Atari : A Visual History Book

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Greyfox

Atari : A Visual History Book

Post by Greyfox » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Hello everybody,

Many of you may know me and many of you may not, I was the creator of a couple of Atari digital publications a few years back. The Atari Gamer Magazine and the Atari ST Gamer Series found over @ http://www.Atarigamer.co.uk and the AtariCrypt Atari ST Magazine and for those wondering whatever happened to the Coin-op: The Arcade Guidebook, It's finished and is seeking a publisher, based on the print size of the book was way over my head to go it along and hopefully I will be making a final announcement in relation to that later in the year. :D

I had decided that I had given the Atari community some great products to enjoy over the last few years and decided I wouldn't produce anymore Atari content in the near future, but recently had seen some products that completely fitted the bill for me in a direction I wanted to go in for quite some time and have now returned and began work on a new book publication I am very passionate about I knew this had to be done because of the complete lack of the Atari 8-bit computer coverage and its incredible software in any recent publication, so with that I present to you all a new Atari publication in the works. The book also has a professional proofreader on board to make sure all those word gremlins and grammar issues get stamped out way before the book goes to press.

The Sales Pitch

The books premise will be to cover a huge majority of classic third-party Atari 8-bit software from such amazing software houses, like Datasoft, Broderbund and a selection of commercial homebrew games plus many more for the first time giving these games the exposure in a visual compendium never seen in a format of this type before. The Book will also deliver a selection of Interviews with Game designers who worked on the Atari 8-bit computers and other unannounced additions to the book that you will see when released. I will also be profiling three Atari 8-bit machines the Atari 800 - Atari 800XL and the Atari 130XE home computers with additional photography of these computers throughout the book as well as a choice selection of Atari related Peripherals. With the completed publication completed, I will be taking the product to a crowdfunding platform in order to allow this publication to become a physical book for all Atari 8-bit fans and vintage computer enthusiasts that share an interest in the Atari 8-bit Home computer. Also to help the project meet its goal I will be working very closely with http://www.rhayadercomputers.co.uk in order to create some very unique and fantastic perks to add to the book that will not be available anywhere else so there is a lot of stuff in the works for this project.

The Book Previews

When creating something like this I am all about the visuals of a product and want to give the best experience in seeing these wonderful pieces of art and code and gameplay become one, so with that each game covered in the book with include on the left a remastered image of the Box or cassette inlay artwork with a 200 word write about the game and a single screenshot of the games in action, I have chosen not include any Offical Atari-branded games in the book due to facing a possible Cease and Desist violation order against the book that could prevent the book being released and will be going through under fair usage and investigative journalism allowing this to be successful as an Unofficial Visual History of the Atari 8-bit. This was something I decided I would do after what Atari had placed against Marc Oberhäuser and his Atari related publication. So please enjoy the previews of the some of the games that will be included in the book.

I wish to personally thank you all for your time here, and hopefully we can make history with this book, I truly wish to go all out in a blaze of glory with it and with your help we can, so please get in touch with me via PM here @ Retro Gamer forum or support@atarigamer.co.uk if you can help with this project, all will be included within the book as the main contributor.

Thanks, everyone for your time

Kind regards

Darren.

Creator of the Atari Gamer Magazine Series
www.AtariGamer.co.uk
Please support the magazine today!
Last edited by Greyfox on Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

merman

Re: Atari : A Visual History Book (Concept Project)

Post by merman » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:57 pm

Good luck with the project
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Many thanks, going from strength to strength and I haven't even started to put together its fundraiser campaign yet? I have a serious amount of input and support from the Atari community so far and will be making some announcements soon about this.

At present, I'm designing and designing so working through that content and getting things to the proofreader for the evaluation of content and attempting to explain what that content is about to the guy :lol:

So flying through barriers at the moment 👍
ImageImage

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:28 pm

Greyfox wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:19 pm
Many thanks, going from strength to strength and I haven't even started to put together its fundraiser campaign yet? I have a serious amount of input and support from the Atari community so far and will be making some announcements soon about this.

At present, I'm designing and designing so working through that content and getting things to the proofreader for the evaluation of content and attempting to explain what that content is about to the guy :lol:

So flying through barriers at the moment 👍
I have helped proofread other computer books, so get in touch...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Many Thanks Andrew, if the author I have is fully unable to commit to the project, I would very much want to commission you on board as with your history of these platforms, you'll be very well versed in the subject matter.

So many thanks again.

Kind regards

Darren
ImageImage

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 am

Looks very nice.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Thank you Tom.

Raising the bar and hopefully setting the standard 👍
ImageImage

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:51 am

Loving the look of this, would be on board for sure

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:04 am

Just popping in with an update for those interested in this production, lots of things have been happening , one of which acquiring a selection of never interviewed people that worked on a lot of great Atari 8-bit software been covered from the European side of the industry, the struggles, the outcomes, some really great stuff here. The design work is coming along brilliantly too with now over 240 pages of the hopeful total of 430 pages in the final book.

We are still seeking out those wanting to help with entry reviews of their favourite Atari title as most other authors flog this type of thing as perks etc, I never wanted to do this as I feel if you lived those days and remember, we want to read about it and so on..

So the aim is to fund raise this in the new year as soon as all the work is done, I don't wish to be still working on this during the crowdfunding campaign so it should be quite a quick progress to get this into the hands of everyone who supported the project. I wish post some new previews in a couple of days.

Thanks for everyone's time here

Kind regards

Darren.
ImageImage

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:28 am

This looks very nice. If you're thinking of putting it on Kickstarter, I for sure would back it. Games at that time had some fantastic artwork in adverts and on boxes, which really fired the imagination where the in-game graphics could not, so hopefully that will come through in the book; certainly from the screens you've shown this is the case.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Yes, the box art within the book are from private collectors that have scanned them directly for this book all 130 plus titles from all the world, English games, americian games, commercial homebrew games will all be in here, I can also say that they won't be bias in the book either, I personally hate that, the content will either reveal as good or complete sh!te , so there is no rose tinted glasses been worn in this project, this includes the interviews or correspondence with people involved. If it offends then theyll have to live with that lol.

Thanks for your interest

Darren.
ImageImage

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:29 pm

Looks great

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:38 pm

I never even owned a Atari computer/console and I would buy this. It looks great.

Glad to hear the arcade book is still happening as I was chomping at the bit when was originally announced.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:55 pm

Many thanks guys for the great support as promised some new book pages, really like these 😁, hopefully you will too.
:) :wink: :mrgreen:
ImageImage

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Being a self confessed Atari nut I will certainly be buying one when it comes out, probably the hardback version for me .
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!