The Shoot-em up term

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

The Shoot-em up term

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Was is Crash or Zzap that first coined the term Shoot-em-up?

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:23 pm

Shoot 'em up was definitely in existence pre-Zzap!, but that mag coined the contraction 'shmup'. See this link > linky for the Zzapspeak article from issue 3.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:48 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Shoot 'em up was definitely in existence pre-Zzap!, but that mag coined the contraction 'shmup'. See this link > linky for the Zzapspeak article from issue 3.
That's what I thought too, but I wasn't sure enough to post. :roll:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:56 am

CraigGrannell wrote:Shoot 'em up was definitely in existence pre-Zzap!, but that mag coined the contraction 'shmup'. See this link > linky for the Zzapspeak article from issue 3.
cheers Craig, I knew they coined something :)

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:20 am

I remember back in 1980 when Defender came out in the arcades,I used to spend my dinner money playing Asteroids.Another kid played Defender and said to me,"you should give it a go,it's the best shoot 'em up ever!"

I did and it was.That was the first time I ever heard or read that term for a shooting game,and I thought it sounded cool.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:17 am

I just had a look on Wikipedia, and, as usual, it's stunning in its level of accuracy:
These games were traditionally just called "shooters,"[citation needed] but with the advent of new technology, new genres emerged like first person shooters, rail shooters and third person shooters, and the "shoot 'em up" term came to indicate this narrower school of design.[citation needed] This is sometimes shortened to "shmup."
Wow. Apparently, it was the onset of rail shooters and third person shooters that gave birth to the term; presumably, someone then went back in a time machine and told it to someone else, hence it pre-dating those types of games.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:54 am

CraigGrannell wrote:I just had a look on Wikipedia, and, as usual, it's stunning in its level of accuracy:
These games were traditionally just called "shooters,"[citation needed] but with the advent of new technology, new genres emerged like first person shooters, rail shooters and third person shooters, and the "shoot 'em up" term came to indicate this narrower school of design.[citation needed] This is sometimes shortened to "shmup."
Wow. Apparently, it was the onset of rail shooters and third person shooters that gave birth to the term; presumably, someone then went back in a time machine and told it to someone else, hence it pre-dating those types of games.
That intro is shockingly bad. No idea where the author got all that "information".

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:14 am

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:That intro is shockingly bad. No idea where the author got all that "information".
From his "brain".

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:25 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
The Penultimate Ninja wrote:That intro is shockingly bad. No idea where the author got all that "information".
From his "brain".
Does a vacuum produce information then...? =-)

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:41 am

Didn't ZZAP! also first use the term aardvark to describe arcade-adventures?

MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:50 am

From CraigGrannell's link:
"Useful abbreviation coined by the mag Micro Adventurer (RIP) for the long-winded term 'arcade adventure'"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:58 am

Aardvark didn't quite catch on the same way. Funny that.

The shmup thing is correct though. Prior to that, they'd be referenced as 'space shooters', 'shoot them ups/alls', even just plain old 'shooters'.

Zzap contracted to 'shmup' and it sort of stuck, though you'll find younger users adding a 'c' so it comes out 'schmup', not knowing the origin of the term and how ridiculous that looks (yes, Elgin, that includes you ;) )

[edit]
I just read back my post and realised I pretty much just repeated what was already confirmed. I'm sure I had a point when I started...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:07 am

I knew what i meant, it why it's abbreviated as such, still blame learning German at school for my many many references to schmups. :oops:

Was even actually thinking sbout that earlier this morning, I have to think about it when I spell it.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:11 am

LeeT wrote:Didn't ZZAP! also first use the term aardvark to describe arcade-adventures?
But that one is just stupid :? At least Shmup is was it says.

station

Post by station » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:27 pm

I've never used the word 'shmup', sounds ridiculous.