What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Which do you prefer... cassettes, or big 5¼" floppies??

Cassettes
13
52%
Big Floppies
12
48%
 
Total votes: 25

NorthWay
Posts: 1570
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:48 pm

I got a 1541 and never looked back. Though I'd probably prefered a turning lock instead of a push down tab to lock down the floppy, if I had known there were other configs.
In my collection I have 8", 5.25", 3.5", 3" and 1.8" (IIRC - from an Apricot I think) plus a Zip disk but no Iomega (I have the 35G drive itself). Oh, and a magnetic tape from an IBM mainframe and a coupla more tape types.

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Spector » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:05 pm

I've put a poll on this topic because there seems to be a lot of answers either way. I've started things off by voting for tapes :)
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by The Laird » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:40 pm

I hated tape loading, it was the main reason I got an Atari 2600.

When I moved to the Atari ST I never looked back, I loved using disks. Especially being able to do my college on my ST at home and then load it up on the PCs there.

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:19 am

Cassettes for me. Could go make a coffee, toast some bread, walk the dog and do the washing up just in time for the game to load. (or just sit and listen to the generally excellent loading music on the C64).

User avatar
Arnie
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Arnie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:30 am

I guess now that would depend on the machine I'm using. In my early days with the ZX Spectrum it was cassette as there was no real standard of floppy drive available until much later with the +3, but by then I'd moved on to the Amiga 500.
On the C64 I guess either way as unless a speed loader was used even floppy was slow, I've not experience commercial releases on disk to judge them but at least most cassette game played nice music whilst you wait.
Atari 8bit would have to be disk, my experience of loading from tape finds it to be dreadfully slow. Head over Heels must be on a c30 or more just for one game.
Acorn BBC disk all the way if the software was available. The beeb works so well with a drive even when shared over its network connection.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26635
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:29 am

Its worth bearing in mind that most tape games, especially on C64, used speedloaders too. A c64 game at normal speed takes 20-30 minutes to load off tape. Speccy is faster, but even that uses speedloaders in later games.

Using modern tech (like an iPod/MP3/WAV player), its possible to get a much cleaner signal than analogue tape, so speedloaders can reach silly levels. I had Skool Daze speedloading on my Atmos in well under 1 minute, faster than most of the disk drives of the day for 8 bit systems.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike
Posts: 3653
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:29 am

Well I voted for Big floppy, and I did it with the same smile on my face as when I turn to Uranus in a book on Planets. Proving I may be old but still as immature as censored :)

User avatar
Back in Time Sime
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Back in Time Sime » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:58 am

Like most I had a cassette player for my Commodore 64 and just dreamed of one day having disks... playing Summer Games II was great, again though always dreaming of how quick it would be on disk, imagine being able to save your world records... Multi Load was a real pain in the butt, and reading a review in Zzap!64 where they said they where reviewing the disk version, you knew on cassette you where in for pain... Little Computer People was so cut down... eventually I got a disk drive and it was as amazing as I had hoped.

Disks do indeed rulz
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw

User avatar
Treguard
Posts: 2392
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:13 am

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Treguard » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:18 am

I only ever had Cassettes before getting an Amiga. I was only a kid and couldn't afford the ridiculous price for a disk drive as advertised from mail order companies in Amstrad Action, next to the Romantic Robot ad.

User avatar
gunbladelad
Posts: 945
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Scotland
Contact:

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by gunbladelad » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:04 pm

I always used tapes back in the day - but with the advent of the floppy disc, loading became much faster. Still, it's always good to be able to start loading a game, go and make a cuppa and take your time coming back to the game.
Where logic won't work, I will

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Spector » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:24 pm

Looking at the answers, it's clearly dependant on what computer you had. It it were an Atari 8 bit, then disks were better cause tapes took three years to load. The C64 wasn't much better till later on when turbos brought load times under six minutes. With the Spectrum though - the best micro for tape loading ever - it was clearly the best option, as games loaded fairly quickly, plus the school playground C90 culture gave you a library of games for next to nothing.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:34 am

Spector wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:24 pm
Looking at the answers, it's clearly dependant on what computer you had. It it were an Atari 8 bit, then disks were better cause tapes took three years to load. The C64 wasn't much better till later on when turbos brought load times under six minutes. With the Spectrum though - the best micro for tape loading ever - it was clearly the best option, as games loaded fairly quickly, plus the school playground C90 culture gave you a library of games for next to nothing.
Its the best option if you couldn't afford a C64, and preferred immense sprite flicker and an amazing 4 colours on screen at once as well as ear piercing bleep-bleep audio. :D

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Spector » Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:45 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:34 am
Spector wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:24 pm
Looking at the answers, it's clearly dependant on what computer you had. It it were an Atari 8 bit, then disks were better cause tapes took three years to load. The C64 wasn't much better till later on when turbos brought load times under six minutes. With the Spectrum though - the best micro for tape loading ever - it was clearly the best option, as games loaded fairly quickly, plus the school playground C90 culture gave you a library of games for next to nothing.
Its the best option if you couldn't afford a C64, and preferred immense sprite flicker and an amazing 4 colours on screen at once as well as ear piercing bleep-bleep audio. :D
:D
When I saw you replied, I just knew it was a wind up!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

User avatar
Sephiroth81
Posts: 4572
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 am

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:46 am

Spector wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:45 am
Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:34 am
Spector wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:24 pm
Looking at the answers, it's clearly dependant on what computer you had. It it were an Atari 8 bit, then disks were better cause tapes took three years to load. The C64 wasn't much better till later on when turbos brought load times under six minutes. With the Spectrum though - the best micro for tape loading ever - it was clearly the best option, as games loaded fairly quickly, plus the school playground C90 culture gave you a library of games for next to nothing.
Its the best option if you couldn't afford a C64, and preferred immense sprite flicker and an amazing 4 colours on screen at once as well as ear piercing bleep-bleep audio. :D
:D
When I saw you replied, I just knew it was a wind up!
I couldn't let your trolling go without some retaliatory trolling! :mrgreen:

User avatar
Spector
Posts: 2459
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: What did you prefer: cassettes or 5¼" floppies?

Post by Spector » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:57 am

Hmm, I didn't think it was trolling. I just assumed everyone accepted that because the Spectrum was quickest at loading tapes without sacrificing reliability, and the coloured loading bars gave you a good indication of anything that was wrong. So are there people here in the know who think the C64 or the (gasp!) Atari 8 bit are better for tapes??
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest