:13 pm
Only a few people interested in Radiant Silvergun, are you crazy, this is one of the Saturn gems!
Thing is, for a game that had not a massive print run, there's always copies being sold on eBay, it's quite odd.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4568
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: Selling sealed Radiant Silvergun - looking for advice

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:04 pm

£250 for Radiant Silvergun? I feel sorry for genuine collectors wishing to pay through the nose for stuff like this, when others just treat this industry as a business and way to make a quick quid.

Its an awful lot of money for a jewel case, instructions and a compact disc with an ISO on, when you can buy the exact identical game on Xbox Live for about £6 minus the plasticky and papery bits, except with the option to upgrade the textures or switch back to Saturn mode. Having said that, if people are willing to pay out this kind of money, then have at it....i'm just glad I can still play the game without paying silly money for it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests