Coleco Evolved

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809

Coleco Evolved

Post by psj3809 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:49 am

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/90 ... b4f1219e17

Interesting. Not sure of the games though

Matt_B

Re: Coleco Evolved

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 09, 2018 2:15 am

Thankfully it's not from the same people who brought us the Chameleon. This might actually happen.

I've got to agree about the games though. Even allowing for the fact that they're probably not going to be able to do licence deals with Sega and Nintendo like they did back in the 80s, they ought to be able to do better than a mediocre old GBA shooter and some sort of Brony fan effort.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed May 09, 2018 2:53 am

Yeah, they are cute for sure, I loved those original Coleco tabletops. The design over the gameplay of course, which didn't play as well as some of the stand alones or game and watches.

A quite cool idea, but I agree the games seem a little odd choice wise.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:25 am

hmmm.. you know what, I had to click on this because Ive always loved the idea of mini arcade tabletops, and they always looked better than they played, and you know, if there was a selection of say three or 5 classics I might just have backed this. Classics perhaps with an arrangement option so you get the old and a new version, that'd be perfect.But having two games that have nothing to do with the classic arcade cabinet days, to me just seems pointless. Also lets face it, they wont ever increase in value over time in my opinion, so you'd better really, really love those games.. that nobody has ever played before. So the amount of trust involved to me unwarrants a backing.

Shame because I would have jumped into my second kickstarter if they had been classic arcade games.. it would have gone some way in re-writing some of the past :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:34 am

Interesting, but poor game choices. They could be a very good base for hacking though. Perhaps a Pi or something similar to replace the innards if it can connect to the screen ok. Hacking the controls would be easy. One of these with a minimal MAME install of classic games would be excellent.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.